Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why is the max volume so quiet?

Solved!

Why is the max volume so quiet?

The volume is way too low on android, spotify simply won't output a higher volume. Unless you can help me with this problem, I'm seriously considering switching to Deezer.

149 Replies

Using galaxy s8, just signed up for a premium account and the volume is a lot lower than other music apps.
Does Spotify have an estimated time frame of when they are looking to resolve this? Great music selection but pointless if the sound is so soft. Reading other posts looks like this issue has been around since 2015, and the Spotify rep responses look very generic and unhelpful.

Don't expect a solution anytime soon, i have this problem since 2015 and still have it, even changing phone, chaging the EQ, i tried everything. Still, Deezer, Google music etc the sound is much higher and better quality (free version).

Spotify just don't care. It's sad, I had to switch to google music but i would have stayed if this problem was solved. 

i have this problem too for my iPhone 6S. i'm on the 7 day trial now and i was going to buy spotify premium, but the sound is so low i don't think it's worth it. it's too bad because i don't know any other music apps with this many songs, in different languages too. please fix this.

Been with you guys for years but with the low volume and not fixing the problem, I have lost faith. Look out Tidal here I come. With the exclusives and HiFi music, you guys don't want to start losing your customers. I'll give you a couple months then I'm chucking the dueces. Tidal has a free trial going on so I'll see how they are.

"I also need to let you know that, in the cases mentioned the volume is managed by the device and not Spotify. I have however been informed that this is being looked into. 

In the meantime can I suggest rocking the latest version of Spotify and your device's firmware to make sure everything is up to date."

This statement is complete **bleep**. Ive been having this issue for a few weeks now. I went ahead and downloaded a really old version of spotify (6.05), and I have absolutely no issues with volume fluctuation anymore. 

This is a problem with the app, not our devices. I will be looking around for alternatives to spotify. The lack of customer support is very bad for something that costs $10+ dollars a month.....

It's interesting that an old app version is louder @Thatsbk. Hopefully @Robert_W will pick this up and pass it on to the android team.

I have the exact same issue, and it occurs both in Windows and Android 7.0. I do believe that it was actually louder several months ago but I can't be sure. 

It's extrmely frustrating when I go to watch a YouTube video on my computer, for example, and get blasted by high volume because I had to turn it up in order to listen to Spotify at an acceptable level. Using iTunes to play the exact same songs results in a significantly higher volume level, so this is definitely an issue with Spotify. And yes, I did check the volume slider in the program, and tried it on multiple different systems.

In addition, having to turn up the volume in my car to have the same level means the GPS prompts from Waze are also extremely loud, unlike listening to locally-stored songs, which startles and distracts me.

Because of these side effects of the low volume, just turning the volume up louder isn't a solution. Remember that turning up the volume on your system reduces the quality of the music you're paying for because you're now introducing additional noise from amplifying an unnecessarily low source signal.

Marked as solution

Hey folks,

Thanks for all the useful info you've sent over. We really appreciate the patience and are working hard to get this sorted. Before we send the issue over to our tech team, there's just a few bits we need to add to the report. Sorry, it might seem a bit robotic, but I'll list everyone below alongside the information we still need. As soon as we hear back we'll pass it on 🙂 

@fred_-_ Could you let us know the following: 

• When you first noticed the issue
  • If the issue followed an update to your Spotify version
  • If the issue occurs when using speakers, headphones and a bluetooth connection
  • If you've reinstalled the app and restarted your device
  • If you've tried a different device; e.g. logged into some else's phone
  • If you've tried someone else's account on your device

@michmike Could you let us know if you've tried a different device; e.g. logged into some else's phone. If you could also tell if you're able to try someone else's account on your device, that'd be great. 

@zlatan22@Joey389@jdperdomoq@Elsmoocho@IpodsCrash@Joelc86@TupacFR@foelja@ebro365@Thatsbk, @jsmz83, Could you let us know the following:

• When you first noticed the issue
  • If the issue followed an update to your Spotify version
  • If the issue occurs when using speakers, headphones and a bluetooth connection
  • If you've reinstalled the app and restarted your device
  • If you've tried a different device; e.g. logged into some else's phone
  • If you've tried someone else's account on your device
  • If you have already included it, we'll also need your device, operating system, and Spotify version 🙂 

@Sherdog123 Could you let us know if you've tried a different device; e.g. logged into some else's phone. If you could also tell if you're able to try someone else's account on your device, that'd be great. Just to check, does Spotify play at a drastically lower volume than your other apps when using your device's in-built speakers? 

@Palegod Could you let us know if you're able to update you device's operating system? If you could also, fill us in on the above, that'd be perfect.

Thanks again for your time! Fingers crossed we'll get to the bottom of this as soon as possible.

All the best,

/L 

S7 always been tii quiet with spotify. If everyhas tge problem surely tech support can test a phone and replicate it.

Galaxy S4 & Tab S. Both have had this problem for months. When first start playing music, volume is normal for 1 - 2 seconds, then it drops right off.  Doesn't matter if using internal speakers, headphones or Bluetooth speakers

@Leo wrote:

@Palegod Could you let us know if you're able to update you device's operating system? If you could also, fill us in on the above, that'd be perfect. 

Not possible, VZW seem to forget a phone exists the moment they stop selling it as far as firmware/OS upgrades go and I'm not interested in rooting and upgrading it myself at this time.

ASUS Zenfone 3 Max
Android Version 7.1.1. (nougat)
Spotify version 8.4.11.1283

Problem:
Even at max volume on both speaker and cellphone, and all doors and windows are closed... still I need to be near.

This issue been here for a while, and most likely looks a bit deeper root cause. I am personally using a family premium membership since since a year now or a bit more, and coming from Apple Music is was one of the first thing I noticed. There were frustrated comments in this topic even that time, but since due to some other reasons (for instance Spotify connect is still unique) this was the best offer for a group of my family, I stayed here. I also trusted that Spotify crew does work on this hard, but now it looks they are not, or the issue is something that would need some fundamental change (music coding or something like that) that would cost lot more than hearing some people crying. That is most probably a reasonable business decision, since most of the users are accepting this compromise. For me I kept my subscription for my family only and I personally moved to tidal... that is WAY louder. 

...one more thing I forgot. This is actually an existing issue on android 5-6-7(phones and tv boxes we use), iOS8-9-10, wired and Bluetooth connection as well. Even my chromecast suffers via hdmi... least noticeable is on windows 10, however I am using USB DAC there

Same here. Experiencing quiet max volume since I started using Spotify. For about a year - year and a half so far. I own LG G4.

I also use several different music apps and volume is alright in those apps. So there is definitely something wrong with Spotify software. Please finally fix it guys or I will stop paying my premium.

Same issue on a Galaxy S6. Completely agree with what was said before: searching for the issue brings up 2014 posts which is just not acceptable, and the statement provided by you doesn't cut it (I know you're just doing your job and it's not your fault). Other apps have louder highest volume, how can that be device-dependant issue? How can Soundcloud have much louder highest volume on the same phone? I cannot understand how they can do it and you can't when we're talking about the exact same conditions (same device, OS, headphones, etc).

It's becoming increasingly frustrating to be paying for this but having to workout to Soundcloud ads because the music gets easily killed by background music. If you could please provide a clear timeline for a fix, I think people would appreciate it. Else I'm switching back to Google Play Music as well.

Same low volume issues here. Samsung Note 4 with all latest firmware/software. The lack of any actual work to fix this in the last 2 years means that this will be my last month as a premium customer. So many different devices and OS's - same issue. One common denominator.  Shame.

Just noting I'm having the same problems. Didn't notice it until a few days ago. Volume makes a significant drop 1-2 seconds into each song, and then plays very soft.

I'm using an LG V20

This happens with my Bluetooth speaker, in my car, and with my wired headphones. Does not happen with other music apps. Worked fine with an iPhone. Tried reinstalling app. Turned off "Normalized volume." 

Hoping there's a solution to this soon or I'm just going to have to switch services. It's that bad of a problem.

I too am having extremely quiet music. I can hardly hear the music while walking to my bus stop in a suburban neighborhood with no traffic at 6:30 in the morning. See, I was thinking I was getting hearing damage or something since the music just got quieter all of a sudden. I even got my ears checked. Turns out the music is just being artificially lowered. I love spotify however I will quickly be making a move to a different music app if it is not fixed soon.

Two things I did that made a big difference: go to your settings and turn off Normalize Volume and the Equalizer.  

I'd still say it didn't completely change the low volume output, but it did help.

Suggested posts