NEXT STEP

Does it work with Offline Playlists?

Solved!

Does it work with Offline Playlists?

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Device

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

I simply want to know if/how this device would work with data turned off on your phone using offline playlists. Offline playlists are the reason I pay for Spotify Premium, because my phone plan is pay-as-you-go for data so I don't use data if at all possible. In the Car Thing description it says it uses your phone plan/data. I just want to know if it purely serves as a visual interface for what's playing on your Spotify phone app or if it requires being online with data to work? This alone will determine whether or not I buy this because it's a good idea but if I'm driving in areas without service it's not practical. 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @J-Freezy

Welcome to the Spotify Community!

Car Thing will work when your phone is in offline mode, but with limited functionality.

Using Car Thing requires that your phone is connected to the Car Thing with Bluetooth. If your data is turned off on your phone, make sure that Bluetooth is still connected. Car Thing is compatible with iPhone or Android using operating system versions iOS 14 and Android 8 or above.

If your mobile data on your phone is turned off or you have airplane mode turned on, or you have turned "offline mode" on in the Spotify app settings, then Car Thing will still have some limited functionality. Turning data off or having airplane mode turned on should make the Spotify app automatically go into its "offline mode" but you can also switch it on manually in the Spotify app settings.

To play music in offline mode you will need to follow the directions here to first download your music to the Spotify app:

https://support.spotify.com/article/listen-offline/

Car Thing help articles: https://support.spotify.com/us/device-help/car-thing/

When you are in offline mode in the Spotify mobile app, you will still be able to do the following limited functionality with Car Thing:

• See the current playing song including the album artwork and control it with the pause/play and next and previous song control buttons, etc

Features that do not work when in offline mode:

• Home screen that lets you view your library
  • Voice control (assistant)
  • Preset favorite buttons at the top

Screenshots:

Spotify iPhone app in offline mode

IMG_9048.PNG

Car Thing working with limited functionality with basic now playing info and controls

In my photo it shows a mic button in the bottom left corner but you should see a shuffle button there.

IMG_9050 (1).jpeg

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Marked as solution

Hey @J-Freezy

Welcome to the Spotify Community!

Car Thing will work when your phone is in offline mode, but with limited functionality.

Using Car Thing requires that your phone is connected to the Car Thing with Bluetooth. If your data is turned off on your phone, make sure that Bluetooth is still connected. Car Thing is compatible with iPhone or Android using operating system versions iOS 14 and Android 8 or above.

If your mobile data on your phone is turned off or you have airplane mode turned on, or you have turned "offline mode" on in the Spotify app settings, then Car Thing will still have some limited functionality. Turning data off or having airplane mode turned on should make the Spotify app automatically go into its "offline mode" but you can also switch it on manually in the Spotify app settings.

To play music in offline mode you will need to follow the directions here to first download your music to the Spotify app:

https://support.spotify.com/article/listen-offline/

Car Thing help articles: https://support.spotify.com/us/device-help/car-thing/

When you are in offline mode in the Spotify mobile app, you will still be able to do the following limited functionality with Car Thing:

• See the current playing song including the album artwork and control it with the pause/play and next and previous song control buttons, etc

Features that do not work when in offline mode:

• Home screen that lets you view your library
  • Voice control (assistant)
  • Preset favorite buttons at the top

Screenshots:

Spotify iPhone app in offline mode

IMG_9048.PNG

Car Thing working with limited functionality with basic now playing info and controls

In my photo it shows a mic button in the bottom left corner but you should see a shuffle button there.

IMG_9050 (1).jpeg

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts