Opinions on Chromebooks

Opinions on Chromebooks

Peter__
Community Legend

Hey guys 🙂 

Right now I am in a bit of a conundrum. My old Acer Netbook is on its last legs (it is my everyday device I carry), and I am looking for a replacement but its a tough call. I've been looking at the latest Samsung Chromebook 3 and I'm impressed, but another side of me is thinking I should just buy an android tablet.

My main issue is, as a long time BlackBerry and Laptop user, I really struggle to adjust to typing on touch screens, especially when I'm out and about and need to send a longish email or review/edit a document. Hence why I have been looking at the chromebook. 

So I really want to ask, does anyone have any experience with Chromebooks? What are they like? I'm not looking for anything expensive like the Pixel, just something cheap to carry around with me. Similarity, I'm up for persuasion if someone wants to make a good argument for a tablet (but be aware I don't really play games or anything like that). 

Thanks! I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Peter

Edit: I ordered a chromebook - still any comments are welcome! 🙂 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

2 Replies

smelico
Community Legend

lol well I *was* going to suggest a cheap laptop  (ultrabooks are getting cheaper buy still a bit pricey) with Linux on it as you can do more with that than a Chromebook, but you already decided. I haven't done the whole Chromebook thing as I figured it's going to be the same as living in a web browser, and despite doing many things in a web browser I sometimes want or need more than that.

There's also would have been the option of buying an Android tablet and picking up a USB or bluetooth keyboard for use as needed.

How are you liking the Chromebook? I don't think I could live in the restrictive world of a web browser. Have you gone into the shell to poke around assuming they still allow that?

Peter__
Community Legend

@smelico wrote:

lol well I *was* going to suggest a cheap laptop  (ultrabooks are getting cheaper buy still a bit pricey) with Linux on it as you can do more with that than a Chromebook, but you already decided. I haven't done the whole Chromebook thing as I figured it's going to be the same as living in a web browser, and despite doing many things in a web browser I sometimes want or need more than that.

There's also would have been the option of buying an Android tablet and picking up a USB or bluetooth keyboard for use as needed.

How are you liking the Chromebook? I don't think I could live in the restrictive world of a web browser. Have you gone into the shell to poke around assuming they still allow that?

No idea, I got one on the cheap from a friend (helps to know people haha!), so I am waiting for it to arrive! Will let you know 🙂 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

SUGGESTED POSTS