Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Car thing not connect

Car thing not connect

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

iPhone 13 Pro

Operating System

IOS 16

My Question or Issue

Hi all, My Car thing seems to have stopped connecting to my phone via Bluetooth after I updated to the latest IOS 16. Every time I forget both devices from one another in the menus, retrying the pairing process, and even factory resetting to new did not fix it. Is there any possible fix for this? I’m really hoping so due to how useful this little gadget is. Thank you!

31 Replies

Hi there @Ma2t6,

Thank you for taking the time to post in the Community. We're sorry to see that you've been having issue with the Car Thing after updating you OS. Let's take a closer look into this together.

To start with, can you reinstall the app to see if the issue persists? 

If the issue persists and it's possible, can you have someone with iOS 16 connect to your Car Thing - such as a friend or a family member to see if it makes any difference?

Let us know how it goes so that we can continue to assist you if you need us to 🙂

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I honestly think it’s since the last Spotify update there have been a few bugs, I have had the connection issue since then and can no longer connect to my home system from the iPhone app and seen others on here having the same issue. Contacted Spotify live chat about it and they just ran through tips with me to try on my end which nothing worked 🤷🏻‍♂️ guess we have to wait until next update and just hope they fix this, pretty annoying.. 

Pretty sure it’s on the Spotify end since their last update as myself and others have the same issue and have run through everything to try fix it without any luck. Hopefully Spotify are aware and roll out a bug fix asap 

Hey again @Jesse2300,

Thank you for your reply and for trying out the troubleshooting.

To continue investigate this, can you let us know if you're having trouble using Connect in general or just BT between the phone and Car Thing? It would also be great if you could give us the device and version details?

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

Cheers 🙂

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Connect in general, stopped being able to connect to home system since the last update. Been talking to live chat and they confirmed I had the latest app version on my iPhone. Also tested with another iPhone and Spotify account with the same results 

Hi there @Jesse2300,

Sorry for the delayed reply here.

There have been some backend issues with Spotify Connect recently, which could have caused this inconvenience for you.

This should now be fixed in the latest release of the app. Can you update to the latest available version and let us know if things work fine for you or you're still having issues?

Cheers.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Just got my Car Thing in the mail today. I've tried everything from power cycling my phone and Car Thing, to reinstalling the app on my phone. Still can't get Car Thing to show up on my phone's Bluetooth list, let alone connect. All other Bluetooth devices still work fine with my phone.

Phone: Google Pixel 6, updated on all fronts.

Hi there @EmoTrainRex,

Sorry to hear that you're having such issues with the Car Thing. Can you let us know if you're seeing any error messages at all?

Cheers.

AlexModerator

Hey y’all can’t get my car thing to connect either it’s really helpful for myself when I do drive but my car thing wont connect it will just continue to load and load and it will say that my phone unable to be found multiple times. I’ve tried everything even doing a factory reset, I’ve restarted it but how do we know that if we delete the app off our phone and add it will all of sudden work? Cause really I don’t think it won’t unless if you have done an recent update then yes I consider.

My iPhone 11 won’t connect either, I’ve done a factory reset and it runs through all the steps but gets stuck when asked to confirm the code. My phone will connect but the Car Thing won’t recognize it and stays on the pairing code then disconnects 

My car was working (almost) perfect until about a week later when I noticed it wouldn’t connect until I unplugged it and plugged it back in. This went on for about a month and then my car thing wouldn’t connect at all. It would get stuck on the connecting to my phone page and whenever I went to my settings and tried to connect to it manually, it would automatically disconnect. Tried factory resetting it to no avail except my car thing kept pulling me back to the app but not connecting. Super annoying. I have an iPhone and I am using the provided cord and adapter.

My Car Thing was also behaving very well until probably mid January. It wouldn't connect but a factory reset fixed it. Now it won't connect at all have an iPhone that has had no problems connecting to any other bluetooth devices. It connects and then disconnects from Car Thing over and over again when I watch in the Bluetooth menu. I love this thing for my ancient car, so not having it is heartbreaking!!

I am also having issues with my car thing. I’m on the most recent iOS on my iPhone 10s and most recent version of Spotify. My car thing was working seemless until yesterday, but now every time I power on the car thing it wants to re-pair like it’s the first time pairing with the confirmation code and everything. I can still get it to connect I just have to open up my settings and reconnect every time which is a little inconvenient. I really do love my car thing and I’d like to continue using it. I understand Spotify has quit manufacturing the car thing, but to just know y’all are still active in the forum would make me feel a lot better about my future with the car thing. Please any response would be greatly appreciated.

Hey folks,

Thanks for reaching out.

For anyone still having issues, can you please let us know your phone's model, OS version and Spotify version, so we can forward this to the team?

Cheers,

MihailYModerator

Hello same issue. I pair it, drive, turn off car, do what I need, come back out, turn the car on and it is unpaired.
iPhone 11 OS 16.3.1 is what I am working with. 

Hey @Goombata19

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

Would you mind sending us the Spotify version you're running as well? 

We'll be on the lookout. 

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I ended up bringing my CarThing upstairs and connected to it while my phone was on WiFi and this solved the problem! I have an iPhone XR, can provide versions if that's still of interest.

The app version says 0.40.5

and the OS version says 8.2.5

I will try this out tonight! Thanks for the suggestion. 

Suggested posts