Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

"No storage area found"

Solved!

"No storage area found"

Hi,

Lately I've been having some trouble when opening spotify. Whenever I open it, it notifies me that there is "no storage area found". I've tried different solutions like uninstalling the app, removing the file android/data/com.spotify, I've cleared data, cleared caches etc, but nothing seems to work.
Some other site told me that somehow spotify doesn't ask permission to use your storage, so you have to do it yourself. If that helps, how do I do that? And if that isn't the case, how do I fix this problem?

Thanks!
77 Replies

It doesn't work on my phone Android 5.0.

I followed the steps and it still downloads to internal storage.

Google play music can download to SD Card, suggestions?

The storage option doesnt show up even after reinstalling and following instructions

On Android 6.0.1/6.0, I opened up settings - apps - spotify - permissions - allow storage - force stop the app. The notification should go away and stay that way when you relaunch the app.- WORKS!

I've seen lots of different work-arounds listed here, but no sign of a real fix from Spotify. I got fed up waiting, so after 6 years of being a Spotify Pro subscriber I switched to Google Play Music in May, and it's been working fine since then, no memory card problems. If Spotify aren't going to fix their app bugs they'll just lose more customers...

Hey @babyfrank - good to see you still hang out here despite having moved to Play Music. IIt can be tough to distinguish between a bug in spotify, hardware problems and user error. I guess one of the indicators would be the percentage of users on a particular platform experiencing the same problem. Play Music is a simpler ecosystem - no caches, music stored as straightforward MP3s but still isn't without its problems.

Thanks.  I tried this and it workd for a few weeks but it has happened again

I don't understand Spanish either. English translation please. Edward, Bedford, IN 47421 USA

Hey-o!

I have just experienced this no more than hour ago. Here are the steps I've taken to get my Spotify back up and running:

1. Go to Settings> Apps> click on Spotify and uninstall the program.
2. From Settings select Storage. Select User Storage and change Primary Storage to Phone.
3. Go to your App Store and install Spotify once again.

I experienced this an hour ago after reformatting my phone to factory settings and it happened to work. Granted my phone may be older, but it did the trick. Hope this helps! Best of luck.

if you unmount your sd card and then reinstall spotify it works on the samsung galaxy s7

I found that manually giving spotify permission to access storage (it's in app options if you are on Marshmallow) fixes the issue. I also cleared the cache and then force stopped the app before restarting it.

It's Portuguese, I can stand just a little bit of that language it's so similar to Spanish

Hi all. Got an HTC 10, bought fancy SD storage card, upgraded to Spotify Premium, and spent a day cursing cos I couldn't "see" any storage option, and no matter what I did, anything I downloaded went straight on to the internal 32GB storage. Tried reinstalling, clearing cache, everything suggested.

Not sure if this helps anyone, but I did the following (along with clearing cache, etc.) and it seems to work! Even though the app still doesn't give me a 'storage' option, nor can I choose to 'change' the storage from internal via the Settings >> Apps route, I can definitely see that anything I download is now going on to the SD card! Success.

So, I uninstalled Spotify. Ejected the SD card (safely). Reinstalled Spotify, and then reinserted SD card. Logged in to Spotify. I then came out of Spotify and went to... 

Settings >> Apps >> Spotify 

I then selected 'Permissons' and switched on the Phone, Contacts and (importantly!) STORAGE bars on the right. 

Hey-presto... now whenever I download anything it goes straight to the SD card (and you can check via the Andriod Settings >> Storage and 'see' the SD card filling up.

Hope this helps everyone. Not a techie, as you might be able to tell... 😉

Marked as solution

Just allowing spotify to access my phone's storage in the app settings works without the need to uninstall or clear caches.

So maybe try this first before anything else 🙂

Settings >> Apps >> Spotify

I then selected 'Permissons' and switched on the Phone, Contacts and (importantly!) STORAGE bars on the right.

Yup... (urgh...!)

Hi,I had the same problem and l opened the app permisions and enabled them(they ain't enabled automatically)and the problem solved immediately.try it;)

I have this problem too. But I have android 4.2.2. My tablet pocketbook SURFpad (obrey) have very bag firmware (my tablet have 2 inner memory) and i can't reflash my tablet. I can't get memory. I can delete, read and change memory. But after i log into my account, i can't delete and change memory. And very slow upload photos and videos. May, my tablet broken?? I don't know. Help, please. If you can help me, please write in my email (markavdeev3003@gmail.com). And sorry for my english!

In my case (Android 7.1.2, Moto G4 Plus), it seems that formatting the SD card as "internal" causes this issue (I've fail-checked with a SD card formatted as "external": no such error message). Hopefully this all has not already be covered elsewhere!

The only method that solved it for me was as follows:

1. Uninstall Spotify.
  2. Remove SD card.
  3. Restart phone (reinstall failed otherwise).
  4. Install Spotify.
  5. Grant all permissions for Spotify (including "storage" in system preferences for apps, not sure if all are required, probably not).
  6. Insert SD card (still formatted as "internal").
  7. Restart phone.
  8. Enjoy! 🙂

Suggested posts