Premium

Country

Germany

Device

Moto G5

Operating System

Android 8.1.0

My Question or Issue:

I have very weird sudden stops of playback on Spotify Android. These happen only when I play on WiFi. At some point spotify starts playing the first 6-10 seconds of a song and them simply stops playing with no error message. Restart of the app does not solve the problem. 

The only thing to have some effect that I found was for me to manually delete all app data and cache. When I do that and restart the app then I can play about 5 - 15 songs (never actually counted) before the issue as above re-appears again. Clean re-install of the latest app version has not had any effect.

I do not have any issue playing downloaded songs and playing on mobile network also works just fine. Actually even when a song is stoppend and I then switch WiFi on my phone off, song playback starts instantly.

I have already excluded the spotify app from the power saving option, that did not solve it unfortunately.

Any ideas what else I could try?

20 Replies

Hey @pilsz1,

Thanks for reaching out and for trying out some troubleshooting on your own as well.

Please follow these steps in the following order:

1. Click on Remove All Devices here.
2. Do a clean reinstall as described here. Note: After reinstalling, you will have to download your music for offline listening again.

3. Restart the device. 

4. If the above steps don't help, try it on another device over Wi-Fi if possible and tell us what happens.

Let us know if this helped 🙂

PetyaModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Hi Petya,

thank you for getting back to me. I have once again performed the device disconnect and clean re-install as suggested and the issue still remains unchanged.

I have also today re-tested playing spotify on the same wifi via the web-player on a desktop PC and on my wife's Android device (Sony Xperia Z1, older Android version). None of the two devices have the above issue.

KR

Kai

Any chance you resolved the issue? I have a Galaxy S9+ with the same exact problem.
If I use 4g is fine but the reception inside my house is not very good.

Hello everyone,

I have a Samsung S10 and I'm encountering exactly the same issue. Spotify stops playing music after 10 sec. I have to turn off and on my Wifi to partially solve the issue. After two songs, the issue re-appears.
Any news from Spotify other than 'clean re-install' which obviously doesn't work at all.

Thanks for your help.

Samsung A70, same problem. Spotify stops playing randomly when on wifi. It's now barely usable. For a premium user it's unacceptable.

Wow. I was really losing my mind for 2 days. I thought there is something wrong with my setup. I gave all permissions to spotify, disabled all power saving settings. Also did clean install and i had to download thousands of songs again. Yeah really frustrating. I don't know what's the issue. Album covers loads fine but songs never starts to playing. If i toggle wifi it comes back to life. Honestly i think it's because of some router level setting. Other apps work fine though.

I just got myself an Android Lenovo p10 tablet running Android 9 on the sasame WiFi and now have the same issue here as well...

I have same prob. On iPhone. I don’t use low battery mode,and resetting stuff & disconnecting all devices doesn’t work. Works fine on data, but on wifi (at least home wifi...) it pauses unpredictably.

Turning off bluetooth fixes it, if you call that a fix.

Those solutions don’t work. Turning off bluetooth does, but counterproductive.

nevermind. took longer, but still crashed

hmm. maybe the crash was a fluke, because it’s been playing for a while now without crashing (bluetooth off)

I have same problem, with Wi-Fi stop play

I have tried it all .. nothing helps ... a network cable in my pc and it works fine or 4G on my samsung s10+ ... netflix and other streams fine on my wifi  ...

try that .. still same problem

Same mobile .. same problem .. network cable in my pc or 4G my mobile and I can hear music again ..

Hey folks,

Thanks for reaching out! We'll happily help you sort this one out 🙂

Just to make sure that we're on the same page - the best starting point with such connectivity issues is to perform a clean reinstall using the steps listed here. Make sure to also restart your device afterwards, this is a simple, but often overlooked step.

If that doesn't fix things, you should double check that battery optimization is off for Spotify and that the app has all necessary permissions:

•  Mobile Settings> Apps> Spotify> Permissions. Allow everything you see there.
  • Mobile settings> Apps> Spotify> Battery> Optimize battery usage> select top All (not optimized for apps)> Spotify> disable.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on your progress.

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Tried everything! Every app setting is correct. My husband doesnt have this issue (iphone) ive done everything samsung suggested. Everything else suggested but nothing. After the delete and reinstall it helped a little... by that i mean instead of stopping at 10 seconds it almost reaches 30 seconds lol. It just started like 2 weeks ago never had an issue before and no settings were changed

Hey @Alynguyen

Thanks for reaching out about this.

Would you mind letting us know your device's make, model, exact OS version and Spotify version?

Also, does it happen with a different connection?

Keep us posted. We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts