Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

WARNING! Spotify connect is not free!

WARNING! Spotify connect is not free!

Most of you probably know about when you listen to spotify on your computer it will also start playing on your mobile device and drain your battery and mess up your playlist. But that's not all. Did you know it uses a lot of data on your mobile as well? A data plan is not free in this world. I pay for every single MB! And every single MB is valuable to me.

Are we just going to accept that spotify runs on our mobile devices and cost us extra when we are not even using the device? No way!

Battery drain. data drain, messed up playlist. It's hard to understand how a feature with this much flaws are implemented. It's clearly not thought through. Sorry to say this but incompetence comes to mind. I'm out.

13 Replies

Hello 🙂

Im sorry but i just can't understand you frustation at all :D. If you want to listen to your songs in offline mode without getting charged for your web traffic, why don't you just order spotify premium? Or just diasble your web traffic for the spotify app? All of those problems you listed here will be solved by using premium :D.

Anyway, im really sorry for your bad mood

i think you need some good music now... like the new music friday playlist made by spotify... oh i forgot... you don't like the best music service in the world 😉

I think you'll come back to spotify in a few months... because you'll realise your sins. 😄

p.s. im currently listening to "adventure club - gold" and this songs is pushing my mood ;). here you can find a legal link to hear this song completely for FREE!!!:

Adventure Club – Gold (feat. Yuna)

See you soon 🙂

Kind regards,

Max aka. Amarro

If i helped you don't forget to leave a "Kudo" or "Accept as Solution".

( Twitter // Spotify )

What is a Spotify Rock Star and how do i become one?

Im not a Spotify Employee.

We shouldn't have to explicitly disable a feature we never wanted. If it uses non-wifi (ie. paid for) data, it should be disabled by default and require explicit enabling.

We love Spotify, we just don't like the way Spotify Connect has been introduced in a broken, buggy state that is costing people money they didn't expect and shouldn't have to be paying!

I like the idea of Spotify Connect, I just don't want it all the time - 99% of the time I want each of my devices to maintain their own separate playlists and never influence each other.

Connect should have a feature toggle, and one that doesn't last only 30 days (then we have to remember the switch it on again or be charged / have out Spotify clients doing things we never wanted) and probably disables other features we may actually want to use.

@AllenJB thank you for saying your opinion in a friendly tone :). Yes i can understand you and probably spotify should work a little bit more on the beta tests ;).

Kind regards,

Max aka. Amarro

( Twitter // Spotify )

Amarro, you are missing the point. First of all I am I premium subscriber, have been for many years. Second, I use both offline and online playlists. I love to discover new music and I use the radio a lot and I like to browse others playlists and so on. But I do not want spotify to suck my data plan when I'm at home listening to music on my computer! I don't want to go into the settings to toggle offline mode on/off every time I come home.

im really sorry that i didn't understand you... seriously excuse me.

Well are you agreeing with this here? The idea is also suggested for Android devices as well.

If you leave a kudo there the idea will get more attention and will maybe get implemented into spotify soon 😉

P.s. Im really sorry that i maybe offended you with my sarcastic sentences from the first post.. won't happen again.

Kind regards,

Max aka. Amarro

( Twitter // Spotify )

Hey @mrmozz ,

first, I didn't know it uses data on mobile while playing in the desktop app. But you mean the data of your wi-fi, right? Because Connect works within the same wlan network.. and most people have unlimited data plans for their home connection.

But well, why I wanted to comment in the first place is to get your attention for a submission of our ideas exchange. Have a look at the following link and leave your comments/kudos there to support the idea that could solve your problem:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Make-Spotify-Connect-a-choice/idi-p/729015

Hey @Carina

No I don't mean wi-fi. Connect works with mobile data network too.

I've left comments and kudos to support the idea to make Spotify Connect a choice..

Strange, that never happened to me.

Humm.. Are you not connected to your wi-fi with your phone when being at home?

Hi there,

Spotify Connect isn't bound to a local network. This means it can be used at any network. This makes it possible to control your pc from your Smartphone while being connected to a Mobile Network. If you want to disable Spotify Connect, then I would recommend kudoing and supporting the "Make Spotify Connect a choice" idea.

There is also another option to disable the Connect feature, but that requires rooting your device.

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/UNOFFICIAL-GUIDE-How-to-disable-Spotify-Connect/td-p/97...

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
Last.fm | Twitter

Backstage Intro - Meet Jordi!
What's it like to be in a Spotify Office?

Did I help? Please add a like!
Did I solve your issue? Please accept as the solution!

@Carina

Sometimes I'm connected to wi-fi at home, sometimes not. But it does'nt matter. The point is Spotify users should'nt be forced to use wi-fi on their mobile phone at home just because Spotify sucks data. Don't you agree? But wi-fi will only solve one third of the problem with connect. It will still mess up my current playlist and drain battery.

Yes that's true, but since you've said you pay for every extra mb I'd think about switching to wi-fi immediately when coming home.. Because it's cheaper.

The drain battery thing can probably only be solved with a "on/off Connect" toggle, so hopefully this is going to be implemented. Last but not least, I've read here and there users complaing about "messed up playlists" and I can totally understand it but there's no fix right now.

@Carina

I did'nt say i pay for extra MB. I pay real money for every single MB in my data plan. I do not get any for free. We all pay for our data plans don't we? My point is that I don't want to waste any of my MB on Spotify running on my mobile phone when in reality I'm not listening to music on that device but on my desktop computer. 

Sorry for my wrong words, with "extra mb" I meant "every mb". It is just a little tip aside (for all kinds of data usage) to switch to wi-fi whenever you can to reduce your costs 🙂

You are right that your phone shouldn't use your data when listening to music on the computer. I'm going to message the Android Experts about what's going on and will give you updates when I have them (since I'm not struggling with that on iOS).

Suggested posts