Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

"You are offline..." like forever and ever!

Solved!

"You are offline..." like forever and ever!

Hi.

I have paid Premium so I could listen to music in the phone and can I? NO!!!

Since I paid the Premium (3 days ago) the phone never gets "online" so it doesn't "know" I'm Premium!

It´s crazy! Is it someone who have had the same problem and have worked it out?

Sincerely,

//Frida

71 Replies

@rasmantuta wrote:

@Sam wrote:
Hmm sorry, I've been trying to replicate it in the office and got a little over-excited and posted hastily. I haven't sorted it. Sorry if I raised any hopes.

It shouldn't be hard to replicate. You need the following:

1. An Android tablet without 3G. I.e. Asus Transformer or Transformer Primer or Samsung Galaxy Tab
  2. A Spotify account with one or more playlists
  3. make one or more playlists available offline
  4. Exit Spotify and open Spotify once more.

Spotify should now not be able to connect and stay online.

This goes for both the version of Spotify from Google Play and the ICS Beta.

To see how many users actually strugling with this problem, search the forum for the term IMEI.

Do Spotify at all plan to solve this one year old problem?

Smiley Frustrated

This is what they should do:

try {
  final TelephonyManager telephonyManager = (TelephonyManager) getBaseContext().getSystemService(Context.TELEPHONY_SERVICE);
  imei = telephonyManager.getDeviceId(); 
  if( imei == null ) imei="0";
} catch(Exception e) {
  imei = "0";
}
try {
  deviceid = Settings.Secure.getString(getContentResolver(), Settings.Secure.ANDROID_ID);
  if( deviceid == null ) deviceid = "0";
} catch(Exception e) {
  deviceid = "0";
}

To explain further; The IMEI-check spotify does doesn't seem to check if the value is null. So hashing the data with the null value will generate a NullPointerException, which explains the odd behaviour. By simply setting the IMEI to 0 in case of a null, this problem would go away.

Marked as solution

right hnilsen thats the problem. I decompiled the beta apk to search for an solution.

I'm not sure, but i think the problem can be solved by fixing the second function.

package com.spotify.mobile.android.util;
public final String a(){
String str = Settings.Secure.getString(this.a.getContentResolver(), "android_id");
if (str == null)
str = "0";
return str;
}

public final String b(){
return ((TelephonyManager)this.a.getSystemService("phone")).getDeviceId();
}

Can't test anything, because i canceled my premium subscription.

Nice to know: They are actually working with Fragments, so a tablet layout might be possible *hope*

Marked as solution

Brilliant, there it is. If you have recompiled with the proper exception handling, I'd be very interesting in testing it. I can't believe the Spotify team is so slow at fixing this.
Marked as solution

HELLUP...

After all the problems and spotify not working on a new Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 I decided to take the 7.7 with 3g so it must work now....

Problems again.......it crashes all the time after a crash I can not start it up again.

WHY?????  is there no solution...please help. 

Marked as solution

@plsderksen wrote:

HELLUP...

After all the problems and spotify not working on a new Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 I decided to take the 7.7 with 3g so it must work now....

Problems again.......it crashes all the time after a crash I can not start it up again.

WHY?????  is there no solution...please help. 

Are you running the app version from the Play store? If so get the preview release from there and use this instead: http://www.spotify.com/download/previews/

----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

I treid that one. But now the new version is working (ugly version).

But I do not know if the files are moved to SD. I think not.

Marked as solution

The beta doesn't give you the option to control the location that files are saved to, but if you have installed it over the Play store version then it will use the same setting as you had in that.

If you uninstall the app and reinstall the version from Play, then get that location right (enter it at the login screen) and confirmed before updating to the preview release you should be OK.
----------------
Marked as solution

Hi,

i did that yesterday and again it crashed zo that is why I uninstalled it. I will try it this afternoon again.

I hope it will work now finally.

Only the new version is sooooo ugly....and not usefull with 2 row with download and not. I hope they will change this.

Marked as solution

I guess the last posts are a bit "off topic", and have nothing to do with the offline error that is discussed here!
Marked as solution

A possible work-around for those who have rooted devices: I have used the instructions at

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?s=426f9ce24e34a1aaad621a53fde99601&t=1004102

to "fake" an EMEI number for my rooted Nook Color running a Cyanogen(mod) 9 nightly ROM. After apply these modifications, Spotify works like a charm (though it forces you to re-sync all your music). The link is specific to Cyanogen(mod) on the Nook, but I suspect they can be generalized for other devices.

One word of warning: Do not do this if you've got a device with a cellular modem (like a phone)! It will almost certainly screw up your ability to access the cellular network!

Hope someone finds this helpful while we're all waiting on Spotify for a real fix.

So the next question... how to root a Transformer T201? (I tried a while ago, without success)

Dude, download the official asus unlocker tool from the asus support page.

Can we please stay on topic? A solution has been presented, we need to get the spotify team to implement it.

The only solution that has been presented to me is to root my device, and I was on topic as I was trying to implement this solution. Dude.

rooting your device is only possible, with a custom rom. Not with version .21 Go to xda-developers to get the tutorial there. This is offtopic here. we try to help the developers fixing this problem. if it works you don't need too root your prime.

Apologies geezer, I was under the impression that this was a forum for helping Spotify users solve problems with Spotify. I did not realise it is exclusively for teaching Spotify developers how to develop for Android. My mistake.

I would suggest that spending several posts discussing what is and is not off topic is way more off topic than two posts which specifically enable me and other TF201 users to work around the problem in the here and now, particularly given Spotify's past record with respect to addressing this problem.

yea loosing warranty for a 400$ device is a very good work around. Especially for users which don't know this aspect or any risks. But if this is the way spotify helps users instead of fixing their crappy android app... here the link to ALL Tutorials for rooting and custom roms. http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1414

Should we really consider stopping our subscriptions? Apparently Spotify team doesn't care about our problem. I haven't seen much answers from moderators and we don't even know if they are working on it. A solution has been proposed and now it's up to them to implement it. Maybe multiple complains will help them to consider the problem. How can we be heard?

The only real way is by downgrading your subscription - especially if you are not getting what you are paying for. Hopefully when you cancel Premium they collect your reason - if enough people cancel for the same reason they have to do something about it
----------------

I've downloaded the new app from Google Play, and to me this seems fixed. Can anyone else report on this?

Note: To test this - remove the data from your Spotify-app, uninstall it and reinstall from Google Play

Thanks for the tip, I will give it a try. Looks like the preview release with no support for landscape mode, but that would be a smaller problem. I would be happy if I can use the app properly. Note that the preview release that was on spotify.com did not work properly either. So I have upgraded from ver 0.4.12.180 to 0.5.0.1247.g94a8231b. And now it's time for a test-drive.

Suggested posts