Why is the max volume so quiet?

Solved!

Re: Why is the max volume so quiet?

jsmz83
Casual Listener

Nice to see that this issue has received some attention again. This has been going on for months (years in some cases) now but Spotify doesn't want to acknowlege that it's an issue. Somehow they are convinced it's an issue with the device rather than the App, but it really makes you question if they actually use their own app because it's painfully obvious that the volume is too low, especially if you've got a GPS app running at the same time or just play a song from another app.

I noticed that the Windows version has been fixed sometime recently as the volume now matches iTunes again, so good on them for fixing that at least. Now please fix the Android app!

Chris7738

Add me to the list. Samsung s8....frustrating as ought!!

Pter1980
Casual Listener

Is Spotify going to fix this issue or am I going to switch to amazon/Google music?????? And tell my friends and family to do the same. This is ridiculous. Been going on for years, I thought you guys would fix it one of these days....

Pter1980
Casual Listener

Google pixel owner

Jrdca

Its a 1/3 or more too quiet, i have vol maxed out and it feels like half volume no headroom, gonna try another service i have fam plan so 15 buck goodbuy spotty fy, too bad cuz when i first got it i was amazed at the sound quality, sounded better than anything i ever heard, samsung S8

FunkenWater
Casual Listener

Im on the latest version of Spotify and its super loud already. I can't even go max without hurting my ears. yeah the other outlets are louder, but the quality here is better. stop damaging your ears!

BlowMJ

Windows app is super quiet, if you try to turn the volume knob down to the middle of the slider (50% volume) it sounds like it's at 15%, and 100% sounds like Pandora's 50%.

WTH is going on here, this has been an issue since forever.

Highlighted

ebro365
Casual Listener
I do what I want. Your sensitive ears prob listen to classical music. For
the rest of us normal people, it's not loud enough. Stop accepting
mediocrity.

jsmz83
Casual Listener

@FunkenWater wrote:

Im on the latest version of Spotify and its super loud already. I can't even go max without hurting my ears. yeah the other outlets are louder, but the quality here is better. stop damaging your ears!

This isn't about wanting the music louder, and it sounds like your device isn't affected if you consider the output to be super-loud. The problem is the significant volume differential between the Spotify app and all other apps (non-music included) on your phone. In the car I am forced to increase the volume of the head unit to account for the attenuation even if I want to listen to the music quietly. What is hurting my ears is when the GPS app starts yelling into my ears because I had to increase the volume to listen to Spotify at a comfortable level!

On my particular car, I have about 45 volume clicks, and I normally listen between 16-20 using the built-in music player. Using Spotify, I have to increase the volume to between 25-30 to achieve the same output. So now I'm listening to Spotify at my acceptable level of 16, but when I'm using the GPS at the same time I'm getting instructions at a volume of 30, which, aside from being super loud, is actually a safety issue because it could startle the driver.

I've mentioned this a while back in this thread and I'll just go over it again. If Spotify is doing this on purpose, please don't think it has anything to do with increasing the quality of your music because it does not. It actually reduces it because now the source signal has been attenuated. This requires that you increase the volume on the client device to make up for the difference, which requires applying gain. Gain = noise, therefore the quality has actually been reduced. I can't tell the difference in quality between Apple Music and Spotify, if there is any, but I do notice the volume difference that's for sure.

ukris

Same problem here. I cannot even hear my music anymore in public!

SUGGESTED POSTS