Step 1

NEXT STEP

"Now playing" screen freezes but continues to play the playlist

"Now playing" screen freezes but continues to play the playlist

Premium

USA

Samsung Galaxy S9+

Android 10

Recently, about a month maybe, when I change the playlist or get in my car and connect via Bluetooh, the "now playing" screen will freeze on what I was listening to before changing the playlist or getting in the car but plays the playlist that I've selected. It shows the old song on pause at whatever timestamp I swapped or connected. I will close and reopen the app but this doesn't resolve. I've also updated and un-installed/re-installed.

20 Replies

I also have this exact problem. Began to happen after to got my smartwatch.
To pause the music I'm playing I need to open up "currently playing" at the bottom and then first press Play (even though it is already playing music) and then pause.
I can play any song from whatever playlist or search and Play, but it doesn't change the song in "currently playing" or the timestamp of any song.

To fix this issue I needed to delete all data from the app and then logging back in. That will fix the issue for a while but then comes back after a period of time. I think the problem is the watch but I don't want to remove the watch or uninstall the app from the watch, even though it basically useless in this state anyway, cause I can't controll the music from the watch because it's only showing what's current playing...

Any solution or a known bug perhaps?

Do you also have a Galaxy watch? I have the same problem and a Galaxy watch. see also this topic: App showing title of one same song

I'm starting to think (also) the galaxy watch app is the trouble maker.

ive had this same problem over the last two days. Unlike the other repliers,I do not have a smart watch, but I am using a Samsung Galaxy 9+. It's so annoying bc it makes skipping through ads on podcasts impossible since my now playing screen is stuck on a 3 min song, so once I get past 3 mins, I can't skip ahead. It's driving me crazy. If anyone finds a fix, lmk!

I've also been having the same problem lately. I also have a Galaxy watch, but I'm not sure that's causing the issues. 

Did you ever manage to find the cause or a solution to this problem?

after i removed the app from my watch, it my phone was working fine again. I have now reinstalled on my watch. see how it goes...

after i installed the app on my watch again (which was not working, but that's not for this topic probably) I had the "now playing" stuck again. so i think it must be the app on the watch... can somebody else try and see if it works normally without the watch app?

I've had this same problem for a few months now across two phones, a Google Pixel 2 XL and a One Plus 7T. It didn't matter which phone, and neither of them have had a smart watch attached to them. I don't think this is related to smart watches, I have to imagine its somehow related to data caching. 

Hey there folks, 

Thanks for posting on the Community about this. 

If you think this issue might be caused by data cache we recommend giving it a try with a clean reinstall of the Spotify app on each device. Check out this help article on how to perform a clean reinstall depending on the device you're using. 

In case this doesn't help, try disabling any power saving or data cleaning settings on your mobile device. Alternatively, you can try authorizing Spotify to run without restrictions despite the mentioned settings being enabled. Make sure you try this since such features can often prevent the app from operating at full capacity.

Keep us posted! We'll be here in case you need any further help with this. 

Yeah... Thanks Ivan... You're the 3rd Moderator to suggest that. As you can read in this thread I've already tried all generic (reboot, clear cache, reinstall) solutions. more of my fairytales you can read here, here and here.

Can you please provide us a less generic solution? I would like to use the app on my watch again.

I turnes off the battery saving mode and it did fix it. But. I do want to have that battery saving mode. you should do a patch because this is weird and inconvenient

I had this issue when I started using my galaxy watch. My solution was to uninstall the spotify app from my watch and just use the music app instead. Obviously this should not be an issue in the first place but for those of you who need a quick fix.. there you go.

Same problem here but with no smart watch.  I have also tried all the generic solutions (restart, clear cache, reinstall) and nothing fixes the issue.

I'm also having this problem. I'm on an Android OPPO A5. I feel like it may have started with the last Android update? The now playing screen freezes. Have tried everything the people above have tried. I don't have a smart watch.

I've been having this issue for at least a couple of months. It's very annoying, and also my music will randomly pause when the app is in "frozen Now Playing" mode. I'm paying for Premium, this shouldn't be a prolonged issue. 

And while you guys are at it, bring back the widget for Android. 

Hey folks!

Thank you for reporting this to us.

We have received a few other reports about this issue with the songs not changing on the Now Playing View and we're currently looking further into this.

Make sure to head over to this Ongoing Issue thread, where we'll keep you posted on our progress.

@mightyducknoir the widget for Android should be up and running. If you have trouble with that, we'd recommend opening a new thread in the Help boards, so that we'll be able to help out further.

Cheers!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

The only thing, that worked for me was deleting cache and app data. Hope it'll help.

Same problem here but no smart watch. See it happen first on Spotify in Android auto, the car touchsceen freezes but the music keeps going on. Also recently it started happening on my mobile phone. I have several gadgets with Spotify: a Yamaha net receiver, an Android box tv, the smartphone, the PC... It looks like a problem with the "Connect to a device" option, perhaps a compatibility issue between different apps/OS.

Hey there @JoaoEsteves

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community, and welcome 🙂

We’re aware of an Ongoing Issue causing the behavior that you describe and the team in charge is currently looking into it.

In this case, we’d recommend adding your +VOTE to this Ongoing Issue. You can also subscribe to it by clicking the three-dot menu next to the title and we’ll keep you updated with any relevant updates there.

If anything else comes up, we're always a message away.

Cheers.

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hello,

i have the same problem.

After a few songs the title screen will freeze. The music continues.

I only get the current track displayed when i switch to the home screen and back to Spotify.

I am using Android 11 and have uninstalled the Spotify App an my smartwatch.

best regards,

Jens

Suggested posts