Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Weak network connection hinders launch

Solved!

Weak network connection hinders launch

I often find myself trying to launch the Android app on the metro with a weak (low side of Edge) internet connection, and get stuck with an empty list view and the hamburger menu with no effect – presumably because the app is unable to contact the server and waiting for a response.

If I turn off mobile data completely and re-launch the application, it loads my offline content instantly (presumably because it does not attempt to contact the server). Launching the app with a proper (4G/Wi-Fi) also works well.

Is there anything I can do to solve this problem, other than turning mobile data off completely to launch the app?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi there. Unfortunetely if the app detects the vaguest of data connection it will try to connect and download your playlists etc. It's only when the radio is turned off that it jumps straight to Offline mode.

If you are rooted you could maybe have something set to disable mobile data when your signal strength drops below a certain level or at a certain geographical location by using Tasker & the Secure Settings plugin. Else, unfortunately there's not a huge amount which can be done.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi there. Unfortunetely if the app detects the vaguest of data connection it will try to connect and download your playlists etc. It's only when the radio is turned off that it jumps straight to Offline mode.

If you are rooted you could maybe have something set to disable mobile data when your signal strength drops below a certain level or at a certain geographical location by using Tasker & the Secure Settings plugin. Else, unfortunately there's not a huge amount which can be done.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

That makes sense. Hopefully this connection will time out after, say, five seconds in some later release 🙂

Suggested posts