Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

cannot login - "You've already created an account with this email address"

Solved!

cannot login - "You've already created an account with this email address"

Brief description of the issue: when attempting to log in on my phone, I receive the error message in the title.

Steps to reproduce the issue:

1. First, start the spotify app without being previously logged-in
  2. Then, choose "log in"
  3. enter the email address you've signed up with, and your password, then click login.

What steps you’ve tried already: I tried uninstalling Spotify, restarting my phone, then reinstalling Spotify.  The issue persisted.

Your device and operating system (e.g. Samsung Galaxy 4, 5.1.1) Samsung Galaxy S4 (R970.03), US Cellular, Android 5.0.1

Type of Spotify account you have (Free/ Premium): Premium

The app version of Spotify you’re using: 3.5.0.963

Any screenshots, if they can help to explain your issue: attached

Screenshot_2015-08-28-14-55-48.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there,

Please log in using your username instead of email address.

If you cant remember your username (usually it's your email address without the domain name), just head over to your profile page, and then login using your complete email address and password. Once you're logged in, click on Account overview on the left side bar. From there, you can see your username 🙂 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey there,

Please log in using your username instead of email address.

If you cant remember your username (usually it's your email address without the domain name), just head over to your profile page, and then login using your complete email address and password. Once you're logged in, click on Account overview on the left side bar. From there, you can see your username 🙂 

The solution above me worked perfectly!

Funny enough, it was logging in on the laptop and not on the app. But it works perfectly now.

I'm logging in with username + password and getting this error.

Took me a while to figure this out and find the solution.  Seems like there should be a more gentle failure mode here, or the message could me much clearer.  I.E. "make sure you enter your user name, not your email address". OR--just allow login with the email address!  Hope this helps...

This is completely stupid - why isn't this bug fixed yet after >1,5 years?

Actually, there's two errors:

1) You are in a login process, but the errormessage implies, that the software wrongly assumes you're in an account creation situation.
2) The error message is highly misleading.

Why isn't it possible to use the email adress to log in? It certainly should be.

@MaryS

Thank you very much! I had the same problem and didnt think to use my username

Suggested posts