Allow local renaming of incorrectly titled tracks

Solved!

Allow local renaming of incorrectly titled tracks

zithery
Regular

We all know tracks with the wrong titles is a problem. Sometimes entire albums are in the wrong order!

E.g.. Hawkwind – Live Chronicles

We also know it's difficult to fix because it's not really a problem with Spotify as such, it's an issue with the way the data was submitted by the record label. I went through a stage of submitting requests to Spotify to get these problems fixed and even tried contacting the record labels themselves but to date *none* of the affected albums have been corrected. Some of them have been screwy for years.

So how's this for a workaround?

Allow users to "rename" incorrectly titled tracks - but the information is held locally.

So any change wouldn't be visible to any other users, it only renames the track for yourself.

Fair enough this would create an anomaly whereby the searchable name would be different from the display name but that's a small price to pay to be able to see the correct track name. When you then browsed to an album you'd corrected or saw one of the renamed tracks in a playlist it would show the correct title.

It would be a fairly trivial task to accomplish programatically and the amount of local storage involved would be trivial. 

"rename track" would appear on the right-click context menu and, if renamed, an alternative name for that track would be stored in a local file. All renamed tracks would be kept in the same file. That means the renaming would be machine-specific rather than user specific but that's no different from the way local music files work.

What I like about this suggestion is it allows the problem to be "solved" by users themselves without having to get Spotify or the labels to do any work beyond putting the mechanism in place. The only problem I foresee is that it might confuse users but then maybe it could be disabled by default and enabled via preferences.. "Allow renaming of tracks" or whatever.

Personally, it drives me mad that so many tracks are incorrectly named. It's even more annoying if you actually have the track locally as Spotify treats it as if it's the wrong one!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

MikeyB
Community Legend

Hi there @zithery!

This sounds like an interesting idea! You should bring it over to the Spotify Ideas section and get some attention for it. This way, it will hopefully be brought to the attention of the right people, :).

Edit #1: 

Hyperlinked to the section for your convenience!

Spotify on!
Mikey

Spotify | Twitter

Did you like this post? Please add kudos below!
Did this post solve your issue? Accept it as a solution below!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Solution!

MikeyB
Community Legend

Hi there @zithery!

This sounds like an interesting idea! You should bring it over to the Spotify Ideas section and get some attention for it. This way, it will hopefully be brought to the attention of the right people, :).

Edit #1: 

Hyperlinked to the section for your convenience!

Spotify on!
Mikey

Spotify | Twitter

View solution in original post

zithery
Regular

MikeyB
Community Legend
Awesome! I wish you the best of luck with your brilliant idea, :).
Spotify on!
Mikey

Spotify | Twitter

SUGGESTED POSTS