Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why is the max volume so quiet?

Solved!

Why is the max volume so quiet?

The volume is way too low on android, spotify simply won't output a higher volume. Unless you can help me with this problem, I'm seriously considering switching to Deezer.

149 Replies

Exactly. Almost a year now and no solution. My solution was to say f***ity
bye to Spotify and use Amazon Music. It's great. Amazing sound quality

[EDIT] I'M DUMB! Guys, just disable NORMALIZE VOLUME. 

Hi all. South Africa just got it's official Spotify launch last week. Short backstory. I've always been using Deezer. I mostly used it via Bluetooth in my car. Over the last 3 years, I've installed numerous custom ROM's on my Android phones and Deezer's sound quality and VOLUME has always been consistent.

Fast forward to last week and I started with my Spotify trail. Over the last week, I couldn't figure out why I had to crank my car volume all the way to max to get any decent sound. By coincidence, I also got a new phone the week before. So I assumed it was probably just the new phone. Finally got to it today to reinstall Deezer and test the difference with proper studio headphones. I've always used the Best Audio Quality options on both Deezer and Spotify (Spotify's option is Extreme Quality, I think). The first song I played. BOOM! Huge difference in sound volume. Spotify on Android definitely has a very big decrease in volume. (Just checked my browser, works 100%). Very disappointed to see this topic has been raised almost a year ago and it has still not been resolved. Will be cancelling my trail and be following this topic until resolved. 

Guys. I have the only working solution. Since Spotify are ignoring the issue or are unable to fix it (this has been going on for years apparently!) the only solution is as follows:

1. Choose a new music streaming app (I went for Amazon Music with a discount as a Prime member)

2. Install it and sign up

3. Unsubscribe from Spotify premium (if applicable) and uninstall Spotify

4. Enjoy your music on the new app.

I know it's hard to leave Spotify because we all think the sun shines out of their behinds, but I've never looked back. I like my music loud (rock/indie/some metal/some rap) so it has to hit me like a smack in the face when I turn the volume up. Amazon Music has been perfect. I'm sure the other alternatives (Deezer? Google Play Music?) are good too.

Say bye to Spotify! 

After trying everything: wiped all files and data related to Spotify (uninstalling as well obviously), rebooting my phone, getting a new phone (Pixel 2 XL), trying various headphones and earphones I own and the ones at my job, trying 20+ third party apps, etc NOTHING WORKED.

But somehow after finding out there's a tiny new section added in the settings under "Normalize volume" and setting that to [Loud], then disabling the option and making sure the quality is set to [Extreme], somehow the volume went back up. I need to fully check it again to see if it's changed but my current test is being on the street with over-the-ear headphones where tons of cars are driving by. If I can hear my music loud, then it's working fine. I unfortunately can't 100% say why it's fixed but those changes above were done the morning of the same day I started to use Spotify and I think it might help to try it out. But definitely wipe the Spotify data off in the settings, delete the app and its files and start fresh again. Also make sure to have the setting [Extreme] on both streamed and downloaded music before downloading or listening to any music once you've reinstalled the app.

Disable NORMALIZE VOLUME. Solved the issue. 

Changing the volume level to loud in the settings did improve the volume but i will also try turning off normalize volume and see if it makes it even better. Tbh the spotify volume level is good on my Bose QC35 wireless headphones so i think this a car issue.

Hi.I am changing loud/normal/quiet in settings with normalise volume toggled on but there is no difference when I switch between the 3...what's wrong with it? I uninstalled/reinstalled it. This jiggery-pokery is a joke ! Back to analogue...back to tapes we will have to go. They want me to rate them. If Spotify sort this volume issue I will give them full stars but until then...jiggery pokery. 

DISABLE Normalize Volume. Don't change the settings of normalize volume. DISABLE it. 

Yes ive also noticed that its easier to just disable normalize but after disabling make sure you completely close spotify and relaunch it to see the difference

It has been almost 11 months since I started this thread. Two moderators, @DefaOne and @Leo were helping us out in the beginning.

There are over 100 replies to this thread in total, and they are coming in every week. The most recent is 4 days ago. Aside from a select few, all replies state that they have the same problem.

However, there has not been a single reply from a moderator, technician, or admin in over 8 months... I would qualify that as "Spotify not giving a **bleep**", but please do correct me if I'm wrong.

To respond to the questions you asked Leo, I have already answered every single one of them, multiple times, in emails exchanged with customer service.

When I say "emails exchanged", what I really mean is this:

I told them what the problem is, they sent me an automated reply asking the same questions you asked me, I answered them, and never heard from them again.

So, I sent them the same email again, telling them that I had already explained my problem but didn't hear back, and guess what. They came back with the EXACT same automated reply as before! So I tried a third time, specifying that it was my third attempt at reaching out to them. Yeah, you guessed it. A copy-paste of the previous automated responses!

I gave them the details to the questions they asked for a third time, and never heard from them again, ever.

Obviously I was very annoyed at being asked these questions for a fourth time, which is why I didn't answer you Leo. I'm not blaming you though, don't get me wrong, I'm blaming Spotify's infrastructure. There is obviously zero communication within the company, or you would have been able to easily retrieve the data that you asked me for. You know, as I had already supplied Spotify with it THREE TIMES.

It's a simple fix, Spotify just has to get a few IT technicians to fiddle around with the app's audio source gain, and release an update. I don't know any IT, but a friend of mine is an IT tech and he told me it should be a very simple thing to do, you replace a certain number with a larger one.

Even if that is not the case and it's more complicated than changing a value, should it really take a team of techs more than a few days, at the very most? You know, once they actually get down to it, instead of telling customers "we are working as hard as we can to solve your problem", and then checking their watch, everyone grinning at each other like, "ooh it's 12pm, been working for three hours already, time to head down to the pub".

I'm not trying to be insulting to the work you do, and that was a sarcastic exageration, but it's honestly the impression that Spotify's customer service gives to its customers. Either that, or it's simply non-existant.

On second thought, was it an exageration? After ten months, that would add up to 600 hours of work per person. And turning the volume up requires that and more?

Ok, my moment of sarcasm is over now, sorry.

I was paying 13CHF (almost 14USD) per month, for what I believe was over a year. (Total = >$170)

Spotify is f-ing expensive, and has absolutely terrible customer service. From this I can only conclude that they are simply grabbing every buck they can and don't give a flying **bleep** about their customers.

I switched to Deezer a few months ago, same price, but I can actually hear the music whilst on the subway, or even in the street. (And no this is not a problem with my headphones either, they are fairly high end (Sennheiser momentum 2) and isolate exterior sound well.)

The song choice is pretty much the same. At least for the music I like, I only rarely cannot find a song. The audio quality is identical to my ears, and both apps are probably mp3 with the same bitrate anyway.

I strongly encourage anyone experiencing the problem to do the same. And boycott Spotify.

Hi. I feel your frustration...this is my third post on your thread. It's a bit ridiculous. It would be perfect if they just sorted this. As you said it's not like landing a probe on a comet. If we all keep posting will they notice us...the headphone gang. 

Yup. Deezer seems a fine solution. Thanks!

I had this issue with my Pixel XL.  running stock/rooted (root shouldnt matter tho) 8.1.0 and spotify is 8.4.46.575 armV7

Not sure which may have solved it but I followed the total uninstall procedures first:

from the top of this thread

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/COMPLETE-GUIDE-How-to-fix-most-Android-issues/td-p/914257

Then I stumbled upon this thread in a google search:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-tablet-2012/211592-musicfx-preinstalled-your-device...

So I disabled MusicFX and now the sound leves and quality matches the 3 other inputs in my car (AM/FM Radio, Slacker Native and my UBS stick)

again, not sure what fixed it but i'm glad its better.

to disable a system app, go to your 

settings

apps

all apps

then on the top right click the 3dots and select show system

scroll to MusicFX

i cleared the data out first and the disabled it

hope this heps some of you

So this post has been going for nearly a year and there is no sign of a fix  think I'm going to look for a new player. Come on Spotify stop counting your money and pull your finger out 

Disconnect it from Bluetooth then forget the connection. Just restart the Bluetooth connecting as a fresh start. Plays fine for me at least. 

**bleep**. Just letting the phone forget the bluetooth connection and finding it again worked for me as well. Might be an easy fix for you other guys too. Awsome!

Same here. 

What is going on?

For Bluetooth headphones with volume this is not an issue but will my nura phone which has no volume control... Big Issue.

It's not the device problem. Works loud and great using Poweramp music player and Google music. Spotify so low. And this is 2018 may 6 . Low . If it was my device why would it be very loud on Google music and Poweramp? Smart one? Let me know

Same problem here, really disapointing...

This worked for me. Thank you!

"So I disabled MusicFX and now the sound leves and quality matches the 3 other inputs in my car "(AM/FM Radio, Slacker Native and my UBS stick)

again, not sure what fixed it but i'm glad its better.

to disable a system app, go to your 

settings

apps

all apps

then on the top right click the 3dots and select show system

scroll to MusicFX

i cleared the data out first and the disabled it

hope this heps some of you

Suggested posts