Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

"Song not available"

"Song not available"

I freqently get "song not available" when trying to play songs.  I have my settings set to not show songs that aren't available.  If I remove and reinstall the app, I can then play the songs, so it's not that they've been removed from Spotify.  This is really annoying, I'm having to do this every few days to fix it. 

Does anyone else have this problem?  

I have a Nexus 6P

4 Replies

Hey @markvr, welcome to the Spotify Community!

We’d like to know a bit more about what’s happening. Can you let us know what’s the operating system and version of Spotify you’re using? We’ll see what we can suggest.

We’ll be waiting for your answer 🙂

hi, it's Android 7.0 at the latest patch level, and the latest Spotify (6.9.0.1212  armv7)

I would also like to bump this thread concerning 'song not available'. Is this perhaps some sort of authentication error? 

I have experienced this error significantly more since the last several updates. Of course, it is very frustrating. The frequency of this error appears to increase when you're switching cell phone towers often. For example, when traveling. I have also noticed that hand-in-hand with this is also the sudden disappearance of songs that had previously been downloaded to my phone. And when leaving the country the entire playlist switched off and had to be downloaded fully once again. This could have been my own error, but I believe that I did not remove the playlist.

A good example of this error very recently for me: I just travelled from Denver CO to Southern Illinois. I have my entire "Songs" bookmarked list downloaded physically to my android LG G4 phone. I decided to listen to comedy, and picked out Daniel Tosh's new 2016 set. At the very end of this set, on the very last track "Black" the phone said that 'this song is unavailable". It also said that every other song that was not physically on my phone was unavailable. However, I realized as well that when I looked at my downloaded playlist that seemingly random songs had suddenly been marked as not downloaded. This was periodic throughout the entire list. I want to say that this seems to be some sort of validation problem.

As another example of this error occurring --during my stay in Australia. I was using the Telstra network and anything that was not on my phone physically was 'unavailable'; I also noted that for some reason my previously downloaded playlist continuously became 'unavailable' off and on. I had to redownload the playlist I had had on my phone as I stated in the beginning, I realized that it had been deleted and I'm unsure why. That being said, I know that there are different licenses in foreign countries, but it should technically have been a smooth transition. Instead, this error became extremely frequent and resigned myself to playing only songs that I had physically redownloaded over wifi. I also logged into my account on an Australia android LG G5 unit and it worked perfectly.

This seems to be a very prevalent bug in the application and it is very, very frustrating. I feel that I'm paying ever more for Spotify (which I adore and has given me the ability to infinitely expand my musical tastes) yet the UI is improving but the service itself has not. Please address this issue. At the very least, I'd like to see an announcement stating that you are continuing to look into the problem. It is clearly widespread.

I do want to mention that I was able to restart the phone and fix the error during my drive from CO to IL. That being said, I have continuously experienced this error while in Colorado and not travelling. I should also note that I use the Verizon network, not that this seems to be of importance as far as this particular bug is concerned.

I was not able to fix the error during my stay in Australia, but of course that should been looked at with more leniency.

I believe I have also seent his problem on my desktop program as well, but much more rarely.

Suggested posts