Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

"Sorry, the music stopped since your spotify account is being used on another device"

"Sorry, the music stopped since your spotify account is being used on another device"

Plan

Premium

Country

US

Device

All devices

My Question or Issue

I am getting increasingly frustrated by Spotify constantly stopping when I run it through my Google Chromecast Audio.  Sometimes I get the above message, and sometimes it just stops.  Any tips?  Or should I switch streaming services to one that works with Google?

9 Replies

Hey, @ied3-us_oe7o 
Welcome to Spotify Community and thanks for reaching out here!

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing that kind of issue...

Initially, I'd like that you double-check and make sure:

• The device you're playing from is connected to the same WiFi network as your Chromecast Audio.
  • Your Chromecast Audio software is up-to-date.
  • You have the latest version of Spotify on your device.
  • You're not trying to play local files. These are not supported by Chromecast Audio. 

If you’re still having trouble after those checks, I recommend that you try to reboot your Chromecast:

1. Make sure your mobile device or tablet is connected to the same Wi-Fi as your Chromecast device. 
  2. Open the Google Home app unnamed.png 
  3. Tap your device Settings unnamed (1).png

4. At the top right, tap More unnamed (2).png

Reboot.

If possible, I also recommend that you try a clean reinstallation of the Spotify app on your device. Check out this support article to get help with it.

If you have any other further questions or need more help, let me know! I'd love to help!

Best Regards,
hezorg

LuanSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I have the same problem with Google assistant and I did these things and the problem persists. Logged out all devices, cleared all cookies, reboot and reset google assistant; when the problem is on, it's on, nothing can stop it.

Actually the problem seems to persist in some days, in other days it works without issues, without any further configuration.

I know the logical answer is that the user must have forgotten something and used the account on two different devices. No, this is not the cause problem. I am a single user and I had this problem many times. Yes, I am using multiple devices but (lol) I never use them in parallel. Probably the cause of the problem is connected with the fact that the user was logged on several devices but then it is a problem of Spotify managing these multiple devices.

It looks to me that this is a long lasting problem for Spotify users but no one cares. I see about 10 threads with this same issue, some old of 4 years or more. I saw other tons of threads of other long-lasting problems.

For this reason, I think I will never buy a premium account, but I will continue using the free version until I find something better.

Hey @m7tohlgpjymcykw,

Thanks for your post.

Sorry to hear that you're having this experience with the app.

Something else you can try is to clear the cache and completely reinstall Google Assistant. Corrupted cache in Google Assistant can sometimes cause connectivity issues with certain speakers and car modules.

Also, try restarting your router or connecting to a different network. If you're using any signal repeater we'd recommend turning these off, as signal drops may also cause this error.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi,

Like I said above, none of these solve the issue (clearing cache, reset google assistant, ensure internet connection). Because of this, I believe it's a Spotify problem of handling the multiple and consecutive connections (from browser, then google assistant, etc.; not concurrently). Even if it worked by reinstalling google assistant (but it doesn't) it couldn't be considered a solution, just a workaround; you can't demolish and rebuild your house when you have a problem with your TV.

I would gladly support by providing required information or even collecting logs, if Spotify would want to dig into this and make it more robust. Also, if was a moderator, I would have forwarded this to the support department and ensure the solution gets posted on this forum.

For now I stand by my opinion stated before: I think Spotify doesn't care about customer voice.

Hi @m7tohlgpjymcykw

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

Could you le us know what device are you having the issue with? Sending us the exact make/model, operating system and Spotify version of your device would come in handy.

Also, we'd like to know if you get the same error of the playback stopping while using a different device/web player (not using the Google Assistant). 

Lastly, could you let us know if you've tried logging in with a different account, or have a friend log in with theirs to check whether the app behaves in the same manner?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi,

- The "google assistant" I use is a Google Home Mini

- I don't know how to tell the Spotify version that runs on the Google Home Mini, I simply connected the assistant to my spotify account through the google app, which is located on my phone (the app)

- My account is not used by anyone else, I never shared it and when the error in this post happened at some point, I used the Spotify feature "log off on all devices" (or something) and the problem persisted

- I usually "order" the google assistant to play music, then I open my browser and I can manage what's playing from there (I don't open the browser before that, in order to not interfere with this "error"); so my web browser shows that the music is playing on the "bedroom speaker" = which is a great feature, btw!

- I admit I didn't try with another account, but I will do that

- This error showed up only on the google assistant, I never encountered in the web browser and 90% of times I listen from the google assistant

- I don't use the Spotify dedicated app on PC, I uninstalled it at some point to minimize the number of "open devices" and it had some problems

- I do have the Spotify app installed in my Android phone, but I use it very rarely to control the google assistant with it (just like the browser)

- However the "music stopped" error doesn't seem related with using the Android app or even web browser app; when the error shows, sometimes I use the app, or the browser, sometimes not.

I must add that the error is random, that is: sometimes it works for days/weeks, for several hours every other day without any error, and sometimes the error shows. What seems to be clear is that when the error shows, it persists, so can't listen any music then, the error appears continuously. After some time (e.g. 1 hour? I didn't measure, depends on how much you insist) the error stops showing and the music plays again.

Edit:

- google home mini system firmware version 250118, cast firmware 1.54.250118

- as browser I usually use Chrome and it's being updated automatically, so I don't think it's relevant because I encounter this error from time to time in the last year since I started using spotify more frequently; currently I use Version 91.0.4472.77 (Official Build) (32-bit)

- the operating system for the PC where I run the browser is Windows 10 up-to-date

Hi @m7tohlgpjymcykw

Thanks for your reply and for the info you sent. 

Take your time to try with a different account, we'll be waiting for your reply. If the issue persists with a different account, we suggest that you factory reset your Google Home Mini following the steps here.  

Keep us posted on how it goes.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Ignore all the unhelpful canned responses you're getting from Spotify staff. Nothing they suggest will help but they sure like to make people repeat themselves.

Your issue is almost certainly due to you at one point connecting to someone's wifi & casting Spotify to their streaming device or someone connected to your wifi & cast to your streaming device. That 'offending device' , regardless if it's yours or one you connected to somewhere) hasn't 'let go' of the extra Spotify account (again, yours or theirs).

You can change your password every hour and flush the cache & delete cookies and all this other nonsense that the Spotify staff tell you to do (because they're untrained in how to properly help you) but nothing will work until the 'offending' device (whether yours or someone else's) unlinks the 'extra' Spotify account (again, whether it's your device or someone else's). 

Here's where things get worse. Unless you can unlink the account from the 'offending' device, this problem will never go away. Well, not in my experiences have I managed to fix it (for various friends & family) without finding the offending device. 

Hello all, i also have had this issue for some time and have posted to this blog and had a direct chat with spotify support. They seem to (pretend?) they don't understand the issue? suggestions like reset your password?  (i did try) etc. My "Sorry-the-music-stopped.. " occurs when I start my car in the attached garage, the stream automatically goes to my car (just a prompt " Are you sure you want to switch devices" would be an acceptable solution.) I think the problem is rooted in Bluetooth's unsophisticated pairing algorithm. Let me know if anyone has had any success.

Suggested posts