Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

White noise in background of all songs.

White noise in background of all songs.

Plan

Premium

Country

Device

Samsung Galaxy s7

Operating System

Android

My Question or Issue

Recently any song I play on spotify has an annoying white noise in the background. I have ruled out any issue in my speakers or auxiliary cord by playing a song both on spotify and YouTube; the white noise was completely gone on YouTube while on spotify the noise can occasionally cover up quieter parts of the song. Please help.

17 Replies

Hey there @Destroyer2000,

Welcome to the Community.

We'd recommend trying a clean reinstall of the app. This seems simple and is often times overlooked. A clean reinstall involves deleting the app cache so it's a bit different that just reinstalling. Check out this guide to see how to do it.

If that doesn't help try changing the streaming quality setting in the app and also tell us if this happens both on Wi-Fi and Mobile data.

Hope this helps. If you have more questions, don't hesitate to give us a shout.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I have already tried the clean reinstall and the problem occurs on both mobile data and wifi. I have tried changing streaming quality and a few other things. I found a temporary solution at the moment but I would like to know a permanent one. The temporary solution is use a cleaner app (ccleaner) every single time before I open spotify to play music. The white noise goes away if I clear my spotify cache using the cleaner app, however nothing happens if I clear my cache in the spotify app.

Hi again @Destroyer2000,

Thanks for the quick reply and the info.

Could you tell us if you're using an SD card on your phone? If that's the case try removing the SD card and reinstalling Spotify, then try running the app without the SD. Let us know if that makes a difference for you, as often times SD card errors can cause issues with the cache, hence the app's performance.

Also if it's possible, could you ask a friend to log in with their account on your phone and see if they experience the same white noise.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply 🙂

AlexModerator

I had a friend try my spotify in their vehicle and we could not hear any white noise. I took my sim card out and reinstalled spotify and it got rid of the noise the for the next time I played a song. I put the sim card back in and tried it again and there was no white noise for now. This may have been a possible solution. I will let you know of definitive results in a few days.

Hey @Destroyer2000,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop 🙂

Glad to hear that it worked out. If the issue occurs again, we'd suggest you also try with another account on your phone. That way we can check if it's a device or an account-related issue.

If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Have a nice day!

Ver Moderator

I have the same problem on my iphone AND on my ipad. I did a clean reinstall on both devices after deleting the app completely and I followed all steps in the suggested procedure. It happens when I listen on my iphone speaker, ipad speaker, Bose music system and Sonos music system so is definitely a problem in the Spotify app.

How to solve?

Hi @Richard1971,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

If you're having the same white noise issue on both devices after a clean reinstall it might be something connected to your account.

Can you create a new test account with another email address and check whether songs can be played normally on that one?

Cheers.

AlexModerator

I have the same issue as well. I am using the Spotify Desktop App (Spotify for Windows
1.1.78.765.g5ea20b00) on a Windows 11 Dektop PC. The white noise is actually not noticable if I
listen to music on about 50% volume, but if I turn the volume down to ~10% I can barely hear the music
but almost only the white noise. I already tried a clean reinstall as described in one of the first answers
of the original post (using the method for Windows 10 as there isn't one for Windows 11) but nothing changed.
Apparently if I turn down the volume in Windows and not in Spotify directly, the white noise is not noticable,
but I could not find a cobination of Windows volume and Spotify volume where the music isn't too loud, 
the white noise not noticable and the system sounds of Windows or from other applications loud wnough, so this isn't an accaptable solution for me...

Hey @plenard79,

Thanks for posting here.

Could you try with another account on your PC to see if anything changes?

It's also a good idea to make sure that the sound drivers are up-to-date with these steps.

Let us know how it goes.

Ver Moderator

I did both steps.

Nothing changed, the white noise is still there on both accounts.

Hi @plenard79,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

Can you let us know if you're listening on a laptop or PC with connected speakers?

Also, can you try connecting different speakers? If so, do they notice the same?

On another note, do you get the same behavior if you're connected to a Bluetooth speaker/headphones?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

• set volume in spotify and on playing device to 100%
  • control volume on speakers only

why? every digital audio output generates some noise,

when device volume is set to 33% and you gain volume

on speakers, you are increasing volume of that noise as well.

... or get better device which generates less noise.

White noise persists even though cache cleaned, reboot, reinstalled app. Sounds like you are moving furniture in background. Worse than white noise.  Adjusted quality from auto to high and low for both Wi-Fi and 5g. 

im getting frustrated.  Give me a fix or I go shopping for another app.  iPhone 12 Pro 

advise me

randy in Austin. 

I have the same problem, white noise, when I connect aux from galaxy a53 to my car. I open spotify and I hear it but  if I close spotify app the sound gone. There's any solution?

Hey,

I am using a Desktop PC. 
My PC does not have bluetooth, so I can not test that,

but on all Speakers and Headphones the white noise stayed.

I tested two different Speakers and one Headphone, all connected over the Line-Out (Aux-Cable) connection.

I hope this information helps!

Best regards,

Paul

Hey there,

Thanks for the replies.

Would it be possible for you to prepare a recording of the white noise while using the app? It'll help us a lot to understand what's going on on your end.

Keep us posted,

Cheers!

DianModerator

This sounds more like they are using a form of dithering to cover up artifacts in quiter parts of the sound because when you listen to the tracks between fade in and outs there is zero noise.  

Suggested posts