Suck My Pop!

Suck My Pop!

Sanik007
Community Legend

I'm so tired about the unfair and automatic association of actual pop genre with the same artists line-up. A set of hand-picked singers strolling yearly from the MTV VMA to the Grammy, just gathering awards to exalt their great reception as the personification of Music Industry’s official toys.. Well, sorry, we can call them just celebrities. A business where the musical product quality doesn’t seem to be really important, giving preference to perfect smiles, statuesque bodies, grotesque and provocative attitudes and sometimes, fortunately, to great voices (not necessary attribute when you can use the magic AutoTune). Music projects with massive fan phenomena ready to clean all the merch out and more worried about the daily life of their celebrities rather than their music. Who wants to care about music when you have created the perfect product and you can sell anything successfully?

This situation means the existence of an important distance between traditional music lovers and the actual music trends and canons. These latter get the major part of the attention on the media, completely forgetting dozens of music genres by supporting only an small ‘high class’ percentage of music. A reality with different collateral damages, because nowadays pop music really exists. There’s more behind all of these famous singers that has been appropriated for this genre, among others. On this scene, we can highlight some of the bands/artist you’ll find in this new playlist; ‘Suck My Pop’.

12570836_10205776687883792_1851304254_n.jpg

SUCK MY POP

Spotify Profile

What's a Spotify Rock Star and how do I become one?

Follow me on Spotify and Twitter
2 Replies

Soundofus
Rock Star 20
Rock Star 20

@Sanik007

I agree with a big part of your long presentation. Where I disagree is about the meaning we give to "Pop" music 🙂

The Beatles were "Pop" but also famous, mainstream (at a time), never forgotten, but before all, they were inventive, creative, always digging new sounds,

Now, except a small numbers, the "unknown" you talk about are, for most of them, just "wannabe", copying what is trending. If you listen attentively, except a few, most of the girls in your playlist sound the same : acidulous voice, computerized beat, same synth chords, same song structure, meaning that when you play them in background, it's like you hear always the same song. I could say exactly the same for most of guys : electronic background, ethereal voices, same synth chords, same structure of song.

Hopefully, interesting Pop music still exists. I have to admit that it's mostly indie pop, soul pop, electro-pop (mixing electronic and real instruments), Folk-pop.

Here is examples of what I consider as interesting Pop :

There is a lot of bands/artist doing elaborated Pop. We heard about them, as for example BORNS, in specialized magazines of websites, but that doesn't mean they are "famous" or well known for common people who don't follow closely the music actuality.

Hopefully, there is still a lot to discover 🙂

SoundofusRock Star 20
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Sanik007
Community Legend

Hey @Soundofus! Thanks for your opinion, I completely agree with your explanation. Anyway, in that case I'm only talking about the current pop trends (not talking about The Beatles century). I'm not into pop music, in fact I don't usually listen pop music if I can avoid it, but this playlist it's totally ironic. You can find here more unknown pop songs that mainly are doing the same than the famous pop-stars, but they don't have the correct name or friends to be more known. It's not a playlist to find a different pop sound ( I have other playlist for it), it's a playlist to find different pop singers, understanding pop as the current trendy music we can see dominating all the charts. So, I'm sorry if I didn't clarify that point in the text, but this playlist and this post is completely critic about the current music pop and this is why I called it 'Suck My Pop'. Anyway, I agree with you, nowadays we can find great pop musicians, but they're different than the 'trash pop', with influences in other genres, like BORNS  who is not exactly pop music, it's more closer to electro-pop sound I think. 

Spotify Profile

What's a Spotify Rock Star and how do I become one?

Follow me on Spotify and Twitter
SUGGESTED POSTS