Premium

Country

USA

Device

Note 8

Operating System

Android Version 9

My Question or Issue

Spotify settings --> Car Thing states the following:  "A new update is available.  It will download shortly and install next time you connect Car Thing"  This message never goes away leading me to believe I am missing an update. Car Thing restart and factory reset = no dice   Uninstall spotify app from Android device all done and still same message.  On the phone:  App version 0.19.59.  OS version 5.12.11.  Car Thing:  App version 0.19.59, OS version 5.12.11. 

10 Replies

Hey @worf87109 

Are you still having trouble updating your Car Thing device?

I think it might have to do with making sure your phone's internet connection is good so Car Thing can get the update. Please double check your phone's internet connection. Also try turning both Car Thing and your phone off, and then turning both of them back on.

The Spotify mobile app downloads the update and then sends it to Car Thing over the Bluetooth connection.

In some cases when I first got my Car Thing device, it didn't get an update right away, but after a few uses (device turning on and off) it was then updated. Like the message says, if you just use Car Thing normally, the update should auto install itself. However after some time, my Car Thing has gotten better at installing the updates.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I still have the same issue and hasn't resolved itself after a few power cycles and trying the mentioned ideas.  I have uninstalled spotify from my phone and reinstalled, factory reset the car thing.  No dice.

Hey there @worf87109,

Thanks for your reply and for the info shared.

We understand you've already tried reinstalling the app on your device, but we'd like you to try, if not done yet, a clean (more thorough) reinstall of the Spotify app. You can find out the steps to do it here.

This process contains some additional steps, so the system of your device can get rid of all the app's files. Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

We'll keep an eye on your response!

AlejaRModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Tried all of that and nothing changed. Can you confirm what the latest version actually is? 

Hey @chimera1978,

Thanks for your reply.

As far as we know, the latest versions are as follows:

• App: 0.39.11

Let us know if that matches with what you see on your end.

Keep us posted.

MihailYModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I'm having the same problem. Fix it please

Hey @ObbyDent,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

It'd be a good idea to try factory resetting your Car Thing. Below are the steps that you need to follow:

Click the Settings button. Find Restart in the list. Choose Factory Reset and press the dial to select. 

On another note, you may need to look in your phone's app settings to check if automatic updates are enabled. If they are, Car Thing will update automatically.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply! 

LyubkaModerator

I'm inside my house and have tried all of this, my car thing simply won't update and it's gotten to the point where I can't pause or skip songs on the device itself. It allows me to restart a song or go back to the previous one and skip with voice control, but the buttons don't work and I never got the original update that allows for phone calls.

Plan

Premium

Country

Canada

Device

zflip4

Operating System

android

My Question or Issue

Carthing won't update, I've reinstalled, factory reset, reset which bluetooth device was connected, etc. Spotify/Carthing show up to date at app ver 0.24.107 os is 6.3.29, however in another post about the volume knob issue they stated it was fixed in an update, "For those that have the problem wait til your Spotify Car Thing updates to App Version: 0.27.51 and OS Version: 6.6.10"

Are the updates still being pushed through the app since theyve discontinued CarThing? I bought this to replace stereo system without a volume knob.

Was my thread moved into this one with no reply...? I tried posting this topic multiple times and this website would crash, causing me to retype this, each time losing a bit of patience and information. Upon the FOURTH time it was stripped down to this post as I was not even expecting it to work, I am 99% sure I seen this in it's own thread yesterday. So to not reply and bury me in a topic about a year old that I've clearly worked through isn't a solution, but frusterating.

The steps here I have already tried. Still doesn't answer my questions and now there's minimal visibility for the problem to be solved.

Even upon trying to reply, this website failed. At least I had the foresight to copy this reply after the previous experience.

Suggested posts