Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

spotify stops after certain local files / ALL Platforms

spotify stops after certain local files / ALL Platforms

I found that on all my  devices (laptop, android or ipod)  that spotify stops after the playback of certain local files .   always on  the same files ,

These Files have all one thing in common .  the length info for that track seems sort of mixed up in any form.  

The length shown in spotify didn't match the length in the mp3 tag AND/OR the actual length in the mp3 tag even didin't match the actual time length of the song .    On some Songs I could fix it using MP3Diags . changing the length info in the mp3 file .

But still for some tracks, I couldn't . The Problem seems to have different issues.   But the  root of the problem seems to be the interpretation of the track length in Spotify .

But nevertheless      ALL .... I mean  ALLLLLL  other Media Players  ( MediaPlayer / VLC Player / itunes /  on PC or mobile decive )  are cabable of playing these exact  tracks with no problem at all !!!!!!!

In Crossfade Mode or not .  Does'nt matter .    I mean, these are my old itunes Tracks, that I had in my Playlists  on my Ipod / Laptop / mobile Android device all the last years with no problems at all )      I find it a very poor performance for a 10 EUR / month  service .

The purpose of a playlist is, that you have CONTINUOUSLY Music Playback !!!!!!!!!!!   isn't it   ????

4 Replies

I'm not experiencing this on all platforms like you are, but it's definitely happening on my Galaxy S4 phone. I've been trying some different things to determine the cause of this bug on my phone, and it seems local files are definitely the culprit. I didn't think bad metadata was to blame, but I just tested some of the problem files on my desktop and noticed on the problem tracks, the now playing bar shows them as being one second longer than their listed times in the playlist.

dinomightSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Are these local files also available on Spotify? 

Sorry, just saw your response Joe. In my case, the problem tracks seemed to be ones that were linked to Spotify's catalog but the actual album isn't there, so it replaces them with the equivalent. Strangely, at the moment, they seem to be working normally again; making it very hard to narrow it down completely. Hopefully, it's fixed for good, but we'll see.

dinomightSpotify Star

Okay, problem's not resolved. I found one particular track that seems to consistently cause this problem. When I unlinked the track the problem went away, but of course we shouldn't have to go through and unlink local tracks just to listen on mobile as that defeats one of the main reasons for having local tracks in Spotify in the first place, which is to be able to listen to our own music without having it count against download limits; besides the inconvenience of having to figure out which tracks stop, which don't, and then unlinking accordingly.

EDIT: This is definitely a timing issue. I've been able to repeat the problem with a certain track consistently, and on the computer the local file is 4:49, but on Android it's showing as 4:53. The problem happens whether I'm on online or using offline mode, as long as the playlist featuring the local track is downloaded. The only possible workaround is unlinking the tracks.

dinomightSpotify Star

Suggested posts