Permanent Earworm Damage

Permanent Earworm Damage

brian_mansfield
Community Legend

Eel in the ear 01.jpg

I have a friend who uses the term "permanent earworm damage" to describe the phenomenon of that song that pops into your head, unbidden and often unwelcome, even though you haven't actually listened to it in years.

That happens to me all the time, and as soon as I thought about "permanent earworm damage," this song started playing on repeat and hasn't left yet!
spotify:track:6WvbMOjKf5y3CAHn4ubwlp:small

What's that song for you, the one you wake up with in the morning and just can't get out of your mind? Post it here, and inflict your earworm on the rest of the Community!

10 Replies

rossi1911
Community Legend

kc202

XO TOUR LLIF3 is an earworm

heartscore
Community Legend

I had a longer discussion years ago with an english native speaker about the word "earworm". I used it as a direct translation from german (I am german myself), but the opposite side could not understand the meaning. When I had explained the meaning as a "catchy tune, that you can not get off your head" he explained, that the word is not common in the UK. Meanwhile I have read, that the word exists just since a few years in UK and is used by more and more speakers.

Not sure, if you can use it in USA, but it seems it becomes known in all english speaking countries now.

johnnygr4ves
Roadie

I have absolutely no idea what these German artists are saying, but they bring mad 90s vibes with "Bist Du Down?", and I can't get enough of it! 
spotify:album:6aUQHXfGyWpOm8Q9rQFG5B

brian_mansfield
Community Legend

I woke up this morning with these two songs playing in my head. One I heard randomly over the weekend for the first time in years. The other I love, but I haven't heard it in a while, so I have no idea why I found myself singing it in the shower.
I suppose you could find two more different songs, but having them both in my head at the same time made for a very strange morning. I can't for the life of me figure out why they showed up together.
spotify:track:4XAL0fJ5TjsPiUHgS0aGeB:small

spotify:track:6qsRKJJHLGSCPsdt2jEs2t:small

julesph11
Casual Listener

September by Earth, Wind & Fire

brian_mansfield
Community Legend

@julesph11 - Oh, yeah, "September." Once that song gets in your head, it's going to be stuck there a while.

Not that there's anything wrong with that ... 

heartscore
Community Legend

Many of ABBA's Greatest Hits stuck in my head longer than expected. This is one of my favorites with a Chorus-melody, which I like to sing when I ride bicycle, walk through the park or while showering

spotify:track:5qPybcZeUJi1omIaWJ8En0

rosetyler0301

I sing yummy yummy yummy all the time despite not actually having heard the entire song, that's so crazy! Right now I'll wake up with https://open.spotify.com/track/0KKkJNfGyhkQ5aFogxQAPU

in my head every morning. 

Rustedmelody
Roadie
https://open.spotify.com/track/4to2t1Ruuz1OlbvR0Dg6YL

Rising Appalachia - Medicine
Follow me
SUGGESTED POSTS