Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Issue: Spotify music will automatically switch to phone audio when using Car Thing voice commands

Issue: Spotify music will automatically switch to phone audio when using Car Thing voice commands

I've recently got my hands on the Spotify Car Thing but I use it as a controller in my setup. The device is connected to a laptop via USB cable and is connected to my phone via Bluetooth. The Spotify software is open on my windows 10 to listen to music through my speakers. It seemed to be working fine until I noticed that when using the "hey Spotify" voice commands, the music will automatically switch to be played from the phone speaker. This made the voice command option to be useless for me since I'd need to change the device connection back to my computer every single time. A simple solution would be an option to set a default device which the music will be played on but unfortunately there is no such option. If anyone has this issue and managed to find a solution I would be grateful for any tips.

5 Replies

Hey @NicoleSnow,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community.

The troubleshooting steps for the most common issues are listed in this article.

In case you need any further help, feel free to reach out to our Support team in this link to get transferred to the correct department.

If anything else comes up, the Community will be here for you.

Cheers!

MafeGModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Car Thing's purpose is to be used in the car. Car Thing needs to be connected to your mobile phone because the playback is happening in the Spotify mobile app and the Car Thing is acting as a remote for the mobile app. The mobile phone will send the playback from the Spotify app out of the phone's speakers or will be transferred to the car's speakers either via Bluetooth or AUX connection from the phone to the car.

Spotify has a feature called Spotify Connect where you can switch the playback to another Spotify app. This will work with the desktop app, but it is not the intended use for Car Thing. The voice control feature is currently working as expected when the Car Thing switches the playback back to the mobile app because the mobile app is the only Spotify app that currently has the voice control assistant and is also currently the only app that supports playback of the voice control assistant.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

This needs to be fixed! 

This is not acceptable and makes no sense. If I'm playing back to a device via the phone app and Car thing and switch songs at the car thing it continues to play on the device that I had been playing back to. When I use Spotify voice on car thing it changes the playback device to my phone. Makes zero sense.

I would like to add a vote for the ability to set Default Speaker Option within CarThing. 

I am using a CarThing to control the spotify on my desktop and would love for all audio to be defaulted to that Spotify Connect Speaker.

Suggested posts