Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't control iPhone volume with Car Thing anymore...

Can't control iPhone volume with Car Thing anymore...

CarPlay won't adjust the volume on my phone when using the knob. When I turn the knob, the volume bar shows up and updates, but it doesn't change the volume on my phone. It works correctly when I adjust the volume with the phone buttons, and I can see the correct volume level on Car Thing.

Does anyone here have the same problem?

Device

iPhone 12 Mini

Operating System

iOS 16.1

10 Replies

Hey @aylk,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community.

This type of issue is commonly related to a pending update. Would you mind taking the Car Thing indoors and connecting it to a Wi-Fi network? This will force the syncing with the device and any pending update should start downloading.

If the issue persists, include in your next response the model and OS version of your iPhone, along with the Spotify version you're currently running. This will give us a better look at the issue.

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi, I brought the Car Thing indoors and connected it to WiFi but I still have the same problem. Not sure if the Car Thing updated though.

I'm using:
iPhone 12 mini
iOS 16.1.1 
Spotify 8.7.86.510
Car Thing OS 8.1.6

Thanks in advance.

Hey @aylk

Thanks for your reply. 

No worries, if the automatic updates are enabled in your phone’s app settings, the Car Thing will update automatically. Otherwise a message will appear on the Car Thing when an update is available.

On another note, we suggest that you try restarting the Car Thing by clicking the Settings button on the top-right > Restart > pressing the dial to select and confirm.

If the issue persists after following those steps, we'd recommend factory resetting the device to see if that makes the difference. 

Let us know how it goes. 

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Tried restarting and performing a factory reset. Unfortunately, I still can't control the volume from the Car Thing knob.

Hi there @aylk,

Thanks for the post.

In this case I'd recommend you reach out directly to our customer support team through one of the channels here. They should be able to offer further assistance.

Hope this helps.

AlexModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Same issue, across two different CarThing devices.

Hey @SpikySimonW,

Thanks for posting in the Community and welcome.

In this case, we'd like to gather some additional info. Just to confirm, are you having inconveniences with 2 Car Things or with CarPlay? It'd be awesome if you could clarify that to us so we can suggest adequate alternatives. 

On another note, would you mind sharing with us the make/model and OS of your device along with the Spotify version you have running? 

Lastly, it'd be really helpful if you could share with us any troubleshooting you've already tried so we can avoid repeating any steps.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator

• So another words you have no clue and are asking us to try various random fixes would you really have no idea if they will work or not including resetting my phone inconveniencing me and all my apps just to make Spotify happy and it probably won’t work anyway, so why don’t you just fix the software it’s not like you’re stupid you don’t know anything about programming.

Hi team!

I've been using Car Thing since its launch on a MacBook Pro to connect to my desktop Spotify app and listen to music. Recently I've moved to a Mac Studio M2 and it has randomly stopped allowing me to control the volume with the nob. It does work if playing through my phone (the nob controls the volume) but once I transfer it to the desktop app, it stops controlling the volume. It does change songs and controls everything except for the volume control. 

I was able to get it to work but had to reinstall both the phone app and the desktop app, fresh.

Suggested posts