Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Usage of Car Thing outside of US

Solved!

Usage of Car Thing outside of US

Plan

Premium

Country

Armenia

I was wondering what does term "only available in US" actually mean. I've connected to support and have a chat with them. The main feedback was "we cannot guarantee all functionality outside of US". Still I am a bit confused and more details is needed to clarify where issues may arise. Information I have gathered till this day is that Car Thing is simply a remote controlling interface attached to iphone via bluetooth.  That means this device is not even connected to internet, as it has no wi-fi. Car thing is just a 4-inch screen for spotify app in you phone, in other words it should be connected to phone and work.

Thus, I see only two possible issue points - purchase and connection. The former is understable and resolves by lots of ways nowadays. The latter is where I stuck. What problem can I possible encounter when I do pairing with my premium account? The one thing which I can imagine is that on this step some additional request (from phone app) may be fired to check whether premium account is from US or not.

Can anyone provide a little more details on this topic.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @ogostos,

Thanks for posting here.

There aren't any country restrictions on the Car Thing, so it should technically work. However, we can't guarantee that everything will run smoothly.

Hope this sheds some light on the matter. The Community is here for you if there's anything else!

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Ordered to NZ, got it shipped via a USA based parcel forwarder. Using it happily. Didn't need a USA card for payment. It didn't stop me from setting up or even ask what country I'm from (it shows Sweden in Car Thing's Settings>About>Country field).

I am not sure if updates work in unsupported countries - it showed that one was pending and would apply next reconnection, but that didn't kick off at all. After opening Spotify as if I was in the USA (if you catch my drift) for a few minutes then it did update - I'm not sure if that was the trigger for it to kick off or not though

View solution in original post

25 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @ogostos,

Thanks for posting here.

There aren't any country restrictions on the Car Thing, so it should technically work. However, we can't guarantee that everything will run smoothly.

Hope this sheds some light on the matter. The Community is here for you if there's anything else!

Ver Moderator
Marked as solution

Ordered to NZ, got it shipped via a USA based parcel forwarder. Using it happily. Didn't need a USA card for payment. It didn't stop me from setting up or even ask what country I'm from (it shows Sweden in Car Thing's Settings>About>Country field).

I am not sure if updates work in unsupported countries - it showed that one was pending and would apply next reconnection, but that didn't kick off at all. After opening Spotify as if I was in the USA (if you catch my drift) for a few minutes then it did update - I'm not sure if that was the trigger for it to kick off or not though

OTA updates to Car Thing should not be restricted by country.

/Björn

Hi all, I have an update on this topic. My CarThing has finally arrived. Everything works as intended, without taking into account some bugs and lags here and there.  Thanks all for the help.

Hey there @ogostos,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop here.

We're happy to hear that your CarThing arrived safely and that all works as intended 🙂 Wishing you plenty miles of safe driving while listening to good music 🚗🎶

If you have more questions or need anything else, the Community is here for you.

Kiril Moderator

Hi everyone! A friend of mine wants to send me a car thing from the USA as a birthday gift. I was unsure whether it would work here in Germany (or for that matter anywhere outside the USA). Has anyone tried that? Are there official information on that? 

Hey @erichier,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

The Car thing should technically work anywhere, but since it's released for use only in the US we can't guarantee that everything will function properly if used abroad.

Other users have discussed this topic here. Feel free to check it out for more hands-on info 🙂

Take care!

AlexModerator

Hi guys,

Have any of you attempted to use Car Thing outside of the US, with a non-US account? I'm based in Europe, and will be travelling to the US soon. I was considering purchasing Car Thing while being there, but I am not entirely sure whether it will work once back in Europe with my European account - i.e. whether Spotify will actively block my European account from working with Car Thing here in Europe.

I have approached Spotify support and after asking a supervisor, the agent could only confirm that it "probably won't work". I reckon it's not 100% confirmed.

With that in mind, I'm coming to the community: have any of you tried that with any degree of reasonable success? (i.e. solutions based on using US-based VPNs or similar funky stuff are not an option)

Thanks in advance!

I've received my Car Thing today, and I can happily confirm that it works out of the box here in Switzerland. Very happy about it! 

I have to check now how to trigger the firmware update, since it does not seem to do it by itself. Thanks for the support so far!

Hey, did you simply set US in your Spotify profile? Or did you go the extra mile and connected to Spotify through an american VPN? I can't seem to get mine to update here in Switzerland.

It should update, there are no geographical limits for OTAs. The updates will happen in the background and the new firmware will be active on the next power-on after the update.

/Björn

Thanks for the reply Björn! Then I assume I run already the latest version.

Cheers

I looked into your device details and the latest version (6.10.10) is installed so you will see it next time you power on Car Thing.

/Björn

I've just reconnected it now, and indeed, I can see that the version was upgraded from 6.1.something to 6.10.10.
Thanks a lot Björn, much appreciated!

I have the same issue. I live in the USA and my account says US on my profile.  But the car thing shows Sweden as country.  I don’t understand why???  Seems like everyone gets this issue and it’s unsolved. 

The “Sweden” text has no effect or consequences. Just a bit of Spotify heritage 🙂

/Björn

Hello Eni, thanks for your support.

Since I am still interested, and not live in the USA, I have one more question.

Will it works outside the USA?

I am going to go there in a couple of weeks to visit someone, and I am wondering if it will works propertly in Spain, my country.

Thanks in advance.

Israel.

How did u order your carthing? i am from holland and really want to purchase one. Can u tell me what u did?

You can create an account with a parcel forwarding service in the US, so that you get an American address, and then have them forwarding this to you.

I’ve used Fishisfast myself a few times with success. They gave me an address in Delaware which I used when placing the order with Spotify.

Suggested posts