Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why is the max volume so quiet?

Solved!

Why is the max volume so quiet?

The volume is way too low on android, spotify simply won't output a higher volume. Unless you can help me with this problem, I'm seriously considering switching to Deezer.

149 Replies

I have the same issue with my Samsung Galaxy S5.  I contacted support today to state the following:  The max volume output from the spotify app playing on my Samsung Galaxy s5 is very low comparable to other music services played on the same exact phone.  For example Amazon music's max volume is just fine and matches volume output when playing local files on the phone itself with samsung music player.  This low 'max volume' seems to be a bug/limitation with the Spotify app.  Can this be fixed?  It is very disappointing that Spotify music doesn't get the punch/amplification when playing through headphones without an additional booster amp.

I just moved to the s8 from IPhone 6s and thought this was a problem with the phone! Realizing it is a Spotify, and I think a Spotify android problem. I cycled between my iPad Spotify and s8 and it was night and day. Then got a free trial of Google play music and realized it's not the phone it's spotify. I have a 3 month free with google hopefully Spotify fixes in that time frame. I really enjoy Spotify but this issue ruins the experience. I was close to returning my ohone! 

Im in the same boat.  Have loved spotify for its ease of use but will happily start a google music trial seeing that this issue still hasn't been resolved. Im honestly pretty heartbroken as i live on spotify and genuinely use it non stop,  but if this is the way they treat customers that have been subscribed for years and essentially invested a good chunk of money in to the company than ill have to try my luck with Google play.  (Im using a samsung S8+)

i have just gone back to Spotify (from Deezer) and I am having the same problem.  looks like this is a common problem that's been going on for some time. It is dissapointing, and once my 3 month come back offer is over I may go back to Deezer if this is not sorted out.   Spotify.... please provide a solution,  this clearly is not an issue with devices, but a problem with Spotify itself.

Same isse with note8. Have to use my phone on max audio with headphones, and whenever I start another media app it almost blows my eardrums. Stopped using Spotify now since I have to turn everything to max to hear the music properly in my car. Luckily Spotify isn't the only useable service anymore

"I contacted support today to state the following:  The max volume output from the spotify app playing on my Samsung Galaxy s5 is very low comparable to other music services played on the same exact phone."

Have you received a reply from support?

Here is the response I received from Spotify:
I understand you'd like this to get fixed as soon as possible and I understand where you're coming from especially that I am an audiophile and I don't usually get satisfied if I feel like the maximum volume is not as loud as I expected to be. What I can do right now is to pass this onto our tech team so that they can take a closer look. We'll get in touch as soon as we have a meaningful update. 

We're always aiming to improve our features so I hope you’ll continue to use it and find it gets better in future. You can also add suggestions to our Community ideas board: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/idb-p/ideas_submissions/. Spotify does keep an eye on the most popular requests.

"Here is the response I received from Spotify:
I understand you'd like this to get fixed as soon as possible and I understand where you're coming from especially that I am an audiophile and I don't usually get satisfied if I feel like the maximum volume is not as loud as I expected to be. What I can do right now is to pass this onto our tech team so that they can take a closer look. We'll get in touch as soon as we have a meaningful update. "

Well, they could start traversing this thread which started in may 2017. And the others.

I recently switched phones to a Pixel XL 2. I love Spotify, I'm a proselytizer for Spotify, and listen to tens of thousands of minutes on Spotify, but you're making me go back to Pandora! When I play anything on Spotify - a downloaded playlist or streaming, it plays at the desired loudness for a split second, then drops by at least 20%. I have my audio setting on the highest volume (which is too high for Pandora or Youtube), but to no avail. I unchecked "Normalize Volume"; doesn't do a thing. 

This has been an issue for a long time. Obviously it's a Spotify issue, since songs play at the desired level briefly, then something internal to Spotify dramatically lowers the volume. 

Please don't post the same auto-response that everyone else on that forum has gotten - "I've sent this to our tech team, blah blah blah . . . " - since if you wanted to fix this you obviously could just by undoing whatever Spotify did to cause the problem that so many people are having!

Glad to see people are actively trying to draw Spotify's attention to the issue. On the other hand, disappointed this hasn't been resolved, especially when the thread was created half a year ago. 

I've been using a Pixel since last year and haven't had any issues with Spotify volume. Recently, I decided to purchase an iPod Touch for the gym and long commutes, but they were still too expensive, so my dad gave me his Samsung S5 running Marshmallow and his 64 GB card as he upgraded recently. 

The S5 is painfully quiet at max. It's darn near 1/5th the volume I was expecting. Youtube, SoundCloud and Bandcamp definitely play louder, so it's Spotify problem. However, my Pixel running Oreo doesn't have any issues. Is it a Samsung problem? That's what I thought initially, but clearly it's a Spotify for Android problem as I've deduced through this thread. 

Will be switching back to Apple Music if the issue is not resolved in a month or so. 

Just disable "Normalize Volume" and restart the app.

Michael G 

Same problem here.

No fix yet?!

Despite Spotify's several canned responses, it wasn't Normalizing the volume, it wasn't the Crossfade, it wasn't the Download/Streaming quality setting, and uninstalling and reinstalling didn't help. 

It was the Equalizer.

My old phone - Samsung Galaxy S7 - had not only an Equalizer, but also the "Customized Audio", which is evidently a Samsung-only product. Which I thought was great, btw! I wish Spotify would license that, or that Android would. My Pixel 2 XL only had a basic Equalizer, which I immediately activated and customized to my preferred settings. When I turned it off, the volume went back to as loud as I wanted it to be; when I turned it on, it immediately dropped by about 20% and sounded overall muted. Which is why other music services didn't have the same problem. 

I can live without the Equalizer, but I'm thinking of downloading one since there are several out there that are supposed to be very good. Of course the problem may recur, so I'll decide then. 

Does anyone have a third-party Equalizer app they would recommend?

I just took the suggestion of setting 'Normalize Volume' to off and made sure streaming was set to 'Extreme Quality', then restarted and it seems to have worked.  After making those changes, I compared the volume with Amazon Music and local files on the phone and it seems fine.  I'll continue validate, thanks for the suggestion.

Also having the same issue!

No eq, no normalization, best quality, .... Volume still low I had to max out both the phone and my HK Omni 10. Is this Android **bleep** or Spotify?

This was now because Bluetooth. I unpaired all devices, cleansed some cache and voila neighbors happy again. Solved for me. 

Check more songs, seems to easy

bb6370a7a6c6643ed2474704e62cf02e.jpg

I looked up on Google "spotify low volume" and got to this thread.

The option in the advanced prefrences "set the same volume level for all songs" does absolutely nothing. I notice no difference in volume level except for the fact that it is VERY quiet. I'm not sure if this was a problem before, as I've only recently noticed it.

It's obvious that EVERYONE is experiencing the same issues. Seems the developers are trying to give us the runaround by asking operating system, device, etc...etc...

I am subscribed to premium, love the sound quality, and the syncing ability between PC, Android and Chromecast.

However seeing how obvious it is that Spotify does nothing to help it's customers, is very disappointing.

I'm about to download TIDAL and start a free trial. Hoping it's better than Spotify.

To Spotify: You will end up losing customers over your inability to simply reply to them even to say "we are looking into it, be patient". By being silent you only reinforce the opinion of people that you do not care what they think or what their issues are.

Good luck everyone.

Can confirm I've canceled spotify premium today and made the switch to apple music, fixed the 'volume problem' immediately!!

Shame really as everything else about Spotify is fautless ime

Also had a lot of friends do the same since they've recently all got Samsung S8 and this seems to be an android problem, everybody is jumping off the iphone boat and running into this problem

Suggested posts