Perceived Emotions Or Felt Emotions, Which One Is Your Thing?

Perceived Emotions Or Felt Emotions, Which One Is Your Thing?

Jpgchief
Rock Star 14
Rock Star 14

Last weekend, I was reading this article called The Surprising Science Behind What Music Does To Our Brains  and it seemed pretty interesting. maybe it's nothing really new but you know it's always good to confirm what you have already believed.

And then Sunday afternoon while we're getting ready for lunch, we were also listening to some songs and here is the interesting part that I'm going to quote from the article:

"Something else that’s really interesting about how our emotions are affected by music is that there are two kind of emotions related to music: perceived emotions and felt emotions."

Remember I just read this article on Saturday night and while we're listening to these songs in order.

spotify:track:0aDoFKy3OZfSAmBwYcJtSg:small

spotify:track:250RLekaiL1q9qZer975Eg:small

spotify:track:03lTTlHnWecqYUwkwS0HHD:small

When my wife told me to "change that music", it was really making me feel sad (blue, blue, blue) and something clicked in my head. I love this kind of music, the kind that delivers sad things. I love to be able to feel the emotions while only listening to a song but not in real flesh and bone (you know what I mean) but in the other hand my wife finds it hard to do that and obviously it's not the first time that she asks me to change the music for the same reason.

If you have spare time or any interests for the article, it is good enough for us to have a nice talk with the people around us and find out what kind of person we are based on our musical preferences.

P.S. Thanks @rossi1911 for your help in this post, without it wouldn't bee "the same"

JpgchiefRock Star 14
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
4 Replies

Duhemsounds
Roadie

Music has some real impacts, for example you will often hear some epic musics in sport clubs / gyms, people doing musculation while listening some epic.
The music will intensifity the energy and the willingness to put max effort in improving your sport. 
Not everyone will feel it but people who are 'music sensitive' will feel that. 

Some people don't pay attention to music, they just say it's good or bad but they don't enter it, they don't focus, they don't ear it, they just ear noises that doesn't reflect inside of them. 

Music is a ton of different vibrations people will like or dislike.
Musicians and regular listeners will look for emotions, will try to listen each sound of a track, all the layers. 

Music is a way to please our brains with frequencies that vibrates inside of us, each one is receptive to different types. 

Movies or games or anything else, that's music that will determinate the power potential of pictures. 
A movie makes you cry not just because this little girl was innocent and her death is unfair, you cry because at the same time they've put some cello and strings playing in some sad scales.
For sad movies South Korean are quite good at making heartbreaking scenes by using greatly the music power. 

In thrillers/horror movies, music will determinate directly the level of tense and scaryness. 

Music is the bridge to reach the deepest emotions of everyone, it's almost a dimension, without music, without sound, life would be insipid 

Spotify artist doing video games music covers.
55+ covers available on Spotify

Jpgchief
Rock Star 14
Rock Star 14

@Duhemsounds "Music is the bridge to reach the deepest emotions of everyone, it's almost a dimension,...." 

L

O

V

E

I

T

!!!

Agreed with you 100 % we are part of the "regular listeners will look for emotions" for sure!!!

Thanks for share with us your thoughts!!!

JpgchiefRock Star 14
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

coalminecanary
Roadie

hey interesting topic.

well i remember learning before but i dont remember where exactly that you can see how brainwaves change in people depending on what kind of music they are listening to. fast rave music for example produces one kind of brain wave, and soft classical music produces another. i am sure different combinations of chemicals are produces with these different brainwaves and since thats all emotions are, chemicals in the brain, we feel different things as we listen to a variety of sounds. i suppose lyrics work the same way but there is probably even more of an added element of personal psychology. certain lyrics might have more of an impact on you based on your life experiences. 

your sadness could be a combination of personal experience being reflected in song, and your brainwave patterns and chemicals being released. there are usually endorphins involved as well so this could be why you have a sense of love for feeling. it activates the pleasure centres in the brain. but i agree. being made to feel something, including sadness, sometimes especially sadness can be beautiful and transcendent. not to mention cathartic. continue feeling the feels, its what makes humans so great. 

Duhemsounds
Roadie

Hello

I've listened the 3 tracks, here's my report about them

1st one : a feeling of a nice track, until it reaches 5.17 and particularly the sound starting at 5.20 where I suddenly feel some aggression of my inner brain waves. There something in those layers of guitar sounds that is irritating.
2nd one : don't know if it's still the effects of the irritation from the first one, but some of the harmonies are a big hurting my waves. No specific emotions / feeling goten from this one.
3rd one : this one is soft and helped a little to relax my brain after the bad waves of first song.

Those are interesting musics, I didn't got specific emotions from them, they probably don't catch my most sensitive frequencies

Spotify artist doing video games music covers.
55+ covers available on Spotify
SUGGESTED POSTS