Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

chewing my data

chewing my data

I usually only listen to playlist, and those playlist are down loaded on my device. My question is why has Spotify started chewing an incredible amount of data? This month Spotify has eaten 6.88 gb of it and I still have till the 22nd. This is abnormal for this application. In the years I've had it I've never encountered this issue. This would also explain why my phone is burning thorough it's battery while I'm at work.

Before I updated to lollipop I could turn on Spotify let it run over a 10 hour work day, and still have 65% battery. Not anymore. Please help.

Note 3 Android 5.0
14 Replies

are you toggled (under settings) to be in offline mode? If not, the problem is that the app's default is to play online. So if you go to your menu, tap settings, then there will be a toggle "offline mode" tap that, and that should fix your problem. 🙂
Keep the party going! Please accept solutions if they helped with your question! I am not an official spotify representative, just another user trying to help out. 🙂

No I am not. But what does that mean? That I need to keep toggling back and forth? I have never had to do that with the app before.. Is something that Spotify has now changed? I just went and toggled it to offline mode and it tells me 29 days before I have to go back online.

I was under the assumption that when you toggle playlist to download to your device, those playlist are downloaded to my device.. That's how the app has worked for the last 3 or so years I've had it.

The only thing that has changed, is my phone updated to 5.0. This amount of data chewing is unacceptable..Screenshot_2015-05-15-08-24-05.png

Spotify can only be offline for 30 days due to the premium plans, each month you need to go online and Spotify check your subscription, then you need to turn on Offline Mode.

What does it mean?
It means that the spotify app is no longer trying to stream from the internet.
Do I have to toggle back and forth?
Well, if you are only listening in offline mode, then no. Just leave it off. If you want to download the music, I recommend doing it over WiFi whenever possible because streaming music has always used an inordinate amount of data.

I think that the default setting of the app is to play online whenever possible. If you want to be online (aka have 3g/4g enabled), you will have to toggle spotify to be in offline mode. right @OviiiOne ?
Keep the party going! Please accept solutions if they helped with your question! I am not an official spotify representative, just another user trying to help out. 🙂

Yes, Spotify plays music online by default.

Since when has Spotify started doing this? This is definitely new as I have never encountered this issue in the past. And it is rather frustrating to have to toggle back and forth. The app should automatically play offline from default unless it is streaming something not downloaded.

I mean seriously. Isn't that the point of downloading my music to begin with? Not happy Spotify. Not happy

So this now means I have to toggle it off. When people share music to me, I then have to go toggle it on. When I shazam music I have to go toggle it on. If I want to start a radio station (usually while driving) I have to fumble to the settings and toggle it on. And hope I don't forget to toggle it back off or I get robbed by my carrier because Spotify chewed 7 gb out of a 10 gb plan. Well played developers. Very well played

If you would like, you can go search the ideas forum and try and rally support for an idea (if one is existing) to get it implemented. If nothing shows up from a search, create a new idea that involves what you think needs to be changed.

Once again my question is when was this changed?

To my knowledge, it has always been that way - that it goes online whenever possible... at least on my mobile device(s).

This has just now become an issue for me. I've never had a problem with Spotify chewing my data. And I've never once toggled the offline button since having this app. I believe in right at 3 years of my Spotify account. My question now, is why has this become an issue? I have not changed anything in the way of how I use Spotify.

With that said, I'm not pleased with the way this app is progressing. I'm not at all happy with the your music opening page of the app. And now I have to fumble around for an offline toggle for music that is " downloaded" to my phone.

I need to find a better solution to the data issue. As I will not fumble with the offline toggle switch, as most of my app use is whilst driving.

Again, why would my data increase as dramatically as it has in the last 20 or so days if I have changed nothing in the application?

It's not necessary to switch on offline mode, you can make the playlist available offline, and then, you'll only use data for searches and not synced songs.

I have made my playlist available off line. That is what I'm saying. I have toggled all my playlist to download, available off line, what ever you want to call it snd Spotify is chewing massive amounts of my data. I very very rarely listen to a radio stations. I would say 97% of my monthly music consumption through the app is from my "downloaded" playlist, get this month Spotify has used 6.88gb of a 10gb plan. Something is not adding up here.

Suggested posts