Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

proportion of songs available in 'extreme' quality

proportion of songs available in 'extreme' quality

hi all

i've searched many forums and websites for the answer to this but nobody seems to know. please can somebody help me clarify - no speculation here, i need a definite answer - what fraction of the songs currently on the spotify library are available in the not-so-'extreme' 320kbps quality?

listening through my galaxy sii and very nice beyerdynamic headphones i can definitely notice inferior quality as compared with my ipod, which itself doesn't have the best soundcard in the world, so is this purely the sii's potentially horrendous soundcard or am i mostly receiving the ridiculously-un-'high' 160kbps quality?

thanks

9 Replies

I think you're unlikely to get an official response on this - Spotify don't really have a communication plan unless its pimping their latest new (usually iOS) features to the media
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

Egerton - I can't give a specific percentage right now, but it should be most of the catalogue.
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

It's 99,9% of catalogue in 320 kbps. 🙂

@hpguru wrote:

It's 99,9% of catalogue in 320 kbps. 🙂

Source?

----------------

Spotify Customer service.

Also in old community official response.

"All music streamed through Spotify is of high quality (no less than 96 kbps for mobile and 160 kbps for desktop). We have a catalog of more than 15 million tracks and more than 99.9% are available in high bitrate (320 kbps) for our Premium users. Our catalog adds an average of 10,000 new tracks daily and we add the newly added tracks as quickly as possible."

https://getsatisfaction.com/spotify/topics/why_so_little_music_available_at_320_kbps

"Update: We've recently been working on transcoding tracks in our catalogue. To clarify, we have a catalog of more than 15 million tracks* and more than 99% are now available in high bitrate (320 kbps) for our Premium users. Our catalogue adds an average of 10,000 new tracks daily and we add the newly added tracks as quickly as possible."

Does that match with what you found when you were testing that command line option to get it to report the bit-rate?
----------------

Yes, all songs in my playlist in 320 kbps these days. 😉

ah yes, thanks.

i saw the start of that forum thread a while ago but it was never resolved at that time. well, it's good to know spotify are pulling their weight. now they just need to make it more plain what the default setting is upon install and how to ramp up the bitrate.

i guess i will have to blame the weakest link in the chain then, my samsung galaxy sii. well, it is just a phone after all.

Suggested posts