Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why am I unable to listen to some albums when I'm in India?

Solved!

Why am I unable to listen to some albums when I'm in India?

Plan

Free/Premium: On a 30 day trial

Device: OnePlus 6

Operating System: Android Pie

My Question or Issue: When i was a free user, there was no album that I failed to find/play. But however, once I started 30 day trial, I couldn't find/play some albums. For example, Nine Track Mind (Charlie Puth). Is it because I paid in INR by selecting India as an option? I'd sppreciate if any help  is provided. Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi, option 1 and 2 are possible but not option 3. What I would personally recommend is going with option 1 for a couple more months until Spotify fixes the deals with Warner and then change back your country to India and buy a premium membership.

Hope this helps. 🙂

Also if you like the answer, please give it a like and select it as a solution. That really helps. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Hi, if I'm guessing right before joining the premium membership, your country was set to something other than India. Correct? If this is the case, then the problem you are facing is quite normal. Let me explain why.

You see when an artist record any album with any music studio, all the rights for that song and album lies with that studio. Now, these studios provide the country based license to streaming companies for a lease (e.g. 10 years or so). This is how the music streaming industry operates.

Now when Spotify was trying to launch in India, one of the major setback they faced was Warner/Chappell, one of the biggest music studio in the world under which almost all the major artist albums are recorded said they won't provide license to Spotify for Indian region, though initially, they said they will sign the deal.

Spotify tried hard to have a deal with them but they denied over and over. Even they failed a case in Bombay High Court against Spotify so that they can't launch in India.

One of the major reason they did this is that Spotify signs direct deals with smaller artists so that they can get recognition without the hassle of big music studios giving them a chance. Warner didn't like this as this makes Spotify a competitor or Warner as they are becoming more than just a streaming service.

Spotify is still trying to sign a deal with them but there is no ETA about when this can be done. That is why many popular artist and songs are not available in Spotify India.

If you are even more interested to know more about this, check out this verge article: https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/1/18243053/spotify-warner-india-global-food-fight-music-streaming

Let's just hope that both of them come to an agreement soon and this issue gets resolved.

Hope this answer helps you to get the answer you are looking for. 🙂

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your detailed explanation. 

So, as per my understanding, I have the following options in order to listen to the music which is non-licenced to India. Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

1. I could cancel Spotify subscription, change the country to US in my profile and continue using as a free user. 

(Or)

2. Resubscribe by paying in US$ by selecting US as country.

(Or)

3. Or just continue the current subscription and ask the Spotify Support to change the country to US so that I could listen to all music.

I'm considering that I have these options. Please let me know which one of these three options is the best solution. For what it's worth, I really do not want to miss out on the music which I am unable to listen to now. I'd appreciate if you could help me a further more on this. Good day!

Marked as solution

Hi, option 1 and 2 are possible but not option 3. What I would personally recommend is going with option 1 for a couple more months until Spotify fixes the deals with Warner and then change back your country to India and buy a premium membership.

Hope this helps. 🙂

Also if you like the answer, please give it a like and select it as a solution. That really helps. 

Thanks. Then I'll go with the first option. I also marked it as a solution. Good day! 

Hey , 

Did it work ??

Well, I did cancel my subscription. But, in order to change the country, it seems that I have to wait until I am done with what's left of the 30 day subscription. Hope this helps, bro. 

Suggested posts