Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

The other duo member takes it over?

The other duo member takes it over?

• My problem is when i am listining to Spotify and my girlfriend puts her Spotify(duo account)on she takes over the music. How can i chance that?
7 Replies

Hey @Tomd01,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. We moved your post from Chats to the help boards as its content fits better here.

Premium Duo is a discount plan for 2 people who live together. Each person on the plan gets their own Premium account, so no one shares a password and everyone keeps their own saved music and playlists.

If your girlfriend takes over when opening the app, most likely both of you are using the same account. If you have already made the invite process, she just needs to log out from the current account and log back in, but using her own credentials.

In case you haven't completed the invite process yet, we'd recommend checking this article to invite the other user and take advantage of all the features that Premium Duo offers.

Hope this helps. If you have any additional questions, don't hesitate to ask.

OscarDCModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I too have had this problem with Duo since it was introduced un announced mid 2022. We've duly followed the instructions above (ie removed the partner then re enlist her on a different device (cellphone) and with different email address. It worked, ONCE. (ie we were able to play different playlists on separate devices at the same time)

BUT THEN ! - when we tried again it reverted back to one taking over the other's playlist.

I'm at the end of my patience with Spotify. I've spent many hours trying different solutions & suggestions.

Duo has no point unless we can play our own music in different rooms (or car) at the same time. Just like we could prior to July. I'm not prepared to pay twice for this service.

Can someone from Spotify please advise !

Hans - New Zealand.

**bleep**

Hey there @HansVan,

Thanks for reaching out about this and welcome to the Community.

Based on what you're describing it sounds like you're using only one account. Just to confirm, is this happening when you're streaming directly on your devices (phones, PCs) or when you're listening to music on external devices (such as speakers)?

In any case, we suggest you log out everywhere with the steps you'll find here and then log back in each in your own account. 

Let us know how it goes.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Yes, we are using the one account. Isn't that the point of Duo and the extra cost ?

We are each using our cellphones - blue toothed to portable speakers or cars.

Are you telling us that we need separate accounts (at double the cost) to be able to play separate playlists simultaneously as we did previously ?

HansVan

Hi there @HansVan,

Thanks for the post.

I thought I'd jump in here to clarify what's happening.

The way the Duo plan works is that the Duo Manager is the only one paying for the subscription, and the Duo member enjoys Spotify Premium features on their own account. 

So, in the Duo plan there are two separate Premium accounts. You can have a read here on how to send an invitation to you friend/ family member in order for them to join the plan on their own account.

Once that's set up you can enjoy playing two streams of music on your separate devices.

We're here if you have more questions.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thanks,

We've sorted it now. I logged out of my "manager"" account then logged back in. we also discovered that my partner inadvertently had 2 Spotify accounts (one a free one). This is where the confusion arose. 

Thanks again.

we have Spotify family but we canno't listen at the same moment the music on two or more phone/ipad.

Suggested posts