Spotify Connect over the Internet

Spotify Connect over the Internet

bmjoshua

Hi there, 

Bit of a peculiar question here. I was just rudely interupted having a lovely bath with the other half to Spotify Connect playing on my Yamaha Y777 amp and then cranked to full volume nearly blowing my speakers!

I've traced it down to a friend of mine who lives on the other side of the country, somehow, being connected and able to control my amp. We played around with it for a while after he made Marvin Gaye's debut of Sexual Healing while i explain to my girlfriend what's gone on. He could control what was playing my end hundreds of miles away and i could skip tracks his end through my amp. 

Surely this is not supposed to happen?

I've made a trial account to overwrite his ability to connect to my amp now and the option has disapeared his end to be able to control the amp. When i think about it though, this has happened a few times before and ive just shrugged it off as a software anomaly...

Any thoughts from the community!?

12 Replies

Swiftfox
Casual Listener

We had the same thing, only it happened in the middle of the night, at full volume!

Surely this cannot be a desired 'feature'? Any insights, anyone?

ncar6464
Regular

Was your friend signed into your account? Or did he pair with your amp when he was over?

Swiftfox
Casual Listener

It was my son with his own account. He was somewhere else and wanted to connect to the amp of a friend and accidentally clicked our amp which apparently was still in the list. He didn't hear anything so turned up de volume but at our place the speakers nearly exploded.

Personally, I think it is undesirable and a possible security leak that it is possible to connect over the internet this way.

raydoo
Casual Listener

Yeah i also thought that this is an LAN only Feature any way to disable this ?!

PB29
Casual Listener
To add a different scenario to this. I found this feature by accident but have since found it very desirable and use it a lot for the situation where my phone is out of range of my LAN wifi but I am still able to control the music I hear from a Spotify Connect device that is either closer to the wifi than myself or on Ethernet. A good example is controlling my outdoor speakers from further down the garden where installing a wifi access point is less practical. I would be quite disappointed if this feature (not working via internet, limiting to LAN only) was removed. However I can understand that someone on a different Spotify account to yours whom may have just connected to your wifi once upon a time maybe more of a concern and as such the ability to maybe have control over which Spotify accounts can connect would be a useful additional feature.

shyveian

Hi,

Did you find a solution to this problem? I have the excact same problem with a Sony receiver. It should be possible to block people from controlling spotify from whereever disabling internet control. I want only local wifi access control.

PB29
Casual Listener
No im afraid not the issue still exists!

Sav1stlt

Can we try to keep this thread or this issue active?

It's clearly a bug, not a feature. Which they can't seem to get rid of.
In my eyes this is also a security issue.

There's no practical usage to this. Except from my friends messing with my speakers...

daftycom

I've experienced this a few times. My wife's spotify account is synced with my LG soundbar for Spotify Connect. However when she uses Spotify on a computer at her work place, the account is sometimes still linked to the soundbar at home. She automatically cranks the volume up full as she cannot hear anything on the laptop, meanwhile the neighbors must be getting blasted while we're both at work. Switching on the TV after work with the amp volume set to 100 is not a pleasant experience either.

I can see some ways in which this would be a useful feature, but we need some way of controlling it. 

I am going to play around with the settings on my router to see if I can block internet traffic for the soundbar, while allowing it to still communicate with other local devices. 

Knight0853

This seems to be a big problem!

I’ve experienced these issues too when trying to listen to Spotify via my phone on the train where it has defaulted to streaming the music at home.

In addition this morning I experienced the shock of my internet radio launching someone else’s music at full volume when a relative who had been visiting over Christmas tried to play something using their Spotify App at their house where it once again defaulted to playing remotely just as mine had on the train.

Until we work out what ports to block etc it seems the only way to stop this behaviour is for all of us to go into the settings in our Spotify account and turn on “Show Local Devices only” (Android) or Settings > Devices > for iOS. This will prevent us going this to anyone else. 

Then we must all tell everyone who we suspect has previously connected to your audio player, and while there it would also be wise for them to “Forget” your device in the Devices Menu for iOS or via “Connect to a device” on Android, (choose the (...) next to device and then choose “Forget Device”)

Spotify should really have the “Show Local Devices Only” enabled by default to protect our speakers!

IMG_5005.jpg

cameronjfoster

You can disable this from happening in the spotify app. Go into settings, then click on devices and then turn on the option labelled “show local devices only”. This should work, whether it is a bug or a feature. I enjoy it, I will log in to my partners spotify account who lives across the country from me and play music on her TV 🙂

Swiftfox
Casual Listener

Thanks for the tip! I've found the setting.

SUGGESTED POSTS