Album purchase question

Album purchase question

Roxymusic100
Casual Listener

Hi, I'm a newbie. Could you please let me know how much it costs to purchase and download an album. Thanks very much.

9 Replies

Liam
Community Legend

@Roxymusic100 wrote:

Hi, I'm a newbie. Could you please let me know how much it costs to purchase and download an album. Thanks very much.

Hi, it depends on the amount of songs in it.

However, Spotify are phasing out downloads and you can no longer purchase new downloads.

As such, you cannot purchase songs/albums to download anymore - you can only stream them.

Roxymusic100
Casual Listener

Thanks very much. Does that mean it is free to download albums? sorry to be dull but as I say I'm new to Spotify.

Liam
Community Legend

@Roxymusic100 wrote:

Thanks very much. Does that mean it is free to download albums? sorry to be dull but as I say I'm new to Spotify.

You cannot download albums and/or tracks.

You can only stream them - you do not own them, and they are not located on your computer, but downloaded and played from the Spotify servers. If you have a paid subscription then you can save them for offline playing, and listen to an unlimited amount of tracks an unlimited amount of times.

Roxymusic100
Casual Listener

Thanks very much LiamW for your help - much appreciated.

Liam
Community Legend
Your welcome 🙂

Please consider accepting a solution!

colin99
Casual Listener

This is a disaster.  No legal music downloads. 

So having found a track I want, I can't download it to listen in the car or similar?  Go to another site and risk getting the wrong version (happens a lot, that).  And I certainly don't want that horrible great iTunes heap on my PCs.

I'm utterly cheesed off that Spotify have killed this off.  I might as well cancel the Spotify subscription.

Words fail me, really Spotify have shot themselves in the foot here.  Madness.

Colin

Liam
Community Legend

@colin99 wrote:

This is a disaster.  No legal music downloads. 

So having found a track I want, I can't download it to listen in the car or similar?  Go to another site and risk getting the wrong version (happens a lot, that).  And I certainly don't want that horrible great iTunes heap on my PCs.

I'm utterly cheesed off that Spotify have killed this off.  I might as well cancel the Spotify subscription.

Words fail me, really Spotify have shot themselves in the foot here.  Madness.

Colin

Spotify is a streaming service!

Also, you could get premium and listen to the track(s) using your smartphone or tablet.

colin99
Casual Listener

I'm not sure how a 'phone or tablet is going to help me to download a track and burn it to CD to keep in my cars etc.  Let's not go with any ideas of fumbling about on a 'phone whilst driving.

Does anyone know what thought process came to the idea that killing off legal downloads was a good move?

I'm now left trying to find an alternative to Spotify.  As soon as something workable is found, I'll cancel my Spotify subscription and will encourage relatives to do the same.

I'm feeling quite grumpy as a result of this.

Colin

fouimette

I also dont like that I have to always stream the music.  So here are the numbers:

Pay for spotify (annual): $$

Pay for data on mobile plan (monthly): $$$$

$$ + $$$$ = $$$$$

Too many dollar signs for me.  Now I have to use a service like Pandora in order to get music purchase functionality.  I liked spotify much more than Pandora.  Also, you are making it easier for me to use the Pandora button that is configured in my Honda Accord.  When will you have Spotify in the car like Pandora???

Why would you eliminate a revenue stream??  You cant tell me that you are afraid that everyone will buy all the music they ever wanted and then stop using the service.  That is just plain stupid.  I use Spotify for the 'Stations' which I cant get on my purchased music without the pains of creating playlists or other manual process.  Plus in the Spotify 'Stations' I get to hear newreleases which I may not already own or that I do not have a desire to ever own (I may not like it enough to purchase it).

IMO, Not a good choice Spotify.

SUGGESTED POSTS