About the Tech Crunch article and Spotify browser based version

Solved!

About the Tech Crunch article and Spotify browser based version

playlistpro
Roadie

Love the sound of it.  Especially the part where it says

"Discovery will also be rewired, I’ve learned. You can currently subscribe to non-friends’ playlists, but there’s no good way to find who you should be trusting for recommendations. People like the idea, though, considering Spotify director Sean Parker’s Hipster International playlist has 514,000 subscribers. Spotify will likely offer some sort of suggested user list of who follow, and may try to recruit big name celebrities, musicians, and DJs to share playlists."

I have been preaching this on my website since before Spotify launched in the U.S., and am very glad to hear it finally coming to fruition. I want my name in the hat.  I have the background, knowledge, passion and more to be a part of this.  I could share invaluable insight on the matter. 

http://PlaylistProfessional.com/

Mike

-------------------------------------
The Stream Lab is a guide for streaming music festivals, concerts, clubs, and DJs. Watch as it happens live from around the globe, FREE! We also have a kick-ass Spotify profile!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

playlistpro
Roadie

Any chance a mod can point me in the right direction on this?  I have looked over the Spotify job board.  I have over 20 years as a DJ in multiple formats and settings, have also been a successful nightclub music director, party planner and much more.  I am not looking for a position as much as I am to consult with someone who is spearheading the operation.  It feels like an endless array of red tape to go through.  I suppose I could bombard every Spotify person I can find on Linkedin.  Community Help?

and here is the article in case you missed it...

http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/08/spotify-browser/

The Stream Lab is a guide for streaming music festivals, concerts, clubs, and DJs. Watch as it happens live from around the globe, FREE! We also have a kick-ass Spotify profile!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Solution!

playlistpro
Roadie

Any chance a mod can point me in the right direction on this?  I have looked over the Spotify job board.  I have over 20 years as a DJ in multiple formats and settings, have also been a successful nightclub music director, party planner and much more.  I am not looking for a position as much as I am to consult with someone who is spearheading the operation.  It feels like an endless array of red tape to go through.  I suppose I could bombard every Spotify person I can find on Linkedin.  Community Help?

and here is the article in case you missed it...

http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/08/spotify-browser/

View solution in original post

krikelin
Community Legend

I don't think it would be a paid job occupation purely for providing good playlists. The concept with suggested users is however already used today, Spotify has a vast collection of major partners, alongside with the new Apps system. 

What the guy points on, is a dedicated set of people that are trusted users for recommondations, and I wish them would have better opportunity to write on the blog. However I think Spotify would make a selection of special trusted users for that option, as a partnership system.

playlistpro
Roadie

Thank you for responding. 

"The concept with suggested users is however already used today, Spotify has a vast collection of major partners, alongside with the new Apps system."

Where are these suggested users and major partners?  Are you referring to magazine's and such that turn in playlists of their "best of" lists?  How do I find these major partners?  The apps system is promising to say the least, but still nearly impossible to find QUALITY playlists in regards to enjoyment and discovery.  They are all just plugging their own agenda.  Digster bills itself as professional, but any experienced DJ would best their playlists as they are mostly just obvious "best of" selections w/o much thought to originality, perhaps due to loyalty of their own label's interests.  Share My Playlists comes close but still suffers from mostly "best of" type playlists,.  It is difficult to find QUALITY mixes by genre, mood, or specific occasion curated by people who know what they are doing.   I understand that many listeners want easy access to what they already know, but better listening enjoyment comes in where new songs are introduced.  New songs that are chosen by qualified people who know,  love, and want to share them, while knowing how to program in such a way as to keep the listener engaged.   This is something an algrithm rarely gets consistently right.

I am thinking of the search function inside of Spotify.  When you enter a search term, and it gives you choices of "Top Hits", "Tracks", "Playlists", "Artists", etc.  9 times out of 10 the playlist selections are not of good quality, and could stand major improvement by featuring playlists from qualified persons.  How is it decided what playlists are featured there?  They need a qualified group to oversee what is featured.   Qualified playlist submitters just need a few guidelines to follow on how to optimize programming for enjoyment and discovery.  Those submitters can be compensated by promotion of their playlists, or a page of who they are and what their backgroud is, or free Spotify service, etc.  Too many thoughts to sit here and list all of them.  There are ways to combine and beat all the other services out there.  Playlists created by music loving professionals that are easy to find is one of them. 

I am not necessarily talking about "Tastemakers" like Rdio features.  This is where the app section should excel.  The apps can be full of cutting edge tastemakers, and "best of" lists that plug whatever app is being represented (i.e. Rolling Stone, Pitchfork or We Are Hunted).  The regular playlist search feature inside of Spotify should focus on the familiar arranged with the new in order to keep things fresh.  Furthermore, the playlists should be classified by age group which is something EVERYONE seems to be missing out on.  Alternatively, there could be a Professional Playlist app.  But I don't have the time to design it w/o any promise of compensation.  It could and should be a part of the regualar Spotify interface.  Finding people to make the playlists is a difficult task, but with Spotify's marketing power, they could make it much simpler.  Just place an add that they need quality professional playlists to feature, give a few guidelines, and have some personnel decide who is best to feature.

OK, done for now.  Off to heckle the Linkedin massive.  Thank you for reading, if you made it this far!  : ) Mike

SUGGESTED POSTS