Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why is Spotify jumping back to an earlier song on the playlist?

Why is Spotify jumping back to an earlier song on the playlist?

Using the Android app, connected through Bluetooth to my Toyota, car mode off, playing a playlist in order, when it finished song 66, instead of playing song 67, it went back to the start of song 62, and paused. Using the car's controls, I pressed Next Track five times, and again, instead of playing song 67, it went back to the start of song 62. There's nothing wrong with song 67; I was able to play song 67 by clicking on it in the app.

Previously something very similar happened elsewhere in the same playlist.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app to see if that would fix it. It didn't. This time, at the end of song 87 it jumped back to song 82, and then immediately jumped to another song (somewhere between 21 and 39).
12 Replies

Hi there @davidrwasserman,

Thanks for the post.

This sounds like your account might be logged in on a device that another user has access to. I'd recommend you Log out Everywhere and reset the password on your account, just to be sure you're the only one using it. 

You might need to log out manually on devices like PlayStation. 

If this keeps happening after securing your account, do let us know if these songs are jumping only on that one playlist or does it happen at random no matter what you play, and only when you're connected to the car.

Cheers.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

This problem recurred after securing my account. It occurred on more than one playlist. It has only happened when connected to the car,

Hey @davidrwasserman,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Is it possible to test this with a different Bluetooth device? Also, it would be very helpful if you can try connecting a different phone with your account logged in on it or a different account logged in on your phone, so we can narrow down the possible cause.

Let us know how it goes.

MihailYModerator

This might help narrow it down: While using the Android app on my phone, connected through Bluetooth to my Toyota, the app gave my a popup that looked like a warning about someone playing my account on another device. However, it gave the name of the "other" device, and it was the name of the phone I was using. The popup had buttons "Join session" and "Take over device". I chose "Take over device", and the problem stopped happening. After a few days, the problem came back, and I got the same popup again today.

Hey there @davidrwasserman

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Just to confirm, is this happening with other devices (such as speakers) while you're connected via Bluetooth?

On another note, would you mind checking if the same happens using a different phone in your car (with you own account)? We're trying to figure out if this is related to how the car's Bluetooth interacts with the app.

Let us know how it goes.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

The only other Bluetooth device I've used with Spotify is my headphones. I haven't encountered this problem that way.

I don't have another phone.

Hey @davidrwasserman

Thanks for your reply. 

Could you let us know if the same happens when you use a cable to connect your phone to the car or it only happens with Bluetooth? 

On another note, could you try resetting or trying to change the Bluetooth version on your phone?

We'll be on the lookout. 

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

When I connect the phone with a cable, the car doesn't recognize it as an audio input device, so I can't play at all.

Have the developers been notified about this problem yet? This is clearly a Spotify bug. My car might be doing something incorrectly, but there's nothing it could possibly do that should cause this behavior.

I discovered it isn't just the car. It happened once when I was using wireless headphones, connected to my phone with Bluetooth. As usual, at the end of a song, it jumped back 5 songs and paused.

Hi @davidrwasserman,

Thanks for the info. Could you please make a screen recording/video of the exact behaviour and send it to us? If the file is too big to upload here, you can send it via Google Drive or as an unlisted YouTube video. This would help us a lot in the investigation.

Keep us posted.

JoanModerator

Hi Joan,

Sorry, my phone doesn't have screen recording.

Hi there @davidrwasserman,

Thanks for the post.

In order to keep looking into this, we'd need to see exactly what is happening on your device, as we're unable to reproduce this on our end. 

Most modern phones have a screen recording option build into them. This can be accessed from swiping down the notifications bar and finding the screen record icon. It should look something like this.

Let us know if that's possible on your end.

Cheers.

AlexModerator

Suggested posts