Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why does Spotify now force me to name new playlists?

Why does Spotify now force me to name new playlists?

I DO NOT LIKE the new Android App "feature" that forces me to name a newly created playlist. The old default naming worked just fine for most things and offered no impediments to custom naming if desired. How could the new default of naming the playlist "#XXX" be of any use to anybody? Spotify's superior user interface has always been what sets it apart from other streaming services. Don't blow it!

38 Replies

Where are you seeing this? Is it when you choose to add a song to a new playlist or when you choose the new playlist icon in playlist view? Could you talk me through the steps you take and post a scrren capture?

When adding a new album as a new playlist for example (not adding to an existing playlist), the app used to provide the suggested name as the artist and album name. That was very convenient. Now we have to add the name from scratch, which is a much worse solution. Could the previous way please be added? 

It works fine for me using spotify version 8.4.29.289 with albums and songs. Try reinstalling spotify following these steps. If that doesn't make any difference, post details of your device, android version and spotify version.

I have the same problem. It's super annoying. Spotify please fix this!

The problem is on the latest version of the Spotify Android app (possibly iPhone too, but I can't test that). It works the old way on the desktop app.

I agree, this is very annoying. I often add albums as playlists on my phone. Unless this changes back, I'll have to type out the artist and album names manually (the problem came up when I was trying to save "Mulatu Astatke – Ethiopiques, Vol. 4: Ethio Jazz 1969-1974" - I don't really fancy writing all that out on my phone!) or re-add the playlist on my PC later, which is an unfortunate extra step.

This problem has resurfaced in January 2018, as part of release 8.4.38.621. Back when this thread was started the very next release reinstated the old "add to new playlist" routine so the problem was resolved without any input from me. 

I just tried Joe's suggestion from last year and deleted and reinstalled Spotify. Still version 8.4.38.621 and the problem persists.

AND

I found on my tablet that the create new playlist screen does not rotate - only works in "portrait" orientation. My tablet sits in a stand holding it in "landscape" orientation (I use it as a dedicated Spotify controller) and it is difficult to move it just to create a new playlist. Everything else works in landscape. This new "create new playlist" screen is totally unacceptable.

Spotify, please return to the old new playlist method.

I am attaching a screen grab of the current screen. I could not find an image of the previous screen.

Screenshot 2018-02-01 at 8.10.06 AM.png

Yeh same prprobl get it back to the normal way you interfering do goodeerstwhile it ainta broke don't fix it 

ImI using a sonyzx1 compact and this problem did occur last year and was fixed can  you get the problem sorted I'm not a secretary i just wanna play music 

Latest update 8.4.39.673 on android still not fixed. Spotify sort it out! 

Spotify please give us the default naming back. It's just a pain to name each playlist by msyself...

Agreed, the old way of defaulting to the album name was far more logical than the new system of a faceless # number for the playlist.  +1 for the old way!  

Same issue here. Using Android so not sure about Apple app. No longer auto filling in the artist and album name when creating a new playlist from an album. Paying premium customer, please fix!

I thought this was another A/B test but I get this too now, On the face of it, another example of Spotify's indifference to the users' experience. Of course, there might be a valid reason for this change (new improved features coming soon) but since they never share reasons for changes or plans for the future, we're left frustrated.

I agree. This is pretty annoying. Having the pop up dialog autofill playlist name is the natural UX choice.

Are you kidding me? There was on issue on the forum in 2014 with someone pointing out the same issue with the prefilled playlist name. They resolved after several complaints. Why, Spotify, would you take away this feature again? Please restore the prefilled playlist name when adding an album or some to a new playlist.

Well I have complained along with others but its not been put right yet let's see, it is really annoying having to type out the band then the album or single title not very professional is it?

Keep complaining on Twitter as well. Although they don't get it there. Use all channels to complain about it. Hopefully the development team finds out at some point.

But I've removed the one from the playstore and just installed an older version that still works.

There is no spoon... just spotify!

The recent rapid update schedule for spotify (dozens for version 8.x alone) usually cause more bad than good for me.  New features are sometimes nice, but the core functions keep getting flakey and inconsistent.  Playlist naming isn't the only thing that's changed for the worse, I'm finding recent versions quite buggy.  It didn't used to be like this - in the past, Spotify updates were a little less frequent, and probably more circumspect.  Still, one can install older versions without much fuss (google 'spotify old versions').  

Probably some boss with influence that has decided this, over the head of all competent people at spotify. But could you perhaps have this as an option in the settings menu. Letting this guy and a few others decide if they want to name their playlists themselves. 

Suggested posts