Reason for removing post from forum

Reason for removing post from forum

mircea
Regular

Some feedback for the Spottily and the community moderators.

Don't you think it's appropriate to provide feedback when you delete posts that community members make?

I made a helpful suggestion on the topic  Control Spotify from another computer (remote) that waas apparently removed. The Email I got was:

There was a new Reply.

Subject:   Re: Control Spotify from another computer (remote)
Author: David (Moderator)
Date: 21-10-2012 01:40 PM

View

That "View" link takes me to a page that basically says the post cannot be found.

No way to contact the moderator, and no way to see why the message was removed. Nothing. 

If I take the time to contribute to your community, don't you think it's appropiate to treat your members respectfully?

My 2 cents.

9 Replies

David
Spotify Legend

A report was placed in about the post, and went against a point in Section 6 of the Community Terms of Use

Airhorn Enthusiast

mircea
Regular

I'm sorry. That's just insulting to rate my comment as spam. 

I quote the author of the post asking the question: "I am looking for a Mac app that can control a spotify instance on another Mac."

My post suggested such an application, and I tried to provide all the details, how it handles remote computers, and actually mentioned that it was a paid app and the price, so if the author is not looking for a paid app, it can just skip the suggestion.  I'm not link baiting and not looking for page views.

If you take the time to read all the replies, they pretty much all suggest applications. Because that's what the author was asking for. Also, if you look at the replies, you'll see the author mention " seems there is nothing quite like I need out there. I will keep looking...". That's why I posted it, because my app does exactly what the author is looking for, and I though it would be helpful.

Again, I really take offense in suggesting I was spamming the forum.

Peter__
Community Legend

I don't think anyone is suggesting you where spamming the forum. 

If you read the terms and conditions, under section 6 there is:

"links or references to commercial products or services;"

As I am guessing you linked to a paid application, this is in breach of that rule. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

mircea
Regular

Peter, I understand what you're saying. Have a look at that Topic. The user asked for an application to accomplish a specific goal.

Read the replies the user got. They all reference commercial applications, because that's what the user asked for.

I understand why that rule is in effect. So that you don't advertise in these forums (spamming people to buy your products.)  basically so that you don't abuse the forums. Makes sense. My post was not doing that.

I was being just as helpful as those other people who replied.

What happened in my case was that David (the community moderator made a mistake). Understandable. I've got no problem with that. The only thing is that he appears to be so uptight, and doesn't want to admit he made a mistake, so he hides behind rules that are there to prevent a totally different behavior.

I was being helpful. That's what a community is supposed to be.

Oh, and if this reasoning is not sound, why don't the other replies to the topic fall under the same rule? You know why they're still there? Because that rule doesn't really apply in this case. Those replies help users use the Spotify service, which I guess is in the interest of Spotify.

Peter__
Community Legend

Some of the other posts link to free software, which I don't think would really count as commercial. 

The link that goes to the app store clearly falls under the same conditions as yours. 

I will try and talk to David about this, get some feedback. 

Peter

Peter

Liam
Community Legend
I agree though - you should be sent an email or PM if your post is deleted.

mircea
Regular

hammeh, commercial software is not necessarily software that is paid. Commercial software is also software that can serve commercial purposes.

But honest truth. When you read that topic, do you think those comments there abuse the forums? Don't those comments provide value to the Spotify community. If you were looking for a way to control Spotify on remote machines, and you were to ask in these forums. Wouldn't you like those replies? Wouldn't it be a good place to find the answers you were looking for here? With people talking about what apps are available and if they are any good? I think that is very valuable. I would want that on community boards. If you were to ask people at Spotify, I bet they wouldn't object to such content being in the forums. 

Peter__
Community Legend

In my head, commercial software is any software that is made to be sold to the general public. 

I can appreciate what you are saying, but I do think that the rules are there for a reason, it seems wrong to allow people to advertise their own or other peoples paid for software on a community forum. There also used to be a page on the Spotify website with official links to software on it, but it appears to have dissappeared! 

I have sent David a message asking him for some clarification on the rules on this topic, so hopefully he can shed some light on all of this. 

Peter

Peter

David
Spotify Legend

The post was reported to us as a breach of the Terms of Use. I was inclined to agree. We take abuse reports seriously and judge each and everyone on a case by case basis.

If we receive abuse reports on any other similar posts in the future, then we'll handle those posts in the appropriate manner.

Airhorn Enthusiast
SUGGESTED POSTS