Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Volume goes up and down

Solved!

Volume goes up and down

Hi. I'm having an issue which renders the app useless. When listening to music in the car via Bluetooth through the car's speaker system, the volume keeps fluctuating down and back up to where it was before. I noticed this happening for the past couple of months. I use an android with lollipop. Any suggestions? I already tried the nuplayer thing, which didn't work as the option was already unchecked!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

OK. I've found the problem. The solution came to me when I switched over to Tidal (take it easy guys, I was just trying to resolve the issue!). I had the same issue with Tidal but this time I noticed it happening only when I had the SatNav app on. I read some other comments here and elsewhere and found out about something called 'ducking'. This is when the spotify app volume lowers temporarily for SatNav announcements and other phone pings etc. Anyway, other people were complaining about the sound not lowering enough to hear an SMS ping or indeed the SatNav direction announcements. My issue was that even though the SatNav announcements were disabled, the volume of spotify was still lowering at various intervals. After looking at the SatNav settings again, I noticed that the voice announcements were lowered to zero, but NOT switched-off. I then switched-off all the sound (rather than just lowering the sound to zero) and that solved the problem. Now I can listen to spotify (and Tidal, although I'll be going back to Spotify full-time without any volume issues! A collective thank-you to you all.

View solution in original post

18 Replies

Hmm, sounds like an equalizer possibly calibrating. Can you try disabling the EQ and see if this helps?

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

I think about the distance possibility. Who knows?
Sincerely, Eka Awaludin

bump i notice this too and i have the eq disabled
Marked as solution

OK. I've found the problem. The solution came to me when I switched over to Tidal (take it easy guys, I was just trying to resolve the issue!). I had the same issue with Tidal but this time I noticed it happening only when I had the SatNav app on. I read some other comments here and elsewhere and found out about something called 'ducking'. This is when the spotify app volume lowers temporarily for SatNav announcements and other phone pings etc. Anyway, other people were complaining about the sound not lowering enough to hear an SMS ping or indeed the SatNav direction announcements. My issue was that even though the SatNav announcements were disabled, the volume of spotify was still lowering at various intervals. After looking at the SatNav settings again, I noticed that the voice announcements were lowered to zero, but NOT switched-off. I then switched-off all the sound (rather than just lowering the sound to zero) and that solved the problem. Now I can listen to spotify (and Tidal, although I'll be going back to Spotify full-time without any volume issues! A collective thank-you to you all.

I dont have SatNav appplication installed, but volume goes up and down all the time. I have downgraded my Spotify to a previous version but the problem is still there.

Hi All, 

Im currently having the following issue my self..

I have a Samsung S6. While listening my music over bluetooth or headset the music goes up and down like a yoyo.

THe following step i have taken trying to resolve the issue.

1. Removed all my cached musci from phone.

2. Remove App from phone.

3. Re install APP 

4. Downloaded a few playlist Still having issues.

5. Reset my phone and install app again.

6. Download other playlist just in case was the playlist i was using but still have the issue.

7. Also change my download quality from normal to high and still issue.

I have not been able to use spotify for the last week or so as it is really annoying. Im a premium member also.

If spotify supports has any view of the following can you please advise what else i need to do to get spotify working again.

Hi @mred77

Do you have an EQ Apps installed that may be affecting this? I do recall Samsung supply their own Equaliser which tended o cause issues like this. Try disabling it and seeing if the issue is resolved

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

In my case I disabled the SoundAlive+ option on my S6 and it seems to have resolved the issue (on My Ford Touch at least). Weird since I never had this problem with Rdio...

I have the note 5 and been having the same problem. Very annoying but i turned off soundalive+ and so far so good ...fingers crossed

Turning off Sound alive+ option in equalizer solved my problem in Samsung note 5. If does affect SQ turning it off.. But definitely better than fluctuation of volume.

Can you tell me the exact steps to disable the SoundAlive EQ in spotify? Thanks!

The option is directly in you phone, not in spotify 😉

I just received Android 6.0 so the "path" to get to the option may differ
but : Settings --> Sound and Vibration --> Sound quality and effect (at the
bottom) --> SoudAlive+ slider

Thank You! 🙂

I am having this same problem and SoundAlive+ has always been disabled on my phone. I also have a stock S6 and no other equalizer apps. Tube Amp Pro is also disabled and my Spotify settings are all at base settings. Sitting here trying to figure this out while listening to a Bluetooth speaker at work. Annoyed about sums it up.

I had the exact same problem but when playing Spotify on my Chromecast...

But I've found a solution ! I switched my Chromecast (2nd Gen) to a different HDMI Port and... that's it. 

I don't know why but on my TV (Samsung UE46F6400) the HDMI3 port is a pain in the a$$... Even with a PS3 or PS4 I haven't access to all the functions (like Game Mode and picture parameters...). The 3 other ports are fine, so it's somthing you can try 😉

Hope it helps.

I like to know where can I find the satnav on my LG ,since every time I search for it in my settings it says no search found. I'm only 13,so I'm confused and I don't want to have this problem for any longer. It's been giving me a problem for a year or two and I hate it every time when it lowers my volume, while I'm on youtube and when I don't even need the volume,the volume bar decides to pop up for no reason.It does that every single day.Every single day I'm on my phone.So,please help me.I'm desperate.

Just a note for oneplus 5 users. If this happens to you, and you have the equalizer off (on spotify), try changing the bluetooth audio codec, settings>advanced>bluetooth audio codec... I changed it from SBC to aptX HD and it was good for a few days but it hasn´t fixed a problem fully... maybe because when a bluetooth speaker with a mic "hears" audio, it decreases volume so you can speak (to reduce background noise)... Haven´t found another solution so far...

I had this same problem with my Samsung S8 turning it's self down, but this worked for me. Go to settings then "Sounds and Vibrations" then make sure "Use Volume Keys For Media" is turned ON! This bypasses the auto volume and allows you to control the volume by default. This worked for me, i hope it works for you.

Suggested posts