Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why is the max volume so quiet?

Solved!

Why is the max volume so quiet?

The volume is way too low on android, spotify simply won't output a higher volume. Unless you can help me with this problem, I'm seriously considering switching to Deezer.

149 Replies

I replied in another thread but this one appears to have more activity.  I have the same issue with my S6.  It started about two weeks ago and I've noticed it when using the speaker on my phone, truck bluetooth, or headphones.  I have to increase the volume about 1/3 higher than for any other output just to maintain a "normal" low level volume and there is no option to listen to the music louder. I zero'd out all the EQ seetings and  I unstalled and reinstalled the app but still have the same issue.  I use spotify on my computer (mac) and have not noticed any issues at all through that output so it is not my account or spotify in general.

Please get this fixed becuase it basically makes the android app unusable unless in a really quiet enviroment.

I just noticed this was also the case for me... Now I'm listening to youtube again 😕 Hopefully they can patch it up, or figure out the bug soon! 

This has been happening to me since I got my galaxy s6 after switching from an iPhone. I have to max my volume on both my phone and the car to have something barely audible.

My phone is completely updated and so is spotify

Spotify has lower volume than any other audio program on my android tablet, my iphone and even on my PC. What the **bleep** guys? Do you really have to lose another customer before you fix this? From what I can tell its been a complaint for an incredibly long time now. You don't seem to listen to your customers or maybe you simply dont care... I guess Im going to google play music or deezer... what a shame

If you could just create a little tweak in the next update I'd stay. Just jimmy rig it. Add a volume boost option in the equilizer menu, that'd do it. If it isn't any better by my next billing period Im outie 5000. I b supa dupa cerial bra 

I have the same issues.

On my Samsung Galaxy S7 the volume is too low, about 30% less than on Google Play Music.

And on my Windows 10 PC is the same problem... I need to go 100% volume to get my desired volume. With Google Music is 70% enough.

Please raise up the volume, I'm considering to cut off and switch to GPM.

Im having the exact same problem. I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. Spotify is by far the best music streaming site on Android. My ONLY issue is the max volume is REALLY quiet in comparison with any other music streaming site or even YouTube. I really want to continue using Spotify but this issue needs to be fixed. I've seen SO MANY forums on this since 2014 and it still remains unfixed. 

Oppo a57 user here... 

I thought it was my headphones maybe

Ran apple music-volume hurts my head

Stock music app-fine too

Spotify-good bit rate and quality, but like 30 percent quieter.  Can run a eq boost but **bleep** that, RIP my ears if another app runs. 

i have same issue

Windows 10

Spotify version 1.0.66.478

Asus Laptop Speaker

spotify max volume is so low, any other apps have louder max volume , its sad to see spotify does not care about this problem, Puting windows volume and spotify volume to 100% is like putting windws media player to 40% and windows volume to 100%.

Im not going to continue paying for premium when you simply don't care about this big issue

I have the same issue on my Google Pixel XL and Google Pixel 2 XL.

Android 8.0.0 for both

Spotify version 8.4.24.871 for both

The max volume is very low compared to any other app. This includes over the 3.5mm jack, the phone speakers, Bluetooth, and USB audio.

This is extremely frustrating. I have to rely on itunes to listen to music at a decent volume. Please fix, i dont want to leave, but low volume is a huge no no.

Nice to see that this issue has received some attention again. This has been going on for months (years in some cases) now but Spotify doesn't want to acknowlege that it's an issue. Somehow they are convinced it's an issue with the device rather than the App, but it really makes you question if they actually use their own app because it's painfully obvious that the volume is too low, especially if you've got a GPS app running at the same time or just play a song from another app.

I noticed that the Windows version has been fixed sometime recently as the volume now matches iTunes again, so good on them for fixing that at least. Now please fix the Android app!

Add me to the list. Samsung s8....frustrating as ought!!

Is Spotify going to fix this issue or am I going to switch to amazon/Google music?????? And tell my friends and family to do the same. This is ridiculous. Been going on for years, I thought you guys would fix it one of these days....

Google pixel owner

Its a 1/3 or more too quiet, i have vol maxed out and it feels like half volume no headroom, gonna try another service i have fam plan so 15 buck goodbuy spotty fy, too bad cuz when i first got it i was amazed at the sound quality, sounded better than anything i ever heard, samsung S8

Im on the latest version of Spotify and its super loud already. I can't even go max without hurting my ears. yeah the other outlets are louder, but the quality here is better. stop damaging your ears!

Windows app is super quiet, if you try to turn the volume knob down to the middle of the slider (50% volume) it sounds like it's at 15%, and 100% sounds like Pandora's 50%.

WTH is going on here, this has been an issue since forever.

I do what I want. Your sensitive ears prob listen to classical music. For
the rest of us normal people, it's not loud enough. Stop accepting
mediocrity.

@FunkenWater wrote:

Im on the latest version of Spotify and its super loud already. I can't even go max without hurting my ears. yeah the other outlets are louder, but the quality here is better. stop damaging your ears!

This isn't about wanting the music louder, and it sounds like your device isn't affected if you consider the output to be super-loud. The problem is the significant volume differential between the Spotify app and all other apps (non-music included) on your phone. In the car I am forced to increase the volume of the head unit to account for the attenuation even if I want to listen to the music quietly. What is hurting my ears is when the GPS app starts yelling into my ears because I had to increase the volume to listen to Spotify at a comfortable level!

On my particular car, I have about 45 volume clicks, and I normally listen between 16-20 using the built-in music player. Using Spotify, I have to increase the volume to between 25-30 to achieve the same output. So now I'm listening to Spotify at my acceptable level of 16, but when I'm using the GPS at the same time I'm getting instructions at a volume of 30, which, aside from being super loud, is actually a safety issue because it could startle the driver.

I've mentioned this a while back in this thread and I'll just go over it again. If Spotify is doing this on purpose, please don't think it has anything to do with increasing the quality of your music because it does not. It actually reduces it because now the source signal has been attenuated. This requires that you increase the volume on the client device to make up for the difference, which requires applying gain. Gain = noise, therefore the quality has actually been reduced. I can't tell the difference in quality between Apple Music and Spotify, if there is any, but I do notice the volume difference that's for sure.

Same problem here. I cannot even hear my music anymore in public!

Suggested posts