Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why is premium needed even if the device has no mobile internet?

Solved!

Why is premium needed even if the device has no mobile internet?

Hello community!

heres my point.

my nexus 7 doesnt have mobile internet, just wlan, and i dont even want offline playlists.

I just want to use it at home and i dont see the point why premium is necessary, because i use unlimited and dont need the premium stuff.

my idea would be to differentiate between mobile devices that have 3g or something like that and devices that dont. 

for me my tablet is more like a laptop, which doesnt need premium too so why make people pay 10$ a month when they dont even need most of the stuff that comes with it?

some may say it would be unfair to all others who have 3g and need to pay 10$, but if they want to use it at home only they could go unlimited too.. would just be fair wouldnt it?

again, my nexus has no internet connection when im not home or near any wlan spot. now wlan is again like im using a laptop, which runs perfectly with unlimited, even for free for 10h.

i hope you get the point and i am thankful for answers, 

greetings!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

The Nexus 7 is a tablet, thus it is considered a "mobile" device.  Your laptop is not.  The line between laptops and tablets is blurring as people are increasingly able to use their tablets as laptops, but for now tablets are still considered separate from laptops.  It doesn't matter that you don't have a 3g connection.

Spotify has to agree to certain conditions to be able to form agreements with the record labels.  One of the conditions was apparently that tablets are considered mobile devices.  Makes sense to me as they're often regarded as just big phones.

fwiw other streaming music services often have the same restrictions. It's not just Spotify.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Marked as solution

The Nexus 7 is a tablet, thus it is considered a "mobile" device.  Your laptop is not.  The line between laptops and tablets is blurring as people are increasingly able to use their tablets as laptops, but for now tablets are still considered separate from laptops.  It doesn't matter that you don't have a 3g connection.

Spotify has to agree to certain conditions to be able to form agreements with the record labels.  One of the conditions was apparently that tablets are considered mobile devices.  Makes sense to me as they're often regarded as just big phones.

fwiw other streaming music services often have the same restrictions. It's not just Spotify.

ok i didn't think about record labels, that makes sense 😛

i thank you for you answer!

Suggested posts