Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

certain downloaded songs won't play

Solved!

certain downloaded songs won't play

I'm running into a really weird and very annoying issue in which all of the songs on two albums will not play on my Samsung Galaxy S5, but only after they have been downloaded to the device (they both stream fine, either before I download the music or after I remove the download).  When I select a song on either album, the progress bar will move as if the song is playing, but there is no sound.  And when it reaches the end, it doesn't move on to the next song.  

Here's what I've done from a troubleshooting perspective (in chronological order).

1. From within Spotify, I deleted all data/cache.

2. I exited Spotify and deleted all cached data for the entire phone using the S5's built-in storage management functions.

3. Uninstall Spotify.

3. Using ES File Explorer, I confirmed that there were no Spotify folders in the Android/Data folder on either the main device or microSD card.

4. Restart the phone and reinstall Spotify.

5. Confirm that both albums will stream to the phone properly.

6. Download the albums.

7. Problem repeats itself.

I've gone through this process multiple times, saving to either the microSD card or the main device (and removing the card entirely). I've even gone so far as to do a factory reset of the phone. Nothing seems to work.

A few additional pieces of information: a number of songs on these albums did play fine in download mode just a few days or so ago (and had for many months prior). But I had downloaded only select tracks from the albums. Over the weekend I downloaded many more songs from the same albums. That is when the problem began.

The problem applies to all songs on the albums Forge & Flagon and Down of Deptford Broadway (both by the band Skinny Lister). They do have a few singles on Spotify that play fine when downloaded. The problem is with those two albums only. Also, I don't have this problem with my Asus Zenpad tablet. So there is something about the Galaxy S5 (hopefully not mine alone).  Any thoughts?

EDIT:  I'm running Android 5.0, I have a premium Spotify account, and am running version 5.1.0.849 of the app.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Please see this thread about how to report broken or incorrect track data.

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Music-Chat/PLEASE-READ-Reporting-Incorrect-Track-Info/td-p/25291

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Nice troubleshooting. Have you tried changing the quality setting of downloaded tracks? And then download again?

Android Troubleshooting:

Just tried that (changing the quality settings and redownloading).  No luck.  This is so infuriating.  As soon as the little download indicator for a song turns green (it's finished), the song becomes unplayable (unless you like staring at a silent progress bar).

Marked as solution

Please see this thread about how to report broken or incorrect track data.

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Music-Chat/PLEASE-READ-Reporting-Incorrect-Track-Info/td-p/25291

Android Troubleshooting:

It's been fixed.  I submitted the songs yesterday afternoon and this morning I could download them and have them play.  That seems pretty darned quick.  

Just another follow up:

After I got home from work today, I saw that I received this email from the Spotify support:

"Thanks for sending these details to us. We really appreciate it 🙂

Looking at your account from our end, we can see that something occurred with the offline files on your devices. It seems the cache has become corrupted and was disconnected from the app.

Don't worry, if you follow this link you can reset your offline devices. Then you'll need to perform a quick reinstall of Spotify with these steps. This will clear any unnecessary connections between your phone and your Spotify account."

While I had followed those steps before sending in the notice of broken songs, I didn't do anything after I sent the request for help - the songs simply worked this morning.  So maybe they did something on their end.  In any event, if the goal was to clear any unnecessary connections between my phone and my Spotify account, I don't understand why the factory reset I performed didn't achieve that goal.  So I'm a bit unclear as to exactly what fixed the problem.  Just posting this in case anyone else runs into this issue in the future.  In any case, I'm good now.  Thanks for all of the help!

Suggested posts