Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

"No storage area found"

Solved!

"No storage area found"

Hi,

Lately I've been having some trouble when opening spotify. Whenever I open it, it notifies me that there is "no storage area found". I've tried different solutions like uninstalling the app, removing the file android/data/com.spotify, I've cleared data, cleared caches etc, but nothing seems to work.
Some other site told me that somehow spotify doesn't ask permission to use your storage, so you have to do it yourself. If that helps, how do I do that? And if that isn't the case, how do I fix this problem?

Thanks!
77 Replies
Marked as solution

I had the same problem and tried all this stuff but what finally worked for me was: go to settings, select apps, select Spotify, select clear cache, select clear data & select uninstall. Then go to settings, select storage, select unmount sd card for safe removal & remove sd card. Leave it out while you reinstall Spotify. Check to make sure it's working correctly, if so, turn off phone, reinstall sd card, power on phone and you should be good to go.

That seems to have worked! For now, at least. Now I need to figure out why
when I take a picture that is supposed to save to my SD card, it says
"failed to write file." This update seems to have really messed with SD
card permissions or something

Estou usando o Google Translate, então eu espero que isso funcione. tente o seguinte: vá para as configurações, selecione Aplicativos, selecione Spotify, selecione limpar o cache, selecione dados claros e selecione Desinstalar. Em seguida, vá para as configurações, selecione o armazenamento, selecione Desinstalar cartão SD para remoção segura e retire o cartão SD. Deixe-o para fora quando você reinstalar o Spotify. Certifique-se de que está funcionando corretamente, se assim for, desligue o telefone, reinstale o cartão SD, poder no telefone e você deve ser bom para ir.

After I uploaded to Android 6.0 I had the same problem that Spotify didn't open anymore and just said that it couldn't find storage area. In my case it just helped to uninstall and reinstall the app, who knows why. But when I go to settings - apps - Spotify - permissions it shows me that the app doesn't have any permissions at all, not even on my storage, although Spotify tells me that the data is saved on my SD card...that seems kind of odd..
But I hope you guys can fix your issue

I updated my Moto G to Marshmallow on Feb 14th, and for nearly a month was running with a 64gb Sandisk card formatted as adopted storage without any issues, using Spotify, Google Music and many other apps all using the SD card memory. I updated my Spotify app on March 12th and almost immediately got this "no storage found" message.

I assumed it was the SD card at fault so returned it and got another (32gb Kingston) card. To my disappointment this showed the same issue almost straight away.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, I've tried formatting the SD card as external storage, I've tried a complete factory reset of my phone (twice) and still get this problem.

I noticed yesterday that the folder on the SD card with the Spotify data reports a huge data usage... On my phone it said that Spotify was storing 533 GB ( Yes, GB!) on the card, and I couldn't delete it, I expect root access would be required. Clearly you can't store 533GB on a 32 GB card, so there's something fishy going on, but it does make me wonder if this is connected to the "no space" error message.

I've been a Premium subscriber for over 5 years, very disappointed thay the service I'm paying for is now unusable on mobile... 😞

said I've had this issue as well. I've also found that it might be the SD card that might be the issue. (Via a1 sd bench I've discovered mine only has a write speed of 10 mb/s. Which apparently is not enough for Spotify.

Removing my SD card and then reïnstalling (and restarting my phone) fixed the issue for me. So I'll use my internal memory for now.

Like tygucc said... maybe read before reply.

My first suspicion was a faulty sd card, but when I replaced it (with a
faster card) I got the same issue. As I said it had been working fine for 4
weeks before this, until I installed the Spotify update which was to allow
selection of storage. That said, I'll check the speed of my card and see if
I'm getting what was advertised...

I tried tygucc's method, at the suggestion of @SpotifyCares. It worked initially, but then when I picked up the phone after its overnight charge, Spotify was reporting the old "No storage area" error message. Interestingly a power cycle of the phone fixed the problem (for now at least...) which hadn't happened before. We'll see what happens later today and overnight.

Incidentally, checked my SD card speeds as suggested and I'm getting 39MBs for both read and write, so it doesn't sound like the speef of the card is an issue.

Make sure your SD card is all the way in...that fixed my problem

You da MAN!!! Or woMAN!!!

This happened to me because I tryed changing how the music saved on my phone and it missed right up this is wot I did it get it to work
I uninstalled the app then went to settings clicked on backup & restart then go to automatic restore app click on it the tick will go restore the app then go on the Spotify app sign back in go to storage click on device storage then it should work I then went back onto backup and restore clicked back on automatic restore. I hope this helps people

Thanks it definitely worked couldn't be without Spotify for too long.

This didn't work for me or others. Not sure why this is marked as a solution because it worked for one user. Unimpressed with Spotify support thus far. 😞

Galaxy S7

Agreed, none of the "solutions" have worked for me despite multiple tries,
resets and reformation.

I've rolled back to an earlier version of Spotify (the one that worked
flawlessly for weeks after my initial Marshmallow upgrade) to see if that
fixes the issue.

I'm one day away from canceling my subscription because of this problem.

AT&T G7 Edge with 32G SD Card

Android 6.0.1

I've forced stop, pressed Clear Data and Clear Cache

Uninstall

Reinstall

Try Clear Data and Clear Cache again

I enabled permissions for storage, contacts, and phone

I'm not sure I've seen anyone else post this, but under App Manager, Storage, it says that the app is using "566GB of Data" storage. Yes, that is GB, not MB not a typo.

WTF?

The Clear Data button isn't doing anything about it.

I also enabled all 3 permissions settings available to me (Contact, Phone, Storage)

Well, now the SOB wont even start. 

Gig'em

I've seen the 500+ GB data message as well, as recently as yesterday, see
attachment.

Update - working but I'm not confident

1. Uninstalled

2. Rebooted

3. Reinstalled...but did not open

4. Application Manager|Spotify

4.1. Enable permissions for Contact, Phone, and Storage

4.2 I notice memory no longer said "566gb"

5. Start Spotify app and log in

6. Check Application Manager|Spotify again..memory is at a more reasonable 177MB

7. Open Spotify Configuration

7.1 Storage automaticlly set to SD card. Status says "Checking..."

8. Start downloading a 53 song play list.

9. App appears a bit laggy, but downloads are happening

10. Play song from playlist

So things are looking good...

11. Reboot

12. Check notifications. I don't have the "No storage area found" message

13. Application Manager | Spotify

13.1 Storage now at 29.95 GB. Seems high for 53 songs

14. Start app

AND THE DAMNED WHEELS COME OFF

Black screen. 

Check notifications and there it is : "No Storage Area Found"

@Spotify: please get the tribe chiefs talking about this and figure out why you player app isn't communicating effectively with your storage services. 

try reinstalling with the SD card removed.

Thanks, but already tried that several times.

I've now rolled back to V4.6 of the app, as it was working without issue
for several weeks before the V4.7 SW hit and I started seeing this issue.
I'll see if that works consistently...

Suggested posts