prevent others in my house from interrupting my music

prevent others in my house from interrupting my music

terprock
Casual Listener

I haven't found this answer to this question......  if I'm listening to a song - is there a way to prevent someone else in my house from playing their's?  I was in the middle of a song when it was suddently paused, because my son started using Spotify in his room.  Is there a way of notifying someone when they try to play  "the account is being used elsewhere - do you wish to continue?"

8 Replies

Peter__
Community Legend

No there isn't and there is probably a reason why. 

Spotify accounts are licensed for personal usage only, meaning everyone should really have their own account (hence why you can only have one stream at a time, since you can't be in two places at once). With that in mind, Spotify under licensing probably assume you are the only one using the account and therefore know it is already playing. 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

terprock
Casual Listener

I understand that it's a personal subscription, but to ask a household with 3 people to spend $30/month is kind of ridiculous especially if they are willing to work together in the same house.  When I change to a 2nd device a notification pops up on the 1st  saying "music paused - your account is in use somewhere else."   Seems simple to have that notification come up "before" you switch locations.  i.e. "you are switching devices - do you want to proceed?"

kbrooksc
Community Legend

that's actually a great idea @terprock ! I recommend checking out the ideas section to see what is already there.

If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution!
Twitter | LinkedIn | Instagram
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Peter__
Community Legend
It is an interesting idea, I can't see it being implemented though since Spotify aren't allowed to be seen as showing people that they can account share, which is in effect what such a message would do.

Peter

brendacj26
Music Fan

@terprock  there is now a discount program for multiplel users in the same family. Or if your other famiy members are using their PD/Laptop or phone to listen at home, they don't they get their own free accounts and then you will not have the conflict problem. If it really so aweful for them to listen to a few ads to solve your problem? Or as I said, ther is now a discount for multiple users in the same family. I'll try to find it and post it for you.

Brendacj26

brendacj26
Music Fan

@terpock  search Spotify ideas, and go to the list that is the top 30 ideas. There's one that says some family discounts. This is what you will find, but I just copied it any way in case it helps.

brendacj26

Discount Family Subscriptions! 

by djbyron on ‎15-02-2012 04:06 PM

Before I made the switch from Rdio to Spotify they (Rdio) came up with a pricing model that allowed families to purchase a slightly discounted subscription.  

$9.99 for single unlimited user

$17.99 for 2 family members (20% discount)

$22.99 for 3 family members (50% discount)

Would love to see a similar pricing model so the rest of the family could get in on the action!

Hello there,

The team is considering it and thinking now on how to make it work.

Thanks for being patient, and thanks to everyone who has voted this up and made this a very big requested Spotify idea. 

We are hearing you all loud and clear!

Update for US Customers: 

As you may have heard, Sprint Framily Plan members in the US can now get 6 months of Spotify free. 

After your free 6 months, Sprint Framily Plan members will then get a discount on Premium:

kbrooksc
Community Legend

@Peter__ , was talking about a family subscription plan, not the notification.

If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution!
Twitter | LinkedIn | Instagram
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Peter__
Community Legend
Ah that makes sense! My apologies! 😉

Peter

SUGGESTED POSTS