Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Car Thing Screen is blank on startup

Car Thing Screen is blank on startup

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

Google Pixel 6 Pro

Operating System

Android

My Question or Issue

For most of the past few weeks, when I turn on my car, my Car Thing displays the Spotify logo, blinks once, displays the logo again, then sits at a blank screen. This blank screen persists until I unplug and reattach power, but my music is still playing without the Car Thing working correctly.

I've seen suggestions that this could be related to a pending update, but I've brought the device inside and allowed it to sit on the blank screen overnight, and the issue persists. I've also already tried a factory reset, with no luck.

Looking at the Car Thing settings, it says I'm on app version 0.40.5, and OS version 8.2.5, in case those help. This isn't preventing me from using the device, but it is tremendously annoying, so any help would be appreciated.

10 Replies

Same here. Pixel 6. App 0.40.5 and OS 8.2.5.

Pixel 6a same thing too. Started happening 2 weeks ago 

Hey there folks,

Thank you for reaching out here in the Community.

@ellistaylor appreciate you sending the steps you've tried to solve this. 

@Ethancpt & @LunarStrain  Could you let us know what you've already tried to fix this? That way we can avoid repeating any steps. 

In any case, we believe it's worth to take a look at this support article as there you can find some solutions. 

On another note, we'd suggest that you check if your mobile app is up to date. In case it's not - head here and see how to update it as this might fix it 🙂 

If the issue persist, we'd need the details of your mobile device (make, model, OS version) along with the Spotify version you're currently running. We can then relay the information to our tech team. Any screenshots you can provide will also be helpful to identify what's causing this behavior. 

Let us know how it goes. We'll be on the lookout for your replies.

LyubkaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

See my previous message for version information, the app is up to date. I have also tried factory resetting my car thing.

One thing to note is that it doesn't happen everytime I start my car, but it does happen most times. Just like the others, this started a few weeks ago.

Hey @Ethancpt

Thanks for your quick reply. 

Would you mind sending us a photo where we can see the issue happening? You can attach it to your next response by using the Insert image option in the post editor. Make sure not to send any private info.

We'll be on the lookout. 

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Oddly, mine does seem to have stopped having the issue, although I haven't taken any further steps beyond what I outlined in the initial post. Maybe the 8+ hours plugged in overnight, plus a few power cycles, was enough to resolve it, but I don't have any evidence either way.

Just adding in, I am facing the same issue with both of my car things (one in my car other on my desk). I am on the same App and OS versions (0.40.5, and 8.2.5 respectively) as the OP. I believe this started with the last update, it is happening frequently since then. It turns on, flashes the Spotify logo, then the logo disappears and we are left with the empty screen until we turn it on and off again.

I have had to add in a switch to the power supplies of each of my Car things so I can cycle the power easily without unplugging and replugging it back in, since this happens so frequently.

I just changed my phone from a OnePlus 7T Pro Mclaren to a Galaxy Z Flip4, and thus had to reinstall the Spotify app, and I reset the Car things for good measure, but the issue carried over. Since this is happening to both of my "fresh install" Car Things, I have to conclude it is an issue with them.

I will record each startup of each Car Thing until it happens again so I can provide a video of the behavior here.

The photo won't show anything. The screen is black and backlit. When the car is turned on it boots the firmware with the Spotify logo. Then runs a blank, black, backlit screen until you unplug it and plug it back in (power cycle). Then it boots again and works as it should. I'm also using the provided cable and power plug. Car has 13+ Vdc. 

Samsung s22 ultra

Android 13

App 0.40.5

Os 8.2.5

Model YX5H6679

Hey @MusicNote,

Thanks for your reply and welcome.

In this case, as mentioned by @Lyubka above, would you mind checking if perhaps there is a pending update on your mobile phone device? If yes, update the app and let us know if you see any difference. Don't forget to send us the exact Spotify version you're running there.

If the above doesn't do the trick, we'd suggest trying some of the suggestions you can find in this article. If possible, connect the Car Thing to WiFi indoors and let us know if you notice any difference in this behavior.

Lastly, you can also send us a video recording of what's happening on your side. You can attach the video in your next reply in mp4 format, or you can also upload it to YouTube or Google Drive and make it public so we can visualize it.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

I'm having the same issue on my Pixel 4a 5G. I get the Spotify logo at startup, then it boots to a black (but backlit) screen. This happens about 80% of the time.

I've reset my phone's network/Bluetooth settings, and factory reset the CarThing. Still happening quite often.

Spotify app version 0.40.5

CarThing version 8.2.5

Suggested posts