Spotify on Mac use discrete GPU

Spotify on Mac use discrete GPU

mrleblanc101

Hi,

Spotify version 1.0.49.125.g72ee7853 use the discrete GPU on my MacBook Pro (Radeon Pro 460) which kills it's battery life. If it's not fixed, i'll have to stop using Spotify.

img 2017-02-23 à 17.36.45.png
18 Replies

mclate
Casual Listener

Just noticed that after updating spotify to 1.0.75.483.g7ff4a0dc it also started using discrete graphics only (i'm having premium spotify account, so no banners)

mclate
Casual Listener

Was able to force use of integrated card by switching it to "integrated only" in gfxCardStatus and starting Spotify. By checking Activity Monitor i can see that integrated card remains in use even after spotify was started (worth mentioning, spotify started with no issues whatsoever)

itsmepokono
Regular

Same issue for me here. Spotify version 1.0.75.483.g7ff4a0dc.

logarythms
Casual Listener

Same here, also on 1.0.75.483.g7ff4a0dc

smykul

Same for me and same version. I use my Mac on battery power a lot and this is unacceptable/unusable. Using gfxcardstatus shouldn't be necessary and can cause system instabiltiy

jkesler

Same here. Just sent a message to support.
Spotify 1.0.75.483.g7ff4a0dc

Screen Shot 2018-03-05 at 11.28.06 AM.png

Stussi

Same problem here.. Spotify Premium, Version 1.0.75.483.g7ff4a0dc triggers the discrete graphics card on my 2016 MacBook Pro (Radeon 460).

This is a pretty annoying bug as it drains the battery.

killbom
Casual Listener

Same issue here on version: 1.0.75.483.g7ff4a0dc

Spotify uses way too much battery. Thought my battery was broken, but it was just spotify hogging the GPU 😞

Needs to be fixed, this is insane!

DV1X3R

Please fix this, spotify!

rationull

+1 this is a big deal for those of us using dual graphics MBPs!

Misuryu

I have this as well. Utilising the discrete graphics card shouldn't even be necessary for a light application like Spotify...

Rick_A

Same problem here, MacbookPro Retina 15. With Spotify open it forces my Mac into using my external gpu instead of the build in one. Draining battery life at an insane speed. 

Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 13.51.55.png

Syther101
Casual Listener

Yep also experiecing this issue. Brand new Macbook Pro 15 2017. Previous Macbook also had dedicated graphics (Late 2013). OS Was Sierra on the old machine. Now on High Sierra

Note for those expericing this issue. Running Spotify in the web player seems to be a ok work around in the meantime.

Folletto
Casual Listener

Same issue here: every time I open Spotify the discrete GPU (AMD Radeon Pro 460) gets enabled.

• Spotify 1.0.75.483.g7ff4a0dc
  • MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)
  • macOS 10.13.3

I've asked support via Twitter and first they suggested to try disable Hardware Acceleration (it's not an available setting in Advanced), then they checked my account (why?), then they told me to reinstall (why?). None solved it of course.

Folletto
Casual Listener

logarythms
Casual Listener

Seems to be fixed for me with the latest update (1.0.77.338.g758ebd78)

burner
Roadie

Dear all!

Version 1.0.80 is the version we all waited for!

Have a look in the Spotify menu in the macOS menu bar.

There you will now find the option to deactivate the hardware acceleration...

From now on, discrete GPU will not be triggered by Spotify on older Macs!

Cheers!

Hardware Acceleration.png

Syther101
Casual Listener

Fantastic news. Many thanks to the spotify team for sorting this and giving us the option!

SUGGESTED POSTS