R. Kelly

R. Kelly

Amberlee573
Casual Listener

Why is Spotify still supporting R. Kelly's music? Times Up.

4 Replies

ericaelayne
Casual Listener

Yes.  I completely agree.  Reports on NPR of R. Kelly are terrible.  I don't want to pay for subscription music that makes music from a man like this available.  

mariaphoenix

I must be daft. How is this not censoring? I understand that this music site, as a company does not need to promote certain artists who they feel might represent them in an unfavorable political or social light. But then why is Charles Mansons' music on here? Or Chris Brown? Or James Brown for that matter? When does it stop? It's not important that I am a woman. What is important is that we are not erasing the past and forgetting about it but that we have these artistic reminders that just because you like the way someone looks or sounds, it doesn't make them a good person. It is a valuable lesson we are washing over if we just erase it. Boycott is fine we should protest, but where is the line? Why is no one asking this? Perhaps I am not as sensitive as I should be and something is wrong with me. 

Amberlee573
Casual Listener

This is less about R. Kelly's behavior, and more about Spotify's right to stop promoting artists who do not align with their values. He's been accused of sexually exploiting underage girls. They haven't stopped listeners from finding his music - but they're not promoting it either. I hope this is just the beginning of the music industry's purging of people who are accused of sexual assault and domestic violence. It's easy to forget who you are supporting when you really like someone's music, but if I were to shun people who do those things that I would meet on the street, then I need to be able to hold musicians accountable for their actions as well. If it were my son or daughter, I hope others like yourself would stand with me. 

Krystoking
Casual Listener

SPOTIFY'S JOB ISN'T TO MAKE SOCIAL STATEMENTS.

Allegations and Criminality are two seperate things and should be regarded as such.  The fact they removed his music (which has nothing to do with personal ALLEGATIONS against the artist) is reason enough to consider leaving the service, let alone removing and censoring the music all together.

Shame on you and your crusade on art. 

SUGGESTED POSTS