Announcements

Why Only Shuffle Play?

Highlighted

Why Only Shuffle Play?

Gig Goer

Why can spotify only be played in the premium version with no shuffle play? Why do you force phones to only play shuffle play? Why cant we pick and choose with ads? Cause I find this kinda dumb for me just wanting to listen to my music on my phone when I get wifi, I cant bring my pc everywhere and plug it into all the outlets where ever I go just to listen to my playlists, even if I do press shuffle play, it doesnt play only my playlist, it plays other stupid songs that shouldnt even have been made in the first place, I think the mobile version of the free plan should be changed, it would also help people who want to listen to music that they want to listen to if they only have a phone

Screenshot_2019-10-10-14-07-31.png
21 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Why Only Shuffle Play?

Composer

Hi there!

Unfortunately, this limitation is due to your Spotify plan. Spotify supports artists through ads and the cost of a premium membership. Certain features are behind a paywall, such as the ability to play music on-demand on mobile, so that there is more of an incentive for users to pay for premium.

So, if you would like on-demand playback on mobile you will need to upgrade to a Premium subscription. To learn more about Premium, and how to subscribe click here.

I hope that I was able to help you out, even if it wasn't the answer you were probably looking for.

Did this work for you? If so please mark it as the solution. This helps other users find the solutions to their problems in the future!
Highlighted

Gig Goer
No, that doesnt answer my question even in the slightest, yes, I get that we get ads, but why not just have all devices have ads and have wifi enabled playlists, why not just blackout the playlist offline? I mean, when you havent done a trial, you get free to play any time when on wifi, why not after as well? That is utterly stupid if I'm being honest, and you honestly cant disagree
Highlighted

Composer

Hi There,

If you are referring to the part that you are listening to random songs that are not in your created playlist, it could be due to the autoplay feature under settings.  You may want to check that out and off it.

Highlighted

Gig Goer

Sigh, I dont get that problem, what I am referring to is shuffle play, look at the pics, shuffle play, not the songs, I'm referring to only being able to use shuffle play on the phones. S-h-u-f-f-l-e p-l-a-y. nothing else, just shuffle play. Not ads, not autoplay, not songs, not anything other than the (pardon my language) damned shuffle play, I want to know why we are only allowed to shuffle our music instead of picking and choosing a song on a device for the free version, not premium, the free version, Free+Phone=Shuffle Play. Please refer to the screenshot if you dont know what I'm talking about, it has the crossovers which indicates shuffle play.

Highlighted

Composer

Because, quite simply, Spotify has to make money. If they gave away one of their main premium selling-points for free, it wouldn't be the best business model. So, once again, it falls to if you would like to have on-demand listening on your phone, you need to subscribe to Premium.

Highlighted

Casual Listener

I used to be able to use Spotify as intended (with a free account) but with just having to listen to ads every now and again. This was on iPad. On my (Android) phone it’s always been totally unusable in free mode - utterly pointless.

Now, Spotify appears to have changed to the Android phone setup on iPad too, and yes, only ‘shuffle play’ is available. If I now go to an artist page there’s no longer a discography before, just the big green ‘shuffle play’ button. So now in free mode, it’s less than even just useless on iPad as well. 

Highlighted

Casual Listener

Scrub that - it’s all back as it was!

Must’ve been a glitch; maybe it was for you too hopefully.

Highlighted

Composer

hi! @f6u1-qv_j6pmg 

Yes you are right. for free users, shuffle play is the only option on your created playlists. However, certain public playlists are non shuffled. 

Premium will allow you to customise and play what you want! 

Hope this helps.

Highlighted

Gig Goer

Yes, but ads give them lots of money, and if you have NEVER USED PREMIUM before then you would be able to use on demand with ads, but once you use a FREE TRIAL or BUY PREMIUM and then you switch to the free mode, you are forced to use shuffle play only, this seems like a "oh, we see you have money, time to become a greedy **bleep** and force you to pay us more cash". I dont see the point in forcing users to use shuffle play on mobile when some people cant even afford a $800 laptop to listen to music on, it seems kinda messed up, that's why most people download their music from youtube, it's because they cant afford premium 24/7, if spotify had on-demand WITH ADs which I know for a FACT that ADS PROVIDE MONEY and please dont use the "they need to make money" reference to brush this off because every user whether they are premium or free, is giving them money via ads or via premium, I can understand being forced to listen to a whole song without skipping, I can understand not being able to go back, but on demand leaving users after any sort of trial or payment is kinda (pardon my language) **bleep**ed up to be honest, so please explain this if you so kindly will

SUGGESTED POSTS