Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Car Thing and Mobile Data

Solved!

Car Thing and Mobile Data

Plan

Premium

Country

US

Device

Google Pixel

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

When connected to Car Thing, does Spotify use mobile data to play songs that are already downloaded to the device? In other words, if I am in an area with zero cell service or if I have turned off mobile data on my phone, can I play downloaded content through the Car Thing?

Thank you,

Chris

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @topherbecker 

I have some more information about Car Thing and offline mode / no mobile data here:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Car-Thing/Does-it-work-with-Offline-Playlists/m-p/5404182/highlight...

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Hi there @

Thank you for taking the time to reach out here in the Community. Let's shed some light to this question.

Car Thing uses the data to automatically download the next few songs, so you as a user can continue listening during short patches of poor internet connection. Car Thing uses mobile data also when it is playing offline songs, this is because the device has to use internet to recognize voice commands and show cover arts.

We hope that this cleared some things up for you. Let us know if we can help you with anything else 🙂

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂
Marked as solution

Hey @topherbecker 

I have some more information about Car Thing and offline mode / no mobile data here:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Car-Thing/Does-it-work-with-Offline-Playlists/m-p/5404182/highlight...

MattSudaSpotify Star
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts