Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

"No storage area found"

Solved!

"No storage area found"

Hi,

Lately I've been having some trouble when opening spotify. Whenever I open it, it notifies me that there is "no storage area found". I've tried different solutions like uninstalling the app, removing the file android/data/com.spotify, I've cleared data, cleared caches etc, but nothing seems to work.
Some other site told me that somehow spotify doesn't ask permission to use your storage, so you have to do it yourself. If that helps, how do I do that? And if that isn't the case, how do I fix this problem?

Thanks!
77 Replies

@thef1chesser,

I did try resinstalling the card and I was hopeful.

Spotify worked yesterday with the SD card installed.

However, Spotify reverted back to the blank screen behavior this morning.

Note that I did not restart my phone. Hell, I didn't even plug it in to charge (still at 63% as of now...I'm loving this new S7 Edge).

Checking app information, storage is not 774 GIGABYTES.

See definitely some issues with Spotify + SD Card + 6.0.x.

FWIW, I just updated to Spotify 5.1.0.849 hoping that this was addressed but unfortunately not.

After installing 5.1, memory storage immediately jumped to 394 GB.

I was in the process of cancelling my sub and I noticed one option to contact premium support. 

I'll give them a chance to respond with something reasonable.

Otherwise... what else are y'all using?

Aggie

I have the exactly same problem 'no storage area found' and I have tried everything ( reinstalling ect. I even though that the fault was in my phone so I got a new one same as the old which is huawei honor 4x) so I can't listen to spotify, and my phone won't download any whatsapp pictures or voice messages, and it won't save any pictures. So is the problem ?? Someone please help with this, this means I can't use my phone....

found this from another poster and it worked for me

""I had the same problem and tried all this stuff but what finally worked for me was: go to settings, select apps, select Spotify, select clear cache, select clear data & select uninstall. Then go to settings, select storage, select unmount sd card for safe removal & remove sd card. Leave it out while you reinstall Spotify. Check to make sure it's working correctly, if so, turn off phone, reinstall sd card, power on phone and you should be good to go.

Haha, thanks Frankieb3. Glad this helped people, I know I was frustratedhaving this problem. Good luck everyone!

Thanks to  nikkiverkerk for starting this post!

Man btw

I have tried everything - so thank you so much for this 🙂

When I tried this approach, Spotify worked for a day and then stopped working.

So you guys that gave this solution kudos...are you still working?

I have recently updated my spotify. After a while i cant seem to access my songs. I tried to uninstall and reinstall it. But afterwards i cant even access spotify itself. It keeps saying "spotify is not responding" and "no storage area found". I tried everything they said i should try like deleting data and cache but nothing worked.

Solution that i found was changing my default storage from SD card to phone storage. It worked. But i hate that I now have to redownload all 600 of my songs. 😒👎

I have the same problem too. I have an androit phone and already installed the latest software update... reinstalled spotify for 3 times already.. nothing seems to work. Does anyone know what to do?
Marked as solution

I've figured out a way if the other solutions don't work.

1. Go to Spotify app info.

2. Tap clear data.

3. Tap ok.

4. Go to file manager or a similar app.

5. Go to the SD card then Android then data.

6. Select com.spotify.music

7. Move the file to device storage, android, data.

8. Open Spotify and sign in.

9. Your music should be there.

10. If not then download all your (painfutracks l but worth it).

11. In Spotify go to settings, then scroll down all the way down and select where to store all your music or something like that.

12. Then tap on device storage.

13. Hopefully your good to go! Enjoy your music!
Marked as solution

10. If not then download all your tracks (painful but worth it).
Marked as solution

I've updated my S5 over weekend from 5 to 6 android. Had exactly the same error.

However, my fix was simpler. Maybe there is newer spotify version already, which solves half of the hassle.

In my case:

1. Go to application manager -> Force Stop
  2. Uninstall
  3. Install

And it's working. However, currently I have no premium, so maybe the fix in my case was simpler (no need to download songs for offline listening).

Hi,
I updated my S5 to Android OS 6.0 and was experiencing 'No storage area found' problems. The app would not even open got me.

I had my music stored on a 32GB SD card.

I uninstalled Spotify and reinstalled it. It wiped all the Spotify music stored on my SD card in the process. When I tapped on the Spotify app it was still not opening and I was getting the 'No storage. ...' error.

I went into App Settings - Spotify and selected Force Stop. I then cleared Memory / Cache.
I then changed permissions to allow Spotify access memory.
Spotify worked after thus but my music was now being stored on the internal phone memory. Not good for me as the S5 only has 16GB and not much free space.

I went into Spotify settings and selected Storage. This allowed me set the SD card as the music storage location. The app then transferred the music I had currently downloaded to the SD card.

All is working now and I'm currently enjoying my bad taste in music the same way I was before I updated the Android OS!

This worked! Thankyou!!

Glad it worked. Mine is still fine now.

This worked for me! Thank you so much!!! 🙂

@Tpt89 wrote:
found this from another poster and it worked for me

""I had the same problem and tried all this stuff but what finally worked for me was: go to settings, select apps, select Spotify, select clear cache, select clear data & select uninstall. Then go to settings, select storage, select unmount sd card for safe removal & remove sd card. Leave it out while you reinstall Spotify. Check to make sure it's working correctly, if so, turn off phone, reinstall sd card, power on phone and you should be good to go.

"I had the same problem and tried all this stuff but what finally worked for me was: go to settings, select apps, select Spotify, select clear cache, select clear data & select uninstall. Then go to settings, select storage, select unmount sd card for safe removal & remove sd card. Leave it out while you reinstall Spotify. Check to make sure it's working correctly, if so, turn off phone, reinstall sd card, power on phone and you should be good to go."

This solution worked for me, but not until I installed a new microSD card into my phone instead of putting the old one back into the phone like the solution suggests!

I didnt have the patience to wait after two weeks of no help from spotify customer support. Thanks y'all!

HI, I have exactly the same problem. Reinstalling the app, remove sd card, nothing helped. Did you get reply from Spotify?

tHanks Jakub

sorry this message was to

Concert Regular
‎2016-02-24 04:41 PM

thanks Jakub

Hey, just wanted to come here and say you are 100% right!

The issue here, which I faced just a while ago, has to do with the way the MarshMallow version of Android behaves.

To fix this issue (which does not require root at all):
1. Go into your settings.
2. Select your App Manager (it may be named differently, mine was just 'Apps').
3. Select 'Spotify'.
4. Select 'Permissions'.
5. Switch the little toggle next to 'Storage' (the others are not necessary) and Spotify should now work.
6. Enjoy!

Suggested posts