Car thing - Volume issue

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra

My Question or Issue

I'm having an ongoing issue where once my car is on and everything is up and running, the volume skips around. I'll adjust it via the wheel on the device or directly from my phone and it'll jump either immediately to another number, or sometimes just to zero. The only way to rememdy this is to do a full restart every single time.
I have this issue over and over again -- Even if I turn my car off for a moment, and turn everything back on.

It's infuritating. This is NOT the product I paid almost $100 for. 

21 Replies

Hi there @danielcharles,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. We'd like to take a closer look at this..

Could you share with us the following:

• Did this occur, for example, after an update?
  • Video recording of the issue.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply 🙂

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I don't know about any updates. I've never been prompted to update, and don't know if CarThing has done this on its own... where can I find this information?

In the meantime, I'm attaching a video as requested. 

Hey again @danielcharles,

Thanks for keeping us updated!

We'd like to suggest the following steps:
(Kudos to @MattSuda for lending a hand here!)

1. A Factory Reset of the Car Thing: Click the Settings button > Find Restart in the list > Choose Factory Reset and press the dial to select.

2. Performing a clean reinstall of the app.

3. Connecting Spotify and the Car Thing again and letting Spotify play for a while
(The Car Thing downloads Updates automatically via your connected device and does so most of the times without showing it's doing it)

We'll be on the lookout for your response.
Let us know if you experience any difficulties.

Cheers!

ElenaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

As an attempt to fix this issue I have done all of this previously. Obviously to no avail.

Any other suggestions?

I also had the same issue, I can describe what's going on also: whenever I had my last session let's say at volume 3, the next time I turn on my car, the volume will stay at level 3, even if I move it to volume 0 or like volume 7, it will go back to volume 3 instantly on its own. I have to restart car thing to "fix", until it happens again, which is like once every 2-3 sessions.

Hi everybody,

Good news. We want to let you know that the folks at Spotify have made some changes backstage that should address the volume issues 🙂

Please let us know if you're still experiencing any odd behavior on your next drives or if not, to please confirm that things are looking good.

We'll be on the lookout for your replies.

AlexModerator

Is there going to be an update, if so when?

Hi @jv04,

Thanks for the reply.

Our developers are currently running various tests and are working on a fix. At this point we are unable to provide a specific timeline on when an update will be released, but rest assured we'll let you know as soon as we have any more info to share. In the meantime, make sure you keep your app / device up to date.

The Community is always here if there's anything else you need assistance with.

Cheers!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that an update has just been released and the volume issues should now be fixed, so make sure your Car Thing is connected to your phone (with internet access) so that the update can be pushed over Bluetooth.

We'd love to hear feedback from you so please let us know if everything looks good on your end after the update.

Thanks!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

How do we know it got updated? I have been in the car 4 times today (3/9/22) and the volume issue is still there. I have already updated Spotify factory and reset car thing. 2 out of the 4 times of being in my car my phone has been connected to my wifi network.

Hi @jv04

Thank you for getting back in touch with us.

If automatic updates are enabled in your phone’s app settings, Car Thing will update automatically.

Otherwise a message will appear on Car Thing when an update is available. You can choose to update with a cellular connection or wait until you have Wi-Fi.

Let us know how it works 🙂

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Usually when I use Car Thing it will just auto update on its own when I am using it usually within 1-2 uses. It will download the update in the Spotify iOS app and transfer it to the Car Thing over Bluetooth and then Car Thing saves the updated file and then next time it turns on it should have the latest update. You can check the version number in the Car Thing settings area of the iOS app or on the setting page on the Car Thing.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

What is the most recent version/OS?

Also, I am on Android, just in case, I set Spotify to have all permission, and also set Google play store settings to update over both wifi and data.

Hello, so I am back and it's been a few days, my device never updated or if it did nothing was fixed. I updated my phone, Spotify, my wifi reaches to my font yard and nothing updated.

I am using a Samsung Galaxy Note 10+.

Also, my car thing mentions the country: Sweden, is that were it originated or is that what it thinks it's current location is? My current location is in Califory, United States, my Spotify account shows the correct current country but not the car thing.

20220313_155505.jpg
20220313_155516.jpg

I show the same exact info. 

My new problem is any time I adjust the volume it jumps directly to zero or all the way to 10, and then I can't control it at all. (I'm not kidding -- sometimes it'll be at two from my last "session" and then blast to 10!)

Only a restart fixes this

I started experience the volume 0 bug as well, now that I think about it. A couple of times the volume 0 stayed on screen and didn't return to the original music function buttons.

So I'm back, with another update on my end. So soem time one of the last 3 days my car thing finally updated on its own. It finally works!! No volume issue so far!!

For those that have the problem wait til your Spotify Car Thing updates to App Version: 0.27.51 and OS Version: 6.6.10

I will attach a photo since on a previous reply I left photos with my previous App and OS versions.

20220324_152257.jpg

Hey folks,

Thank you for keeping us in the loop and for the info you shared.

@jv04, we're glad to know that everything is working fine now after the update. We hope other users had their issue resolved as well and thanks for sharing the solution that works for you.

In case that the issue is still persistent for any of you, let us know in your next response including the Spotify version and OS version currently running in your Car Thing.

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator

And, I'm back like an annoying ex....

Got a few new issues since my car thing updated to 28.25 and 6.7.7. Everything was fine after my last post where I mentioned was right.

First Issue, Volume again. This time it won't show a number on what volume I am in and sometimes it would be loud when the indicator shows it's on like 3-4 when it feels like 6-7, vice versa the same when it's like volume 7-8 but sounds like it's on volume 2-3.

Second issue, has to do with lag in changing music. It used to be be when I changed music on my phone let's say from the rear seat on a small sedan, the car thing would detect and update a second later. Now it takes about 3-5 seconds, if I changed forward to about 5 songs ahead, the car thing would barely still be on the first change.

Third issue, goes hand in hand with the first one sometimes, the song info won't load sometimes, so that means no artwork, song title, or artist name.

20220409_151502.jpg

Suggested posts