Question about local files.

Question about local files.

marges
Regular

How do I get the music I've download for free into my local files??? Do I need a premium account?? I have downloaded a bunch of music and I want to be able to sync them onto a Ipod.

14 Replies

Josh
Community Legend

Hello!

Go to "Preferences" in the desktop Spotify app, and go down to local files and click add source, and go to the folder you stored all of your music in. Here is a screenshot:

Screen Shot 2013-11-10 at 9.33.19 PM.png

P.S. I am hoping you downloaded your music legally 🙂

Hope this helped 🙂

Don't forget to add your Kudos and mark as a solution if it helped you!

Follow me on Twitter

Whats a Spotify Rock Star?

Josh
Community Legend

You do not need a Premium account to use local files on your iPod, you just sync them like you would sync them in iTunes. Here is an article on how to sync to an iPod. 

Hope this helped 🙂

Follow me on Twitter

Joe
Community Legend

If you are using an ipod touch, use the instructions for synching iphones instead.

marges
Regular

Thank you Josh but I'm still a littlle confused. The music I have downloaded are in playlists with different names for them. What source is that??? The music also is in the Spotify library. And yes, they are downloaded legally. I got all of the music thru Spotify. Sorry I am a dork when when it comes to this type of stuff. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Josh
Community Legend

Hello again!

Hmmm...do you mean they are added into playlists by themselves or you added them to the playlists? They should be in "Local Files" but you can also add them to your playlists with streamed songs, to play them on your mobile phone you would need to connect it to the same Wifi and sync them. 

Hope this helped 🙂

Follow me on Twitter

marges
Regular

So, There is nothing in the local files. When I first started I clicked on new playlist then gave it a name. (ex: heavy rock) I then found the song I wanted clicked play then dragged it to that playlist. Now when I click on local files it says something about preferences or that I can drag the songs to the local file. It won't let me. When I click on library all the songs I have are listed there in alphabetical order. II've looked around on my computer and I can't find where all these songs would be. The only place where I can see them is in the actual Spotify app that I open from my desktop when I turn on my computer. So I don't understand what source I need to add if I can't find the music anywhere else on my laptop. I so appreciate your help. Just want to make sure I can get all this straight before I go and treat myself to a new toy. And I really don't want to have to go to Itunes and reload and buy 500 songs. Thanks again. Hope some of this made sense. 🙂

Josh
Community Legend

Oh it doesn't sound like you are using any local files, when you use Spotify you are streaming files (no local files are used, unless you buy them and import them), if you search the Spotify catalog and add it to a playlist, it is only available in the Spotify client and the Spotify mobile app(for premium members), there is no way to use it outside of Spotify, but you can download them to "Offline Mode" but you would still need Spotify to play them. Does this make sense? 🙂

Hope this helped 🙂

Follow me on Twitter

Josh
Community Legend

Here is a good post on songs streamed with Spotify 🙂 if this helps a little.

Oh, and sorry for the late reply. 

Hope this helped 🙂

Follow me on Twitter

marges
Regular

So if I activate offline mode do I have to download the music onto an ipod or do I just put the app on the ipod and just access from there??? Sorry to be such a pain but you really are being so helpful!!!

Josh
Community Legend

Hello!

Your not being a pain 🙂 It is downloaded (or for Spotify Cached) onto your iPhone and can only be accessed through the Spotify app, but with Offline mode, you can use it for 30 days (then you have to reconnect, so they can check your subscription, and if you are still a current premium member you can keep everything) without internet connection (plane, cars, etc). Here is a great guide on Offline mode. 

I hope this helps clear some of the confusion 🙂

Hope this helped 🙂

Follow me on Twitter

Josh
Community Legend

But yes, you have to download all the songs you want in offline mode first, before you can play them offline. You can do that in the Spotify app on your phone. 

Hope this helped 🙂

Follow me on Twitter

marges
Regular

So I went in and clicked on my playlist and then clicked on active offline. It then said it was syncing the playlist. ??? If I get an Ipod touch and download the Spotify app wil I be able to access my music when I open the app??? Or do I have to sync the ipod to the app on my laptop??? Thanx again Josh....:)

Josh
Community Legend

Yes, when it says its syncing it is saving music for offline mode 🙂 You will be able to access all of your playlists from every device (and stream music), but if you want to listen offline you need to sync each one. 

Hope this helped 🙂

Follow me on Twitter

Josh
Community Legend

You could sync music with the app on your phone/tablet alone, or you can sync with your laptop. For the the laptop, you can use this guide.

Hope this helped 🙂

Follow me on Twitter

SUGGESTED POSTS